Rule produces "crystal growth" patterns

For discussion of other cellular automata.
dgollub

Rule produces "crystal growth" patterns

Post by dgollub » March 16th, 2010, 3:40 am

I was playing with the custom rules and discovered that under the rule 3456/234, any starting pattern creates an expanding pattern that calls to mind a growing crystal. As it expands, it will contain vertical, horizontal, and diagonal rays dividing variously stippled fields. It also seems to tend usually toward the shape of a square stood on one diagonal, sometimes toward a rhombus or a bilaterally symmetrical diamond shape. Any comments or suggestions?

mszegedy

Re: Rule produces "crystal growth" patterns

Post by mszegedy » March 23rd, 2010, 5:48 pm

I'm probably a noob for saying this (as there is probably a law for this), but: Have you found any spaceships? I'm curious to see if it is possible.

*goes and checks*

Very interesting. I didn't find any spaceships (you did say B3456/S234, as opposed to B234/S3456, right? I am having fun experimenting with the latter), but I like the "Persian rug" type of patterns. These patterns are also INCREDIBLY hard to upset. They keep regenerating, even if I cut out a considerable part.

Nice work!

EDIT: Oh, and this should probably be moved to "Other Cellular Automata".
Last edited by mszegedy on March 25th, 2010, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sokwe

Re: Rule produces "crystal growth" patterns

Post by Sokwe » March 23rd, 2010, 7:32 pm

mszegedy wrote:This should probably be moved to "Other Cellular Automata".
Done
mszegedy wrote:you did say B3456/S234, right?
I believe B234/S3456 was intended (when a rule is simply written xx/yy, x's are survival rules and y's are birth rules).
mszegedy wrote:Have you found any spaceships? I'm curious to see if it is possible.
The best place to find spaceships in Life-like cellular automata is at David Eppstein's database here.
-Matthias Merzenich