Lenia - a new continuous CA

For discussion of other cellular automata.
simsim314

Lenia - a new continuous CA

Post by simsim314 » April 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

A new collection of continuous rules. It has a very natural "biological" feeling to it, and it has won The virtual creatures competition 2018 (Kyoto).
Lenia.jpg
Lenia.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
The author has published a java script applet with several creatures, a github page a video, and an article.

Moosey

Re: Lenia - a new continuous CA

Post by Moosey » April 19th, 2019, 3:40 pm

simsim314 wrote:A new collection of continuous rules. It has a very natural "biological" feeling to it, and it has won The virtual creatures competition 2018 (Kyoto).
Lenia.jpg
The author has published a java script applet with several creatures, a github page a video, and an article.
Neat! Does anyone have vti files for ready?

Or for that matter, advice on how to change the rule in ready (to Lenia)
not active here but active on discord

Chakazul

Re: Lenia - a new continuous CA

Post by Chakazul » May 5th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Moosey wrote:
simsim314 wrote:A new collection of continuous rules. It has a very natural "biological" feeling to it, and it has won The virtual creatures competition 2018 (Kyoto).
Lenia.jpg
Neat! Does anyone have vti files for ready?

Or for that matter, advice on how to change the rule in ready (to Lenia)
Greetings. I'm not familiar with Golly / Ready / Shadertoy at this moment, but implementing Lenia in these tools would make it easier to play with the model. At least for now, the Python program can save patterns in RLE format.

For decades, I experimented with numerous variations of GoL (multi states, larger radii, relaxed rules), and finally (re)discovered the strange world of Lenia, a continuous, generalized version of GoL. Evans' Larger-than-Life and Rafler's SmoothLife are along the same line of investigation. I wonder if the GoL community is interested in these smooth / continuous CAs?

Lenia's patterns are more biological-like and fuzzy, quite different from GoL's discrete patterns that are capable of universal computation. I'm exploring with simsim314 whether Lenia could be Turing complete as well.