Cellular Automaton Stack Exchange

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
testitemqlstudop

Cellular Automaton Stack Exchange

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 7th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Hello everyone!

I proposed a new Stack Exchange Q&A site here: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposa ... gevQBdmIA2

Remember to support this proposal by following it and asking more example questions on it!

Thank you,
Testitem Qlstudio

(I'm glad that this is in The Sandbox and not in other forums.)

Alexey_Nigin

Re: Cellular Automaton Stack Exchange

Post by Alexey_Nigin » September 8th, 2016, 5:30 am

Supported the proposal.

Sadly, it still needs 57 more followers, which is about the total number of active members on these forums. So we need to get everyone to create an account and press "follow". From my experience, it will be very difficult, if not impossible. Moreover, I think some people will refuse to follow on the basis that "Thread for basic questions" already does the same thing. This is quite unfortunate, since I would like to see the proposal work out.

On the other hand, there seems to be no time limit for proposals on this site. Maybe it will collect the necessary number of followers over the years.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

testitemqlstudop

Re: Cellular Automaton Stack Echange

Post by testitemqlstudop » September 8th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Tell me if i should promote this topic to the Patterns forum lol

(isn't this advertizing? Well at least I found a good place to post this since my past CA proposals kept getting deleted from inactivity :()

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » November 23rd, 2016, 9:50 pm

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » November 23rd, 2016, 9:52 pm

Alexey_Nigin wrote:Supported the proposal.

Sadly, it still needs 57 more followers, which is about the total number of active members on these forums. So we need to get everyone to create an account and press "follow". From my experience, it will be very difficult, if not impossible. Moreover, I think some people will refuse to follow on the basis that "Thread for basic questions" already does the same thing. This is quite unfortunate, since I would like to see the proposal work out.

On the other hand, there seems to be no time limit for proposals on this site. Maybe it will collect the necessary number of followers over the years.
I need one follower a month or the proposal would be deleted :(

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 30th, 2016, 9:02 am

testitemqlstudop wrote:Tell me if i should promote this topic to the Patterns forum...
Just went and looked this morning. Another ten followers have showed up, so there are 47 to go.

I'll try linking to this thread from a moderately relevant question-gathering thread over on the Website Discussion forum. The Patterns forum seems like the wrong place to try any promotions.
Alexey_Nigin wrote:So we need to get everyone to create an account and press "follow". From my experience, it will be very difficult, if not impossible. Moreover, I think some people will refuse to follow on the basis that "Thread for basic questions" already does the same thing.
With any luck the link will add a little question-asking energy to the LifeWiki Did-You-Know thread as well as this one. A lot of the questions that have showed up so far on the Stack Exchange board aren't exactly what you'd call "basic questions", really. On the other hand, a few have been showing up that do have known answers, so they would be appropriate for Did-You-Knows... most of them are there already, though.

praosylen

Post by praosylen » January 26th, 2017, 5:11 pm

This proposal's activity seems to be dying out. I expended my last example question to keep it meeting the minimum activity requirements, so I can't do that in the future now. If some more people here could contribute, maybe the proposal could stay alive for a while longer. (Also see my Discussion post on the proposal page.)
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » July 12th, 2017, 1:46 pm

A for awesome wrote:This proposal's activity seems to be dying out. I expended my last example question to keep it meeting the minimum activity requirements, so I can't do that in the future now. If some more people here could contribute, maybe the proposal could stay alive for a while longer. (Also see my Discussion post on the proposal page.)
The suggestion to move the proposal to the Science category was implemented back in March, it looks like. It's a little confusing: there's a link there to a proposal that was deleted due to inactivity. But the original proposal is still alive and well... maybe just barely, but new followers have continued to trickle in very slowly.

Like A for awesome, I've now asked my fifth question, so I can't help keep the proposal alive after July. And yes, once again I failed to escape from my obsessive focus on B3/S23.

So -- please, could people with more wide-ranging interests sign up, if they haven't already, and ask interesting questions about isotropic or anisotropic rules? I know cellular automata enthusiasts are kind of a rare breed, but I'm sure it's possible to make it from 30 followers to 60 on that proposal, somehow...!

Actually it appears that questions about cellular automata are being asked most often not in the Science category, but in the Computer Science category and in Programming Puzzles and Code Golf. Maybe someone who can figure out how to move the proposal should try one more move...?

praosylen

Post by praosylen » September 12th, 2017, 5:36 pm

The proposal was closed a few days ago after a year in the Definition phase, and I took it upon myself to restart it here (or here if you want to give me free reputation), since @testitemqlstudio seems to be inactive recently. If people would be willing to repost some or all of their example questions from last time, hopefully we'll have better luck this time around.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » September 19th, 2017, 5:57 pm

A for awesome wrote:The proposal was closed a few days ago after a year in the Definition phase, and I took it upon myself to restart it... If people would be willing to repost some or all of their example questions from last time, hopefully we'll have better luck this time around.
Doesn't look good so far, I'm afraid -- I'm getting this at both links:
This proposal has been deleted.

Inactive proposals that do not receive any activity for one month are subject to deletion. Occasionally, proposals may be removed from Area 51 for reasons of moderation: spam, off topic, abuse, etc. For more information, see the FAQ.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » July 21st, 2020, 9:20 pm

Sorry for necroposting - is anyone willing to restart it as part of the broader audience?

Moosey

Post by Moosey » July 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am

Huh, now that this thread has been dug up I notice it was started on my brithday in 2016.
not active here but active on discord

Hunting

Post by Hunting » July 22nd, 2020, 9:14 am

Moosey wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am
Huh, now that this thread has been dug up I notice it was started on my brithday in 2016.
Advertisement: The 1+ language showcase - go upvote!

Moosey

Post by Moosey » July 22nd, 2020, 10:01 am

Hunting wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 9:14 am
Moosey wrote:
I'm not on stack exchange.
not active here but active on discord

PkmnQ

Post by PkmnQ » July 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am

Moosey wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 10:01 am
Hunting wrote:
Moosey wrote:
Well, I am. And I already upvoted.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » July 22nd, 2020, 10:35 am

PkmnQ wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am
Moosey wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 10:01 am
Hunting wrote:

Well, I am. And I already upvoted.
Thank you! We still need a few more upvotes to get to the interesting part though.

(Apparently I'm treating 1 vote as 2 and 2 votes as 3)