Remember the good old days?

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Saka

Remember the good old days?

Post by Saka » November 27th, 2016, 5:31 am

Do you guys remember the good old days when we had to use python scripts to apgsearch and a 1M soup haul was amazing? Do you remember before zdr joined in, the loafer was still new? Do you remember when we all used Golly 2.6? Do you remember when you dont have to be trusted to edit the wiki? Do you remember when rules with hensel notation were not a thing? Do you remember extendedlife? Do you remember when the other cellular automata was only life-like automata? Do you remember when the only knightship was Gemini? Do you remember when we shared jokes in general discussion? That was 2014 (2013?). Man I hate nostalgia

drc

Re: Remember the good old days?

Post by drc » November 27th, 2016, 2:11 pm

And I wasn't around then! Lucky you guys.

muzik

Post by muzik » November 27th, 2016, 3:35 pm

When I wasn't mucking the whole place up?

praosylen

Post by praosylen » November 27th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Yes. When I posted Cyclic in the Accidental Discoveries thread -- where it had already been posted there multiple times --, when TOLLCASS was the best there was in census data (apart from Achim's and Okracinski's work, which I didn't even know about and didn't even include anything other than Life), when the current isotropic-non-totalistic rule craze was just an idea sparked in my mind by this post. I'm not really sure if they were the good old days or the bad old days. Of course, we're some to talk; after all, there are some real old timers on these forums, the likes of @moebius and @DeanHickerson and many others who I'm too tired to think of right now. Back when they were first starting with Life, there weren't even c/3 spaceships, let alone 31c/240 and (23,5)c/79 and all of the weird things we have nowadays!
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

Saka

Post by Saka » November 28th, 2016, 3:39 am

For some reason it says I joined in 2015 but I'm pretty sure I joined in something like 2013/2014

calcyman

Post by calcyman » November 28th, 2016, 8:13 am

Saka wrote:Do you guys remember the good old days when we had to use python scripts to apgsearch and a 1M soup haul was amazing?
I think that even the first Catagolue-compatible version of apgsearch had a default of 5M soups per haul. What is nostalgic, however, was the ability to 'q' in the middle of a soup search and result in a partially-completed haul being uploaded to Catagolue.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » November 29th, 2016, 9:22 am

calcyman wrote:
Saka wrote:Do you guys remember the good old days when we had to use python scripts to apgsearch and a 1M soup haul was amazing?
I think that even the first Catagolue-compatible version of apgsearch had a default of 5M soups per haul...
1M soup hauls did still seem impressive, though, getting generated so fast and showing up nicely summarized on their own Web page.
A for awesome wrote:Of course, we're some to talk; after all, there are some real old timers on these forums, the likes of @moebius and @DeanHickerson and many others who I'm too tired to think of right now. Back when they were first starting with Life, there weren't even c/3 spaceships, let alone 31c/240 and (23,5)c/79 and all of the weird things we have nowadays!
Yeah, I've been thinking of posting something about older good old days, but I'm a Johnny-come-lately to the Life scene myself -- got started in 2001. That was a couple of years before the first glider recipe was found for a non-standard non-Cordership spaceship. Also a couple of years before Golly, so I can say "remember MCell? and remember how blazingly fast Life32 was by comparison?" People really had to recalibrate their blazingly-fast-o-meters when it was suddenly possible to display and run patterns like these.

But 2001 was over half a decade after the Really Good Old Twentieth-Century Days that I missed because I wasn't paying attention. (Or maybe it was just that Google didn't exist until late 1998, so I had no way of knowing where to look.) Before 1995-96 there was no stable circuitry, including stable reflectors -- and not even any odd-period glider guns, for that matter.

And yet proofs of the universality of Life went way back to 1970, when a lot of Lifenthusiasts were still using graph paper, Go boards, or square floor tiles to make discoveries. From today's perspective, that sounds suspiciously like "we had to walk five miles through the snow to school in my day. Uphill! Both ways!" -- but that was all that most Scientific American readers had available.

Even in 1992, people would ask questions along the lines of "How did Dean construct his big [Corder]ships? (After all, an AppleII isn't too fast a machine, so his program must be really good!)" Impressiveness is relative, and a 10-engine Cordership was pretty awe-inspiring when there weren't any Gemini spaceships to compare them to...!

muzik

Post by muzik » December 8th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Sally wrote:I just remember my good old days when I could live a normal life without medications... those were the days...
not sure if bot