Pet Peeves

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Cclee

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Cclee » October 23rd, 2017, 10:22 am

Saka wrote:
mniemiec wrote:People posting tons of "new" discoveries that have been known for decades, showing that they've not observed standard netiquette by reading the forums a while before posting, nor done the most minimal research about whether things have been already known, despit repeated posts about where to find such resources (e.g. jslife, wiki, Life lexicon, etc.).

People posting tons of useless "new" discoveries that take longer to post than to find (e.g. "look what happens when I put this blinker next to this beehive").

Newbies with attitudes, who think they know more than people who have been part of the community for years or even decades.
That's G U S T A V O right there

Also, when you walk into a wall slowly and carefully but you hit your teeth on the wall and it hurts so bad.
Why did you walk into the wall in the first place?
^
What ever up there likely useless

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » October 23rd, 2017, 3:04 pm

Saka wrote:Also, when you walk into a wall slowly and carefully but you hit your teeth on the wall and it hurts so bad.
Do you often walk into a wall, slowly and carefully, with your mouth open?

toroidalet

When people promote a channel/account on non-(social media)

Post by toroidalet » October 24th, 2017, 10:47 pm

When you wake up and it hurts all over and you can't make it not hurt.
When you hit a part of your body (teeth, knees, toes, etc) on a hard but not sharp object and it really hurts.
When a grammar-correcting person doesn't recognize homonyms or alternate spellings (dryly vs drily, color vs colour, meter vs metre, etc)
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » October 26th, 2017, 8:38 am

Pet Peeves
Funny bones. Seriously, what's up with those...

Also, sloppy LifeWiki edits. People harping on about "how about ${FEATURE}/${SCRIPT}/..." every time a new version of some tool like Golly, apgsearch or so is posted. People submitting 1-soup hauls to Catagolue (an abuse of a "feature" originally only intended to allow Calcyman to upload object count correction hauls after the switch engine detection bug in apgnano 2.x). And people using non-standard (and sometimes ambiguous) rulestrings on Catagolue.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

toroidalet

Post by toroidalet » October 29th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Those websites where every url click takes you to a new tab. Seriously, why do they need to do that? It's a hassle to close out the previous tab (or you can just leave it up, but then your browser gets clogged up with a bunch of useless tabs).
New technology obsoleting old file systems, especially with updates. Why can't they just convert the old files automatically instead of rendering them unusable? Even if the old system was inefficient, isn't automatic conversion a better idea than just forcing people to trash their data?
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » October 30th, 2017, 3:53 am

toroidalet wrote:Those websites where every url click takes you to a new tab. Seriously, why do they need to do that? It's a hassle to close out the previous tab (or you can just leave it up, but then your browser gets clogged up with a bunch of useless tabs).
New technology obsoleting old file systems, especially with updates. Why can't they just convert the old files automatically instead of rendering them unusable? Even if the old system was inefficient, isn't automatic conversion a better idea than just forcing people to trash their data?
The two main reasons I can think of to have multiple tabs is if you want to rapidly switch back and forth between two tabs without constantly have to incur the time and bandwidth penalties to do so, or if the source page includes state information that is either difficult or impossible to restore, or requires much computation.

In my own web site, the one page I specifically set to open all links in other tabs is the search page - because it takes a long time to load, and if you perform a search that yields a list of objects, and then click on an object. it would be a pain to hit BACK and have the search results erased.

Another place I REALLY wish opened lnks in a new tab is Facebook. I loathe the way it presents articles to you once, and then "thoughtfully" omits them once it knows you have seen them. I am constantly accidentally mis-clicking on an article I want to read and unwillingly launching somebody else's personal page, and hitting BACK not only does not return me to what I was previously reading, but since Facebook deems that I've already seen it, I can't even find the article again unless somebody posts to it and it shows up in the feed again. Since the feed is also presented in reverse chronological order, trying to read older posts is difficult, requiring pages and pages of scrolling. This would be even more difficult if every time you looked at one, returning to your feed would return you back to the very beginning.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » October 30th, 2017, 10:43 am

toroidalet wrote:Those websites where every url click takes you to a new tab. Seriously, why do they need to do that? It's a hassle to close out the previous tab (or you can just leave it up, but then your browser gets clogged up with a bunch of useless tabs).
Worse yet (IMO) are websites that don't support having multiple tabs open at the same time and that will detect this using Javascript, and disable the background tabs. Bonus points if you don't just have to click away an overlay, but you also won't go back to whatever you were previously looking at in that tab. (OpenOLAT, I'm looking at you.)

(The reason for this rather unusual design choice appears to be a lack of trust in such novel browser features as "back" and "forward" buttons, BTW.)
Automatic conversion of filesystems would be impossible in practice, but supporting older filesystems should be a given. Which ones specifically can't you use anymore?
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

Saka

Post by Saka » November 8th, 2017, 7:11 am

When you're blowing your nose and then tears suddenly squirt out from below your eyes into your eyeball.

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » November 8th, 2017, 10:02 am

When I'm opening for somebody a door that closes itself but he/she/it pushes it anyway.
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Code: Select all

b4o25bo$o29bo$b3o3b3o2bob2o2bob2o2bo3bobo$4bobo3bob2o2bob2o2bobo3bobo$
4bobo3bobo5bo5bo3bobo$o3bobo3bobo5bo6b4o$b3o3b3o2bo5bo9bobo$24b4o!

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » December 7th, 2018, 11:48 am

Things that really annoy me:
1. When someone doesn't want to listen to my explanation of something that they complain about themselves (This one is the one I most hate, and I absolutely don't understand why people do this to me. It isn't annoying only if the person tells that my explaniation doesn't matter, which I understand.)

2. When someone doesn't want to answer my question like a normal person and instead says: 'because', because no' etc.

Other things I don't like:
3. When I say that I thought that something is in some way but actually isn't, then that person says that it isn't this way, then I say that I know it isn't this way because I said that I THOUGHT, not THINK (now) it is this way.

4. When I say something to someone and that person says something as I wouldn't tell him what I told in the first place.

5. When I say something and then someone says that what I said wouldn't, for example, change anything. Then I say that what I said wasn't supposed to, in this case, change something, that I just wanted to say it.
All those things make me feel better than two thirds of the world.
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Sarp

Post by Sarp » December 7th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Can relate
WADUFI

PkmnQ

Post by PkmnQ » December 8th, 2018, 1:40 am

The fact that I can't download anything from the forums because I'm using iOS.
Seriously, I can't even do it from the Help tab!

Redstoneboi

Post by Redstoneboi » December 8th, 2018, 3:13 am

when i post something but literally everyone is offline because i'm on the other side of the world
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.
「Fluffy」has the ability to engineer r e p l i c a t o r s.
「Fluffy」likes to watch spaceship guns in Golly.
「Fluffy」knows Natsuki best girl.

Redstoneboi

Post by Redstoneboi » December 8th, 2018, 3:22 am

double posting something mostly useless instead of editing
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.

Gamedziner

Post by Gamedziner » December 8th, 2018, 4:38 am

Redstoneboi wrote:when i post something but literally everyone is offline because i'm on the other side of the world
That moment when you make such a post, and that's the one rare time someone happens to be on.
Last edited by Gamedziner on December 8th, 2018, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

x = 81, y = 96, rule = LifeHistory
58.2A$58.2A3$59.2A17.2A$59.2A17.2A3$79.2A$79.2A2$57.A$56.A$56.3A4$27.
A$27.A.A$27.2A21$3.2A$3.2A2.2A$7.2A18$7.2A$7.2A2.2A$11.2A11$2A$2A2.2A
$4.2A18$4.2A$4.2A2.2A$8.2A!

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » December 8th, 2018, 4:59 am

Redstoneboi wrote:double posting something mostly useless instead of editing
Because else you wouldn't notice me.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » January 7th, 2019, 6:13 am

When you are making a nobody-care-in-this-forum Wireworld game.

wwei23

Post by wwei23 » January 11th, 2019, 8:42 am

When you miss the bus on THE worst possible day.
It's Friday, so my brother has to go to school early, keeping my mom from driving me to school.
My dad is away, keeping him from driving me to school.
No one got mad at me for missing the bus in 2011, but now it's 2019.
I challenge you to give me a worse possible day to miss the bus.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » January 11th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Redstoneboi wrote:when i post something but literally everyone is offline because i'm on the other side of the world
Same...

Saka

Post by Saka » January 11th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Hunting wrote:
Same...
Then Redstoneboi's statement is wrong :P
Anyway same

Redstoneboi

Post by Redstoneboi » January 26th, 2019, 10:00 am

== true
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.

Hunting

Post by Hunting » January 26th, 2019, 12:13 pm

When you are playing a chess game over the internet and the opponent...
disappears in a position where you can gives a very nice checkmate

Redstoneboi

Post by Redstoneboi » January 26th, 2019, 9:20 pm

geometry dash comments on good songs
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » January 26th, 2019, 11:28 pm

"x brought me here" comments in general

wwei23

Post by wwei23 » February 2nd, 2019, 8:00 pm

Having to press the okay button on a prompt saying something you're not okay with