Mafia poll

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.

Would you like to play mafia?

Yes
27%
No
7%
I'd be willing to mod
20%
WHY?
47%

Total votes: 15

Cclee

Mafia poll

Post by Cclee » October 18th, 2017, 7:05 pm

While I figure out how exactly to make this a poll, how many of you would be up for mafia?

dvgrn

Re: Mafia poll

Post by dvgrn » October 18th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Cclee wrote:While I figure out how exactly to make this a poll, how many of you would be up for mafia
Specifically, some kind of Game-of-Life-themed mafia, I think you said? Not that I know what that would look like exactly.

A quick look at the link says it's an xkcd forum game almost but not quite as crazy as Nomic -- which I learned about from Douglas Hofstadter's Metamagical Themas column in Scientific American sometime in the previous millenium, but I see it also gets played on the xkcd forums sometimes.

@Cclee, if you really can't see the "Poll creation" tab when you click the Edit button on your original post above --
Poll-creation.png
Poll-creation.png (17.38 KiB) Viewed 10089 times
-- then just tell me what poll question and options you want based on the screenshot, and I'll edit them in there for you.

Cclee

Post by Cclee » October 18th, 2017, 8:46 pm

dvgrn wrote:
Cclee wrote:While I figure out how exactly to make this a poll, how many of you would be up for mafia
Specifically, some kind of Game-of-Life-themed mafia, I think you said? Not that I know what that would look like exactly.

A quick look at the link says it's an xkcd forum game almost but not quite as crazy as Nomic -- which I learned about from Douglas Hofstadter's Metamagical Themas column in Scientific American sometime in the previous millenium, but I see it also gets played on the xkcd forums sometimes.

@Cclee, if you really can't see the "Poll creation" tab when you click the Edit button on your original post above --
Poll-creation.png
-- then just tell me what poll question and options you want based on the screenshot, and I'll edit them in there for you.
Nah i really can't
options: anwsers per person 1, options, yes, no, i'd be willing to mod, WHY, days, all
topic, would you like to play mafia
^
What ever up there likely useless

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 18th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Cclee wrote:options: anwsers per person 1, options, yes, no, i'd be willing to mod, WHY, days, all
Okay, done.

I think the Rules and Noob Guide thread should be stickied -- I didn't notice it at first, and wandered off and almost got eaten by werewolves instead.

Cclee

Post by Cclee » October 18th, 2017, 10:49 pm

dvgrn wrote:
Cclee wrote:options: anwsers per person 1, options, yes, no, i'd be willing to mod, WHY, days, all
Okay, done.

I think the Rules and Noob Guide thread should be stickied -- I didn't notice it at first, and wandered off and almost got eaten by werewolves instead.
Hey thanks a lot
^

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » February 22nd, 2018, 8:23 am

I quite enjoy mafia games; both participating in and modding.

There is a mafia style game I've played a few times called "rainbow cop". I've worked out a way to adapt it for CGoL!
Rainbow cop is a good choice because it is fun for the same reasons as mafia (not knowing other people's roles and having to use deduction and strategy), but can be played with less people; 4 is enough. 5 is probably the optimal number though (but I've never tried with 6 or more). It also has the added twist that not everyone knows their "exact roles".

Anyway, does anyone want to play!? I'll probably mod, because I'm the one who knows the rules and its adaption to CGoL. I'll wait until people express their interest before explaining how the game works in more detail (unless anyone wants me to do so now).

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » February 22nd, 2018, 11:05 am

Sounds a bit like airlock. The only thing is that discord.gg/3bucsA5 seems a better place to host it
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » February 23rd, 2018, 5:24 am

Majestas32 wrote:The only thing is that discord.gg/3bucsA5 seems a better place to host it
Unfortunately I am unable to access Discord. But If there's enough participants, I'm happy to step out and allow other people to run the game on Discord. I'm also happy to play and let someone else mod who doesn't eant to play but will mod. Because of this I will post the rules.

How the game works for 5 people.

The roles:
4 of the people are the 4 basic spaceships (cops).
1 person is an eater 1 (the mafia).
The four different spaceships have investigative powers to see whether a person in innocent or guilty (an eater).
The spaceships use their sparks to investigate another person.
However, the catch is that the spaceships don't know what type they are, so they have to use logic to work out their and other people's spaceships.

The HWSS:
The HWSS's sparks are too big to work properly and show someone as innocent. So the HWSS always returns guilty.

The MWSS:
The MWSS has good sparks that are not too big, so it is a good investigator and correctly finds a spaceship to be innocent and a eater to be guilty

The LWSS:
The LWSS's sparks are to small to properly investigate someone, so they always return innocent.

The glider:
As you may have noticed, the glider has no sparks. The glider realises their incapability (unlike the HWSS and LWSS), and decides their best option is to alternate between returning innocent and guilty. But you don't know what they'll start on.

Gameplay:
  • The eater is notified via a PM from the moderator that they are the eater
  • Each spaceship is notified via a PM from the moderator that they are a spaceship, but are not told what type they are
  • The moderator announces NIGHT FALLS - no one can post on the thread.
  • The eater sends a PM to the moderator saying who they wish to eat.
  • The moderator should reply with "consumption confirmed"
  • The spaceships send a PM to the moderator about who they wish to investigate. They cannot investigate themselves.
  • The moderator will reply "innocent" or "guilty", depending on what type of spaceship they are and who was investigated
  • The moderator announces MORNING FALLS. The moderator announces who died.
  • Everyone except those who have died can now post in the thread. It is common to discuss your results, but the eater will have to make them up.
  • The players can vote to bombard a player who they think is the eater with sparks until they die (equivalent of lynching). You can also vote to not lynch.
  • You have the day to try and persuade people to do particular votes. After that bombarding is finalised, somebody may die from bombardment, and NIGHT FALLS again.
The process continues until one of the following two things happen:
  • If you are the eater and have been bombarded, reveal yourself as the eater. The spacehips win.
  • If there are only two people left and one of them is the mafia, the mafia win.
I hope that makes sense. So with the rules explained, does anyone want to play?

Saka

Post by Saka » February 23rd, 2018, 5:41 am

Goldtiger997 wrote: If you are the eater and have been bombarded, reveal yourself as the eater. The space(s)hips win.

I hope that makes sense. So with the rules explained, does anyone want to play?
If the spaceships have made their decision on who is the eater, they should ask the suspect to reveal themselves instead of the eater voluntarily revealing himself.

I want to play!

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » February 23rd, 2018, 9:50 am

Either I or jgallant can be sandbox mod if I host it on my server. Maybe there can be a forum one and a separate discord one?
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

dani

Post by dani » February 23rd, 2018, 11:22 am

i want to play here.

i will not join the server

Cclee

Post by Cclee » February 23rd, 2018, 12:35 pm

K I’ll play
(Look it’s me)
^

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » February 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm

The separate discord link is at http://discord.gg/qn7UT6d btw.

I and jgallant are mods
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Cclee

Post by Cclee » February 23rd, 2018, 5:42 pm

wont be able to play till later like mabye 4-5
^

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » February 23rd, 2018, 8:13 pm

Majestas32 wrote:Maybe there can be a forum one and a separate discord one?
Probably all the players should be found before we decide on forum or discord. So here are all the players I see:

Players
danny (doesn't want to do discord)
Saka
Cclee
Goldtiger997 (I'm also happy to mod. I can't do discord)

Mods
Majestas32 (EDIT: only for discord)
Other people who said so in the poll (perhaps confirm who you are)...

For the game to be best we need one more confirmed player, or at least two more for doing it on discord.

I'll also clarify some things I missed in my original post.

I know that an eater 1 can't eat a HWSS. This is the explanation: The HWSSs is a pretty big morsel for the 7-cell eater 1, so it can't eat the HWSS whole and has to spit a bit of the HWSS out which turns into a loaf. The HWSS then dies of sadness that it will never again be able to glide across the endless planes of life.

There are also three other possible spaceship roles I am aware of. One gives a random result, One returns the opposite of the truth, and one returns the result that their investigatee would have got if they had investigated the original investigator (assume guilty for eater). Some of these new roles could be used instead, but I think that the ones mentioned in my above post have a better balance for 5 people and are better for a first game.
Last edited by Goldtiger997 on February 23rd, 2018, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » February 23rd, 2018, 8:35 pm

I'm only a mod for discord
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

KittyTac

Post by KittyTac » February 24th, 2018, 12:33 am

For the second game, we might introduce the "cop"perhead. C'mon, can't miss that pun! I don't know what special property will it have, possibly a random answer?

Cclee

Post by Cclee » February 25th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Ι won’t be able to discord often
^

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » March 9th, 2018, 7:35 pm

I'll sign up for the Discord one.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » March 9th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Alright the link should be in #off-topic

If ur willing to make the rules ofc
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » March 9th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Wait what

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » March 9th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » March 9th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Am I supposed to mod a mafia game or something

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » March 9th, 2018, 11:31 pm

You don't have to mod you can just play if you want.

(But what about ur sig lol)
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » March 9th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Golly rules D: