Try SphereLife !

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
thender

Try SphereLife !

Post by thender » July 21st, 2018, 3:14 pm

Hi Folks,

Brand new to ConwayLife.com. I've been fascinated with the game for a long time. So I tried my hand at implementing a game on Android.

To make things more visually appealing, I mapped the game to the surface of a sphere, hence, SphereLife. I also added some hacks to make it more interactive.

If you have an Android phone or tablet, go to GooglePlay and search SphereLife. It installs in seconds.

I'd really like to get some expert's opinions and thoughts for future development.

Tom Henderson

Hdjensofjfnen

Re: Try SphereLife !

Post by Hdjensofjfnen » July 21st, 2018, 7:45 pm

Awesome Tom! I'll go check it out.
Also, have you ever heard of toroidal Life? Like this:

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = B3/S23:T20,20
3o$obo$obo!

x = 5, y = 9, rule = B3-jqr/S01c2-in3
3bo$4bo$o2bo$2o2$2o$o2bo$4bo$3bo!

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
4b3o$6bo$o3b3o$2o$bo!

thender

Post by thender » July 22nd, 2018, 9:15 am

Yes, almost as soon as I got on this site I realized that a torus is a perfect 3d object to lay out an "infinite" space for the algorithm.
My sphere has a seam, where the cell relationships are corrupted.

Redstoneboi

Post by Redstoneboi » July 23rd, 2018, 5:59 am

you could simulate spherical grids in Golly, but currently there's no script to display it on a sphere.
c(>^w^<c)~*
This is 「Fluffy」
「Fluffy」is my sutando.
「Fluffy」has the ability to engineer r e p l i c a t o r s.
「Fluffy」likes to watch spaceship guns in Golly.
「Fluffy」knows Natsuki best girl.

thender

Post by thender » July 23rd, 2018, 1:04 pm

Won't someone actually try the app?

It looks look this group focuses on the math, or logic, of GOL (game of life). I'm looking to make some art with it.

So although I can see how one would easily make the edges of a grid continuous in the algorithm, and get a representation of a torus, I'd like to see an actual torus in 3 dimensions.

That's what the app does. It is a 3D spherical object that a user can manipulate and see from many viewpoints.

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » July 23rd, 2018, 1:06 pm

thender wrote:Won't someone actually try the app?
Unfortunately, I don't have any Android devices. Any chance of putting it on iOS at some point? Or is there some way to get it on PC?
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.