ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Introductions

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.

Re: Introductions

Postby KittyTac » March 14th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Crrrrrrystal wrote:Hello all. I'm just a college student that likes to fill his limited free time with looking through random math-related disciplines. I'm making an account after finding out about the recently discovered elementary knightship (congrats, everyone!), which resparked my old passion for CAs.

Recently, I've been looking through and found:
B245/S367.
Pretty generally boring rule with some still lifes and oscillators, but it has one surprisingly low-population long-period oscillator (168 generations) that is surprisingly common, I've found it in the ash of most sufficiently large soups. It mirrors itself with an offset of 4 tiles after 84 generations. Go check it out!

x = 2, y = 6, rule = B367/S245
bo$o$o$o$o$bo!

You mixed up the birth and survival numbers.
KittyTac

Postby dvgrn » March 15th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Crrrrrrystal wrote:Pretty generally boring rule with some still lifes and oscillators, but it has one surprisingly low-population long-period oscillator (168 generations) that is surprisingly common, I've found it in the ash of most sufficiently large soups. It mirrors itself with an offset of 4 tiles after 84 generations. Go check it out!

It works in B3678/S245 also, apparently.
dvgrn

Postby Giada Carrara » March 29th, 2018, 8:32 am

Hi everyone!
I'm Giada, and I've been interested in Conway's game of life - and cellular automata - for a while, and I've been reading this forum without registering, but I don't know enough yet to discover anything new and notable (so, I won't be able to contribute to the community for some time).
While I was reading the forum as a guest, I've been positively surprised by how skilled the members are, and I hope to reach such a level one day.

Even if it's a little late, I congratulate Adam P.Goucher (calcyman) and Rokichi for the discovery of the first elementary knightship, Sir Robin.
Last edited by Giada Carrara on March 29th, 2018, 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catagolue user page: https://catagolue.appspot.com/user/Giada%20Carrara

x = 3, y = 5, rule = B34city/S23
bo$2o$obo$b2o$2bo24$o$3o$b2o$3o$bo12$2b3obo$o2b2o$o5bo$o2b2o$2b3obo12$b2o$3o3$2o$o$o!
Giada Carrara

Postby Saka » March 29th, 2018, 8:51 am

Giada Carrara wrote:Hi everyone!
(Snipped)

Welcome! We're glad to have you here! Consider joining our Discord Server.

Check out the OCA section, it's full of cool stuff not found in Life, especially the Miscellanepus Discoveries thread.
If you're the person that uploaded to Sakagolue illegally, please PM me.
x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!

(Check gen 2)
Saka

Postby Majestas32 » March 29th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Also download apgsearch
Please, stop spam searching Snowflakes.
Majestas32

Postby danny » April 9th, 2018, 9:55 am

hi im the infamous hacker drc i know how to ddos your conwaylife account and send packets with it to mine blockchains
Please stop using my full name. Refer to me as dani.

she/they

"I'm always on duty, even when I'm off duty." -Cody Kolodziejzyk, Ph.D.
danny

Postby DoggyDogWhirl » October 13th, 2018, 11:53 am

Oops, starting this up again because I exist now I guess! Even though it's pretty much against one of the rules!

I've known about CGoL since 3 or 4 years ago but then I stopped caring...
But then around March or whenever, about when Sir Robin was discovered I think, I came back and have been interested ever since, which albeit is not the best track record compared to others here.

I've been lurking around since then, except today, where I finally decided to make an account. I figured I should find an introduction thread, and I guess this is it, however old it is.

I haven't made any important discoveries that I know of, mainly because I don't know where to start. Any way I can help?
++++[>++++++<-]>-[<+++>-]<.
DoggyDogWhirl

Postby KittyTac » October 13th, 2018, 9:54 pm

DoggyDogWhirl wrote:I haven't made any important discoveries that I know of, mainly because I don't know where to start. Any way I can help?

http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Tutorials

Or you can focus on OCA!
http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Isotropi ... r_automata
Type a random rule-string according to these rules, then seed a random soup in your rule. It's easier to make discoveries that way.

Also, join the Discord.
KittyTac

Postby gama » October 27th, 2018, 4:30 am

Hello. I got interest in non-totalistic rules and CGoL.
gama

Postby Layz Boi » November 1st, 2018, 11:33 pm

Hello. I'm interested in oscillators and ships/gliders that aren't composed of swarms of smaller ships/gliders.

I don't like Lays chips. I'm all about those Durritos and Julio's Freakin Hot Chips. The origin of my user name is a misspelling of lazy boy or laze boy. I'm a lazy person in my opinion. Boi is used in reference to "good boi." As in calling a pet(especially a dog) a good boy.
Layz Boi

Postby Billabob » November 4th, 2018, 6:27 am

Hi everyone. I’ve been logging in almost every day for the last 3 years, although I don’t post very often. I never introduced myself in 2015, so I suppose I’ll just do it now.

I’m a data analyst at a large bank, based in the UK. In my spare time I press refresh on conwaylife, and collect and solve twisty puzzles.
▄▀
▀▀▀
Billabob

Postby Moosey » January 27th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Hello. I forgot where this thread was but intended to post here.
I have been looking over these forums for a while before registering, so I have "the lay of the land"
I have already posted in a couple threads, such as the thread for useless discoveries.
I really like OCA.
My rules:
eatsplosion
crylife
Breps
Hassl8life
mooselife
Looking for another rule, like 104life? Follow the mooselife link.

Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"
Moosey

Previous

Return to The Sandbox