ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

The "Nebula bomb"

For discussion of specific patterns or specific families of patterns, both newly-discovered and well-known.

The "Nebula bomb"

Postby EPICdude » December 4th, 2017, 9:26 am

While i was messing around with CGOF i discovered something really cool. If you place a 7x3 rectangle and remove the corners and the inside of the rectangle it'll "Blow up" and turn into a nebula. Thats how i got the very unique name. Please let me know weather this has already been discovered or i've discovered it. I've already experimented with it a bit but i haven't seemed to make any more discoveries.
Last edited by EPICdude on December 5th, 2017, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
EPICdude

Re: The "Nebula bomb"

Postby Apple Bottom » December 4th, 2017, 9:48 am

EPICdude wrote:While i was messing around with CGOF i discovered something really cool. If you place a 5x3 rectangle and remove the corners it'll "Blow up" and turn into a nebula. Thats how i got the very unique name. Please let me know weather this has already been discovered or i've discovered it. I've already experimented with it a bit but i haven't seemed to make any more discoveries.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Here's a useful tip: you can share patterns by copying and pasting them in RLE format between code tags; this'll allow the forum's built-in LifeViewer applet to run them. To get a pattern in RLE format, simply select and copy (Ctrl-C) it in Golly.

Is this the pattern you had in mind when you said "place a 5x3 rectangle and remove the corners"? I'm not sure I'm seeing the effect you're referring to there.

x = 3, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
bo$3o$3o$3o$bo!

Another useful tip: it's generally best to not start a new thread for specific discoveries. There's existing threads for this sort of thing, e.g. the Thread for your unsure discoveries.

Again, welcome!
Living proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!
Apple Bottom

Postby BlinkerSpawn » December 4th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:Is this the pattern you had in mind when you said "place a 5x3 rectangle and remove the corners"? I'm not sure I'm seeing the effect you're referring to there.
a spark

I believe EPICdude is referring to this honey farm predecessor:
x = 5, y = 3, rule = B3/S23
b3o$o3bo$b3o!

Unlike the other one, this one does "blow up" into a constellation or "nebula".
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]
BlinkerSpawn

Postby EPICdude » December 5th, 2017, 8:35 am

OOPS i wrote this completely wrong my apologies. it is a 7x3 rectangle, remove the corners and the inside. im gonna edit the post right now.
EPICdude

Postby Saka » December 5th, 2017, 8:48 am

EPICdude wrote:OOPS i wrote this completely wrong my apologies. it is a 7x3 rectangle, remove the corners and the inside. im gonna edit the post right now.

Pulsar predecessor
Everyone, please stop posting B/S about CA
x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!

(Check gen 2)
Saka

Return to Patterns