ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Pattern viewer for forum threads

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or wiki function.

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby muzik » March 12th, 2019, 7:18 pm

rowett wrote:
muzik wrote:Will alternating through more than two rules be supported?

Not currently planned.

Golly now has a script that allows for these. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=719&start=75#p72993
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!
muzik
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 13th, 2019, 3:03 am

muzik wrote:
rowett wrote:
muzik wrote:Will alternating through more than two rules be supported?

Not currently planned.

Golly now has a script that allows for these. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=719&start=75#p72993

It's a very nice script. However I'm still not planning on extending LifeViewer's support at the moment. If multi-alternate rules become popular I'll reconsider.
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby Moosey » March 13th, 2019, 7:54 am

rowett wrote:
muzik wrote:
rowett wrote:...
Not currently planned.

Golly now has a script that allows for these. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=719&start=75#p72993

It's a very nice script. However I'm still not planning on extending LifeViewer's support at the moment. If multi-alternate rules become popular I'll reconsider.

I have rather liked that idea, so I would vote it up.
My rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"
User avatar
Moosey
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 13th, 2019, 12:11 pm

The next release of LifeViewer will feature improved display for hex rules. Prototype can be seen here.
Known issues:
  • If grid lines are switched on they are drawn behind the cells and are still alternating rows of squares offset by half a cell.
  • Performance is not good for large patterns.
  • Only 1 layer is supported at zoom >= 4.
If you find any other issues please let me know here.
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby muzik » March 13th, 2019, 1:55 pm

I might be seeing things but those hexagons don't look 100% regular to me. Might just be me though.

Can the offset square grid be supported as a different option? I find it useful for representing one-dimensional CA with half-integer ranges.
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!
muzik
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 13th, 2019, 3:13 pm

muzik wrote:I might be seeing things but those hexagons don't look 100% regular to me. Might just be me though.

I've made the hexagons more regular.

muzik wrote:Can the offset square grid be supported as a different option? I find it useful for representing one-dimensional CA with half-integer ranges.

Yes.
  • Hotkey Alt+"/" now toggles between hexagonal and square cells for hex display
  • Bottom right menu button Hexagon does the same
  • New script commands [[ HEXCELLS ]] and [[ SQUARECELLS ]] let you set your preference for a particular pattern
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Build 311 is now live on the Forums and LifeWiki

Please note: you will need to refresh your browser to use the new build

Enhancements since the last released build:
  • Hexagonal Cells - some nice examples here
    • in hex display mode cells are now drawn as hexagons at zoom >= 4
    • hotkey Alt+"/" to toggle hexagonal/square cells for hex display
    • new script command [[ SQUARECELLS ]] to set square cells for hex display
    • new script command [[ HEXCELLS ]] to set hexagonal cells for hex display (the default)
    • new bottom right menu button Hexagon to toggle hexagonal/square cells
    • hex or von Neumann rule letter can be before Generations postfix e.g.: B23/S1H/G3
Fixes since the last released build:
  • annotation positions were not correct in hex display mode
  • ensure copied RLE comments end with newline
  • comments found after RLE now get copied after RLE
The updated hotkey map detailing the LifeViewer keyboard controls is here.

Comments, feedback, suggestions and bug reports welcome!
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby muzik » March 14th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Are the Catagolue and MCell thèmes using the correct grid colours for hex?
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!
muzik
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 14th, 2019, 1:37 pm

muzik wrote:Are the Catagolue and MCell thèmes using the correct grid colours for hex?

I doubt it. I didn't make any changes to Themes.
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby gameoflifemaniac » March 15th, 2019, 11:10 am

What REALLY should be in LifeViewer is rule tables. Either the rule table would be written inside the code block, or it will load it from somewhere else.
That's a really good idea, but can it be done?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
One big dirty Oro. Yeeeeeeeeee...
User avatar
gameoflifemaniac
 
Posts: 751
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:17 am
Location: There too

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm

gameoflifemaniac wrote:What REALLY should be in LifeViewer is rule tables. Either the rule table would be written inside the code block, or it will load it from somewhere else.
That's a really good idea, but can it be done?

It's possible but I'm not planning on doing it at the moment.
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 15th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Build 312 is now live on the Forums and LifeWiki

Please note: you will need to refresh your browser to use the new build

Enhancements since the last released build:
  • improved hexagon cell drawing speed
  • grid icon now has hexagonal grid when hexagons selected
Fixes since the last released build:
  • ensure hexagonal grid lines are integer thickness (for speed)
  • fixed an issue with pattern comments on invalid patterns causing a crash
  • fixed an issue with pattern specified width and height not being ignored
The updated hotkey map detailing the LifeViewer keyboard controls is here.

Comments, feedback, suggestions and bug reports welcome!
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby gameoflifemaniac » March 15th, 2019, 12:28 pm

rowett wrote:
gameoflifemaniac wrote:What REALLY should be in LifeViewer is rule tables. Either the rule table would be written inside the code block, or it will load it from somewhere else.
That's a really good idea, but can it be done?

It's possible but I'm not planning on doing it at the moment.

Will you ever implement that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
One big dirty Oro. Yeeeeeeeeee...
User avatar
gameoflifemaniac
 
Posts: 751
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:17 am
Location: There too

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby Moosey » March 15th, 2019, 12:31 pm

gameoflifemaniac wrote:
rowett wrote:
gameoflifemaniac wrote:What REALLY should be in LifeViewer is rule tables. Either the rule table would be written inside the code block, or it will load it from somewhere else.
That's a really good idea, but can it be done?

It's possible but I'm not planning on doing it at the moment.

Will you ever implement that?

Judging by what rowett said, I feel the answer could range from “probably, but don’t expect it too soon,” to “probably, but an elementary camelship will probably happen first,” to “probably, but I’d expect a knightwise distaff rake first.”
My rules can be found here

Also, the tree game
Bill Watterson once wrote: "How do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?"
User avatar
Moosey
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Location: A house, or perhaps the OCA board.

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 17th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Build 313 is now live on the Forums and LifeWiki

Please note: you will need to refresh your browser to use the new build

Enhancements since the last released build:Fixes since the last released build:
  • only allocate hex buffers on first use
The updated hotkey map detailing the LifeViewer keyboard controls is here.

Comments, feedback, suggestions and bug reports welcome!
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby muzik » March 17th, 2019, 1:32 pm

rowett wrote:Enhancements since the last released build:[list]
[*]added support for Paul Callahan's isotropic non-totalistic hex rules - test


THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Now we'll finally be able to see these running on Catagolue!

(Speaking of Catagolue, the hexagonal grid for the catagolue theme still seems to be that weird shade of yellow, and the mcell hex grid still seems to be blue.)

Also, there's a few aliases for hex rules on Catagolue that could be added to LifeViewer.
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!
muzik
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 18th, 2019, 8:18 am

muzik wrote:(Speaking of Catagolue, the hexagonal grid for the catagolue theme still seems to be that weird shade of yellow, and the mcell hex grid still seems to be blue.)

Also, there's a few aliases for hex rules on Catagolue that could be added to LifeViewer.

Both fixed in the next release.
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby muzik » March 18th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I like the way that hexagons have gaps between each other even when no grid is active - can an option be added to make the square grid do this as well?

I'm also experiencing a disproportionate amount of lag when the hexagonal Grid is active while Hexagon also is. (The hexagonal Grid seems to have much thicker lines than the usual square Grid.)
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!
muzik
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 18th, 2019, 4:59 pm

muzik wrote:I like the way that hexagons have gaps between each other even when no grid is active - can an option be added to make the square grid do this as well?

Possibly I'll take a look.

muzik wrote:I'm also experiencing a disproportionate amount of lag when the hexagonal Grid is active while Hexagon also is. (The hexagonal Grid seems to have much thicker lines than the usual square Grid.)

Yes the hexagon grid is very expensive to draw when zoomed out.
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby muzik » March 18th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Can support for chiral hexagonal rule notation be added?

As far as I can see, there's only one hexagonal transition which is not invariant under reflection, which is 3m. This means six forms of 3m can be notated as 3m* and the remaining six as 3m'. Obviously, if no apostrophe or asterisk is present, we assume all 3m transitions are present. (If both are present, then 3m is completely ignored - since all 3m transitions are present when there's no asterisk or apostrophe present, we can assume that their presence negates transitions, rather than signifies them.)

x = 39, y = 18, rule = 013456//3H
9.A.A$10.2A$9.5A$3A8.2A$2.A8.A.A$3A2.A.A12.A3.2A3.A2.A4.A$2.A2.4A7.AB
A.AB3.B2.ABA2.BA2.B$3A2.A.A.A7.A4.A2.A8.A2.2A4$9.3A$10.2A$3A8.A$2.A$
3A2.A.A9.A2.A3.2A3.A6.A$2.A2.4A7.AB2.ABA2.B3.BA.ABA2.B$3A2.A.A.A7.A8.
A2.A4.A2.2A!
[[ THEME Blues ]]
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!
muzik
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby muzik » March 18th, 2019, 6:12 pm

May have discovered a bug:
muzik wrote:
x = 1, y = 1, rule = W90:T125,0
o!
[[ HEXDISPLAY ]]


Zooming in to levels that cause hexagons to render seems to cause most of the grey border blocks to disappear.
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!
muzik
 
Posts: 3310
Joined: January 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby Gamedziner » March 19th, 2019, 6:50 am

muzik wrote:May have discovered a bug:
muzik wrote:
x = 1, y = 1, rule = W90:T125,0
o!
[[ HEXDISPLAY ]]


Zooming in to levels that cause hexagons to render seems to cause most of the grey border blocks to disappear.

Furthermore, drawing is impossible.
x = 81, y = 96, rule = LifeHistory
58.2A$58.2A3$59.2A17.2A$59.2A17.2A3$79.2A$79.2A2$57.A$56.A$56.3A4$27.
A$27.A.A$27.2A21$3.2A$3.2A2.2A$7.2A18$7.2A$7.2A2.2A$11.2A11$2A$2A2.2A
$4.2A18$4.2A$4.2A2.2A$8.2A!
Gamedziner
 
Posts: 748
Joined: May 30th, 2016, 8:47 pm
Location: Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 19th, 2019, 7:21 am

muzik wrote:Zooming in to levels that cause hexagons to render seems to cause most of the grey border blocks to disappear.

This has been fixed and will be in the next released build. Thanks for reporting!
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 19th, 2019, 7:21 am

Gamedziner wrote:
muzik wrote:Zooming in to levels that cause hexagons to render seems to cause most of the grey border blocks to disappear.

Furthermore, drawing is impossible.

This has been fixed and will be in the next released build. Thanks for reporting!
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Pattern viewer for forum threads

Postby rowett » March 19th, 2019, 7:26 am

Build 315 is now live on the Forums and LifeWiki

Please note: you will need to refresh your browser to use the new build

Enhancements since the last released build:
  • improved hexagonal grid lines drawing speed
  • addded isotropic non-totalistic hexagonal aliases
Fixes since the last released build:
  • fixed hexagonal grid lines colours in two Themes
  • could not edit patterns which had cylindrical bounded grids
  • hex patterns would not display cylindrical bounded grid borders when using hexagons
The updated hotkey map detailing the LifeViewer keyboard controls is here.

Comments, feedback, suggestions and bug reports welcome!
User avatar
rowett
Moderator
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Website Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest