Rules

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
Elithrion

Rules

Post by Elithrion » February 12th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Flakes is really neat. That said, it says that cells should live even with 0 neighbours, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, would it be difficult to give an option for custom rules? Although almost everything imaginable seems to already covered, it seems like it would be a reasonably easy option to add.
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Re: Rules

Post by Nathaniel » February 12th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Elithrion wrote:Flakes is really neat. That said, it says that cells should live even with 0 neighbours, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, would it be difficult to give an option for custom rules? Although almost everything imaginable seems to already covered, it seems like it would be a reasonably easy option to add.
Custom is there actually, scroll all the way to the top. Any ideas on how to make that more intuitive/obvious?

I'll look into the potential flakes bug now.

Edit: Ah, figured out what the flakes bug is. It will be affecting *any* rules that involve zero, so I'll add this to the list.

Edit again: Also, I think my favourite set of rules so far is "Maze". The patterns end up looking quite similar to Flakes usually, but the border tends to move more smoothly.

Elithrion

Re: Rules

Post by Elithrion » February 12th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Oh, hmm, so it is. I'd maybe remove the hyphens and/or move it to the bottom, since I think I was sort of instinctively expecting "- Choose other rules -" at the top or something. Or maybe this is another case of me needing to pay more attention.
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici.