Wiki image requests

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
muzik

Wiki image requests

Post by muzik » March 17th, 2016, 4:19 am

Since I, again, am not the best with computers, I would like to ask someone else to make/improve some animated .gifs on the wiki. I'm not the best at doing things like that.

For example, for the Replicator page, I would like an animated image of an orthogonal replicator like this:

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 3, rule = B36_S2-i34q
5o$5o$5o!
and this slope replicator:

Code: Select all

x = 2, y = 3, rule = B02346/S023
o2$bo!

Also, can the animated image of loafer get a grid on it? Kind of annoying if it's just on a blank white background

fluffykitty

Re: Wiki image requests

Post by fluffykitty » March 17th, 2016, 8:15 pm

In fact, why not just stick the LifeViewer in the wiki? So much butter!

FractalFusion

Post by FractalFusion » March 21st, 2016, 5:40 am

The giffer.py script is useful for making animated GIFs. It tends to crash for me if the selection is too large and/or there are too many selected cells (don't know what causes it).

I updated the loafer animation to a new one that looks more like the animations for the other spaceships.

I also uploaded a HighLife replicator animation. HighLife's replicator is pretty much the only notable one around, so no other replicators unfortunately.

muzik

Post by muzik » July 20th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Indeed a bump, but better than creating infinite threads.

If this is possible, what about an animated image of Gemini's replication process? Of course, it would have to be considerably sped up for it to look any good at all...

And also, a picture of the whole Caterpillar (or at least a picture that has more of the caterpillar inside it than it has now), because a picture of just the tip of it just feels kind of misleading to me. As long as it doesn't stretch the infobox too much.

biggiemac

Post by biggiemac » July 20th, 2016, 8:19 pm

The Caterpillar is well displayed at this page, which is the first link in the "External links" section. Adding the same graphic to the lifewiki page would be rather pointless, as the article doesn't have enough word content to match the resulting page length.

Additionally, the gallery has two smaller images that do capture the whole thing.

The aspect ratio of the Caterpillar makes it difficult to get a good view of it. The same can be said of the Gemini, but in the Gemini case the aspect ratio is 45 degrees rotated. A gif of the whole process would either focus on just one of the heads, which is one of the videos on the Gemini page already, or would look like a terribly boring line not moving very much.
Physics: sophistication from simplicity.

muzik

Post by muzik » July 20th, 2016, 8:45 pm

I was thinking more of a picture that would capture a bit more detail of the caterpillar, similar to the centipede article.

biggiemac

Post by biggiemac » July 20th, 2016, 9:11 pm

It's not the image, it's the aspect ratio.. Look at the two numbers for the bounding box. For the centipede, those numbers are 126714 and 11562. Their ratio is about 11. Now look at the corresponding numbers for the caterpillar, 330721 and 4195. Their ratio is about 79.

No image of the caterpillar will have the detail of the arms like is visible in the centipede. One can zoom in so that the image only captures about 1/7 of the height, and then get a similar view, but that sounds like what you referred to as "misleading" above. Another option is to watch the whole video in the gallery that goes over various zoom levels.
Physics: sophistication from simplicity.

muzik

Post by muzik » July 21st, 2016, 3:59 am

1/7 of the caterpillar seems okay, as long as that doesn't mess up the page. As long as we get to see some more of the detail.