Redistributing plaintext pattern files

For discussion directly related to ConwayLife.com, such as requesting changes to how the forums or home page function.
macmade

Redistributing plaintext pattern files

Post by macmade » April 21st, 2018, 11:15 am

Hello everyone, : )

I'm developing a Game of Life application for macOS as a hobby project, and I would like to include a pattern library in it.

I'm actually using the plaintext files from the LifeWiki (.cells), so I would like to know if it's possible to redistribute them in the app, once the projet is stable enough.

And if so, are they covered by any kind of license? Do the require some special attribution?
I tried to search on the wiki and here but couldn't find anything.

As as sidenote, the app will be available on GitHub (MIT license), including the pattern files if possible.
Might also be published on AppStore for convenience.

Thanks a lot,
Have a great week-end!

Macbi

Re: Redistributing plaintext pattern files

Post by Macbi » April 21st, 2018, 12:20 pm

I think it would be good to attribute each pattern to its discoverer, but you're not legally obligated to do so.

As far as I know, no one anywhere has every attempted to claim any cellular automata pattern or pattern file as intellectual property. So you can definitely copy as many of them as you like into your application. Personally I'd like resist as strongly as possible the notion that it's even possible for cellular automata patterns to be intellectual property.

The MIT licence requires that

Code: Select all

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.
so I think you should explicitly state that the pattern library isn't covered and that people are free to copy the pattern library without including a copy of the MIT licence.

macmade

Re: Redistributing plaintext pattern files

Post by macmade » April 24th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Thank you very much! : )