Main file directory changed

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Dets65

Main file directory changed

Post by Dets65 » May 7th, 2013, 7:48 pm

The file browser on the left of the window's directory has switched to a different directory.
All I can find are scripts that I can't open because I got python 3.2!

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 3, rule = B2i3-ckn4ajkryz5cer6-ak7e8/S02-cn3iknr4eijkny5nq6ek7e
b3o$3o$bo!

Andrew

Re: Main file directory changed

Post by Andrew » May 7th, 2013, 10:29 pm

To see the Patterns directory, tick File > Show Patterns. Or click on the appropriate button (it has a picture of a folder with a small pattern on it) in the vertical tool bar at the left edge of the Golly window. If that tool bar isn't visible, select View > Show Tool Bar.

The "bugs" you are reporting sound more like issues of unfamiliarity with how Golly works. Please spend some time reading the Help pages.

As for the Python problem, it will be a long time (years) before Golly is likely to support Python 3.x. All I can suggest is installing the latest Python 2.x version (see Help > Python Scripting).
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » February 14th, 2014, 8:45 pm

While this bug appears to be completely different than the one starting this thread, this bug has similar effects (even though in a different context) so I figured this was the best place to mention it.

I originally found this in Golly 2.5, but it also happens in 2.6 (Windows, both 32 and 64-bit versions).

Golly always opens the file name of files it opens, but it only remembers the containing directory if the file is opened with the File/Open Pattern... dialog, but not if it is opened in other ways (e.g. drag+drop, or File/Open Recent...), Thus, a File/Save after one of the latter will often save changes in the wrong place, making the changes hard to find, if you don't notice this behavior.

I also have a couple of unrelated feature requests (I'm not sure where these are supposed to go, so I'm inappropriately adding them here):

The UI would be a bit easier to use if the menu selections had keyboard accelerator shortcuts (e.g. &File/&Save on Windows, or similar Apple-key shortcuts on OSX), especially for those users who don't know all the shortcut keys, and also for those commands that don't have any shortcuts at all. These make it easier to perform actions without moving the mouse, which could be occupied doing something else (like selecting an area for the menu command to operate on).

Also, View/Set Scale/1:32 could probably use "3" as a shortcut, as all the other scales in that menu also use digits.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » February 15th, 2014, 8:56 pm

mniemiec wrote:Golly always opens the file name of files it opens, but it only remembers the containing directory if the file is opened with the File/Open Pattern... dialog, but not if it is opened in other ways (e.g. drag+drop, or File/Open Recent...), Thus, a File/Save after one of the latter will often save changes in the wrong place...
A good point, but I think we'd need to be careful not to remember the directory for files stored in the supplied Patterns folder because we definitely don't want to encourage people to save their patterns anywhere within that folder. I'll make a note to look at this the next time I work on desktop Golly.
The UI would be a bit easier to use if the menu selections had keyboard accelerator shortcuts (e.g. &File/&Save on Windows...
I've deliberately avoided such accelerators because they interfere with Golly's keyboard shortcuts, which should be flexible enough to do exactly what accelerators do anyway. For example, if you want alt-S to open the Save Pattern dialog then just go to Preferences > Keyboard, type alt-S in the Key Combination box, then select Save Pattern from the Action menu.
Also, View/Set Scale/1:32 could probably use "3" as a shortcut, as all the other scales in that menu also use digits.
Yep, I've done that in my own prefs. I could add it to the default prefs, but only new users will see it (or if you happen to delete your existing GollyPrefs file, or empty its contents).
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife