ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Golly crashes when layers are tiled

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!

Golly crashes when layers are tiled

Postby GUYTU6J » July 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm

This problem arises when attempting to tile two layers, regardless of the rules, patterns, etc. Updating my golly 3.2 to 3.3b2 and rebooting my Win10 x64 computer don't help. For instance, golly crashes when 1)in "Tile Layers" mode, add/clone/duplicate to make another layer, or 2)switch from "Stack Layers" to "Tile Layers" given two or more layers. Also, with the default settings, the typical green border between layers disappears when this situation comes up.
The only suspected cause seems to be an accidental misuse of envelop.py, when I mistakenly clicked on it and aborted it immediately.
Current status: outside the continent of cellular automata. Specifically, not on the plain of life.
GUYTU6J

Re: Golly crashes when layers are tiled

Postby dvgrn » July 4th, 2019, 12:30 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:This problem arises when attempting to tile two layers, regardless of the rules, patterns, etc. Updating my golly 3.2 to 3.3b2 and rebooting my Win10 x64 computer don't help.

It doesn't look like the fix for this has made it into the latest Golly beta yet, but it's probably a known issue. If you uncheck View > Show Grid Lines, does the crash still occur?
dvgrn

Re: Golly crashes when layers are tiled

Postby GUYTU6J » July 4th, 2019, 1:05 pm

dvgrn wrote:If you uncheck View > Show Grid Lines, does the crash still occur?

No, it doesn't.The cases look alike, even though my computer doesn't use NVIDIA(instead, it uses Intel).
Current status: outside the continent of cellular automata. Specifically, not on the plain of life.
GUYTU6J

Return to Bugs & Errors