Super minor stuff

Has something gone haywire? Let us know about it!
Elithrion

Super minor stuff

Post by Elithrion » February 3rd, 2009, 4:40 pm

-you forgot to update known issues :wink:
-in the 'Killer candlefrobras' description (in the java applet, not in the wiki), it has a space between 'kill' and 'er':
'Description: An arrangement of two candlefrobras that act in some ways like kill er toads.'
-when I tried to override the 'Killer candlefrobras' to change the description it (correctly) didn't let me, but it told me that it actually had let me instead of giving an error and maybe asking for a new file name like it probably should.

-also, more typoes in descriptions, like in 'Triple pseudo still life':
'A pattern found in 2001 that can be broken down into three stable s table pieces, but not two.'
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Re: Super minor stuff

Post by Nathaniel » February 3rd, 2009, 6:23 pm

Elithrion wrote:-you forgot to update known issues :wink:
Fixed now, thanks. ;) There are actually a few more known issues too, so I'll update that list again in a second.
Elithrion wrote:-in the 'Killer candlefrobras' description (in the java applet, not in the wiki), it has a space between 'kill' and 'er':
'Description: An arrangement of two candlefrobras that act in some ways like kill er toads.'
I'll add this to the list of known issues. It happens because the files in the online database are saved in RLE format, and RLE files technically don't allow lines to be longer than 70 characters, so the online tool, when it saves the pattern, inserts a line break every 70 characters in the description. When displaying the line break it converts it to a space, but for technical reasons in the RLE file if it's the end of a word I shouldn't include a space *and* a line break, so I either every now and then get words running into each other, or spaces in the middle of words.

The RLE reader for the tool doesn't care if lines are 70 lines long or not, so I could manually edit the database files to make the comment files longer, which is what I'll probably end up doing. I'll update this pattern file and upload it tonight when I do an update. Feel free to report any other patterns that have a similar out-of-place space, though I'll try to keep a look out for them from now on too.
Elithrion wrote:-when I tried to override the 'Killer candlefrobras' to change the description it (correctly) didn't let me, but it told me that it actually had let me instead of giving an error and maybe asking for a new file name like it probably should.
Thanks, it definitely shouldn't let you think that you're saving over one of the LifeWiki patterns. I'll add that to the list of issues.
Elithrion wrote:-also, more typoes in descriptions, like in 'Triple pseudo still life':
'A pattern found in 2001 that can be broken down into three stable s table pieces, but not two.'
Same deal as with the killer candlefrobras, with the exception of the word 'stable' repeated twice. I'll upload the corrected file tonight.

Elithrion

Post by Elithrion » February 3rd, 2009, 10:38 pm

Pseudo-barberpole, New gun 2, LWSS, MWSS, HWSS all have the extra spaces.

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 5th, 2009, 10:13 am

Elithrion wrote:Pseudo-barberpole, New gun 2, LWSS, MWSS, HWSS all have the extra spaces.
Thanks, those are all fixed now (as are several others).

Elithrion

Post by Elithrion » February 9th, 2009, 1:01 pm

More minor stuff - if you set the display to circles, the pattern leaves behind tiny white holes in the grid as it evolves. [edit:] rather, only the generation 0 circles leave holes after they leave, the subsequent generations do not (or maybe actually paused generations)

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 9th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Elithrion wrote:More minor stuff - if you set the display to circles, the pattern leaves behind tiny white holes in the grid as it evolves. [edit:] rather, only the generation 0 circles leave holes after they leave, the subsequent generations do not (or maybe actually paused generations)
Yeah, circles also do funky things if you zoom all the way out. There's a bit more work to do on 'em before they're "officially" released in 0.6.0.

Edit: Both of these issues are now fixed for 0.6.0

Elithrion

Post by Elithrion » February 15th, 2009, 10:15 pm

So, I notice that some patterns (e.g. Sawtooth 2) have no (non-empty) RLE file (and thus working "Manipulate via Java" link). Should I be reporting these or are you aware and just haven't gotten around to those yet?

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » February 15th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Definitely report them to me (unless I just created the wiki page within the last 24 hours) because that means I've forgotten about it. One of the things on my to-do list is to have the server auto-email me when someone tries to access a file from the wiki that doesn't exist, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.