ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Thread for basic questions

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby simsim314 » May 14th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Thinking of it - this SL might be also an example of not synthesizable SL, that could be provable.
simsim314

Postby drc » May 14th, 2017, 7:48 pm

How is the progress on apgmera-nt going? Is anybody looking into it?
pondlife=salad+butterfly
drc

Postby dvgrn » May 14th, 2017, 9:16 pm

simsim314 wrote:Thinking of it - this SL might be also an example of not synthesizable SL, that could be provable.

It would be nice to have an example of a provably non-synthesizable still life -- then people could stop trying to work out universal incremental glider synthesis toolkits.

However, this is all really really difficult territory for finding proofs. It's way too easy to overlook some subtle weird edge case, and end up with a structure that Extrementhusiast can find a recipe for after all.
dvgrn

Postby calcyman » May 15th, 2017, 7:19 am

drc wrote:How is the progress on apgmera-nt going? Is anybody looking into it?

It straightforwardly reduces to writing a program which can convert a 9-input Boolean function into an efficient circuit with a width of at most 13 variables. If you can provide that program, then I could do the rest without too much work.

In terms of writing such an algorithm myself, I think my time has already been committed to other projects until October at the very earliest.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
calcyman

Postby drc » May 16th, 2017, 9:58 pm

What utilities exist for non-totalistic rules?

Also is there any guide for onfiguring python with Golly because itbrokeonmeagaingoshdarnit
pondlife=salad+butterfly
drc

Postby Ethanagor » May 17th, 2017, 7:27 pm

This might be a stupid question, but are there any known constellations that can convert one glider into two gliders in opposite directions but perpendicular to the original glider's path? I don't care if the constellation itself is destroyed in the process.
"It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache." - Frank N. Furter
Ethanagor

Postby BlinkerSpawn » May 17th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Ethanagor wrote:This might be a stupid question, but are there any known constellations that can convert one glider into two gliders in opposite directions but perpendicular to the original glider's path? I don't care if the constellation itself is destroyed in the process.

There's an entire collection of 2SL splitters of a variety of kinds, certain of which will definitely fit your requirement.
If you want opposite and perpendicular directions subject to some other requirement, however (e.g. opposite directions on the same lane) you might have an issue.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]
BlinkerSpawn

Postby wildmyron » May 17th, 2017, 10:29 pm

BlinkerSpawn wrote:
Ethanagor wrote:This might be a stupid question, but are there any known constellations that can convert one glider into two gliders in opposite directions but perpendicular to the original glider's path? I don't care if the constellation itself is destroyed in the process.

There's an entire collection of 2SL splitters of a variety of kinds, certain of which will definitely fit your requirement.
If you want opposite and perpendicular directions subject to some other requirement, however (e.g. opposite directions on the same lane) you might have an issue.

The collection can be found in the Splitters with common SL thread. There's a sorted collection which should make finding what you are looking for easy.
wildmyron

Postby muzik » May 20th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Since we can do so on square and hexagonal grids, are there any programs that can simulate cellular automata on a triangular grid?
Image This jump is annoying. Let's fix it.

Turn all the reds, green!
muzik

Postby Saka » May 20th, 2017, 8:50 pm

muzik wrote:Since we can do so on square and hexagonal grids, are there any programs that can simulate cellular automata on a triangular grid?

Ready
Nice waterbear you got there. Would be a shame if this rake shot it down from the other side of the universe.
Saka

Postby bprentice » May 20th, 2017, 9:03 pm

muzik wrote:Since we can do so on square and hexagonal grids, are there any programs that can simulate cellular automata on a triangular grid?

See these two threads:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1023&p=7417

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1025&p=8246

Brian Prentice
bprentice

Previous

Return to General Discussion