ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Thread for basic questions

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby calcyman » April 15th, 2018, 7:53 am

77topaz wrote:How does the attribute function determine when to show hauls for rules other than b3s23, then? Because, I've only seen a blue haul once in another rule, in B2e3ceik4e/S1c2-ai3-ai45ay.


The very act of asking who found an object is sufficient to make the first few hauls, if they haven't already been deleted, permanent. You're correct that there is no automatic process for attributing non-b3s23 hauls.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
User avatar
calcyman
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby A for awesome » April 15th, 2018, 10:08 am

wwei23 wrote:Hat:
x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
2bo$bobo$bobo$2ob2o!

Sesquihat:
x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
2bo$bobob2o$bobobo$2obobo$4bo!

Twin hat:
x = 9, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
2bo3bo$bobobobo$bobobobo$2obobob2o$4bo!

???
x = 11, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
2bo3bo$bobobobob2o$bobobobobo$2obobobobo$4bo3bo!

"Sesterhat", maybe?
x₁=ηx
V ⃰_η=c²√(Λη)
K=(Λu²)/2
Pₐ=1−1/(∫^∞_t₀(p(t)ˡ⁽ᵗ⁾)dt)

$$x_1=\eta x$$
$$V^*_\eta=c^2\sqrt{\Lambda\eta}$$
$$K=\frac{\Lambda u^2}2$$
$$P_a=1-\frac1{\int^\infty_{t_0}p(t)^{l(t)}dt}$$

http://conwaylife.com/wiki/A_for_all

Aidan F. Pierce
User avatar
A for awesome
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: September 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Location: 0x-1

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby 77topaz » April 15th, 2018, 4:29 pm

calcyman wrote:The very act of asking who found an object is sufficient to make the first few hauls, if they haven't already been deleted, permanent. You're correct that there is no automatic process for attributing non-b3s23 hauls.


I see. So, how did that blue haul appear in that non-b3s23 rule, then? And, if I understand it correctly, is a discovery in b3s23 only credited if someone calls the attribute function on the object before its hauls are deleted?
User avatar
77topaz
 
Posts: 859
Joined: January 12th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby calcyman » April 15th, 2018, 5:59 pm

77topaz wrote:
calcyman wrote:The very act of asking who found an object is sufficient to make the first few hauls, if they haven't already been deleted, permanent. You're correct that there is no automatic process for attributing non-b3s23 hauls.


I see. So, how did that blue haul appear in that non-b3s23 rule, then? And, if I understand it correctly, is a discovery in b3s23 only credited if someone calls the attribute function on the object before its hauls are deleted?


Let me clarify:

  • Calling /attribute causes relevant hauls to become blue if they haven't yet been deleted.
  • Anyone can call /attribute on any object in any rule.
  • For b3s23, there are also two automatic processes which call /attribute, namely Catagolue itself and Ivan's twitterbot.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
User avatar
calcyman
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » April 19th, 2018, 11:48 pm

Has anyone done an in-depth analysis of W110, its common particles, and their interactions, etc? If not, I will do it.
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby 77topaz » April 20th, 2018, 6:01 am

KittyTac wrote:Has anyone done an in-depth analysis of W110, its common particles, and their interactions, etc? If not, I will do it.


Yeah, it has even been proven universal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_110
User avatar
77topaz
 
Posts: 859
Joined: January 12th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby M. I. Wright » April 20th, 2018, 9:14 am

And owing to this, W110 is really the most likely rule to have already been explored in depth.
Last edited by M. I. Wright on April 20th, 2018, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamer54657 wrote:God save us all.
God save humanity.

hgkhjfgh

nutshelltlifeDiscord 'Conwaylife Lounge'
M. I. Wright
 
Posts: 365
Joined: June 13th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » April 20th, 2018, 9:37 am

I meant descriptions of common spaceships, their speeds, etc. May make that one.
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby Saka » April 20th, 2018, 9:42 am

KittyTac wrote:I meant descriptions of common spaceships, their speeds, etc. May make that one.

Those are done too
http://delta.cs.cinvestav.mx/~mcintosh/comun/RULE110W/RULE110.html
http://uncomp.uwe.ac.uk/genaro/rule110/glidersRule110.html
Proud owner and founder of Sakagolue
x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!

(Check gen 2)
User avatar
Saka
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » April 28th, 2018, 3:54 am

Are natural LWSS more commonly synthesized from gliders or are they more commonly born from the soup itself?
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby gameoflifemaniac » April 28th, 2018, 4:17 am

KittyTac wrote:Are natural LWSS more commonly synthesized from gliders or are they more commonly born from the soup itself?

It would be extremely rare that the gliders will form just in the right position to create an LWSS. Before you ask questions like these, first try to answer it yourself, OK?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
One big dirty Oro. Yeeeeeeeeee...
User avatar
gameoflifemaniac
 
Posts: 694
Joined: January 22nd, 2017, 11:17 am
Location: There too

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby 77topaz » April 28th, 2018, 5:44 am

gameoflifemaniac wrote:Before you ask questions like these, first try to answer it yourself, OK?


That's a bit of a condescending thing to say - this is the "thread for basic questions", after all.
User avatar
77topaz
 
Posts: 859
Joined: January 12th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » April 28th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Though last time I saw a natural LWSS in a 500x500 soup, it appeared 400 generations in!
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby dvgrn » April 29th, 2018, 11:20 am

KittyTac wrote:Though last time I saw a natural LWSS in a 500x500 soup, it appeared 400 generations in!

Occasionally you do see two gliders hitting each other as a random soup evolves, but three coordinated gliders is rare enough that I'm not sure I've ever seen an example.

My intuition may be totally wrong on this, but I would be somewhat surprised if any of the 28 billion LWSSes that have showed up so far from 16x16 Catagolue soups, were generated by three colliding gliders in the classic clean recipe. There are just so many more likely ways for a soup to produce LWSSes. Gliders moving through the middle of stabilizing ash are pretty rare in the first place, and here you'd need three of them at once _and_ the LWSS would have to be lucky enough to have an escape route afterwards.

I suppose the question is at least somewhat within reach of a ballpark estimate. Could survey a lot of soups and see what the probability is, say in soups that last over 1000 ticks, that any given point in the pattern contains a glider in a specific orientation. The odds of a natural LWSS recipe should be on the order of the cube of that probability.

So... since it seems pretty clear that the odds are less than one in 3000 that a randomly-chosen spacetime location in stabilizing soup contains, say, a phase-0 SW-traveling glider... it looks like apgsearch very likely hasn't seen its first natural LWSS recipe yet.
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
 
Posts: 4977
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » May 4th, 2018, 10:43 am

What is the largest spaceship archive?
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby wildmyron » May 4th, 2018, 12:23 pm

KittyTac wrote:What is the largest spaceship archive?

I don't think that anyone has compiled one bigger than the updated jslife collection: http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewto ... 500#p50444
wildmyron
 
Posts: 874
Joined: August 9th, 2013, 12:45 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby 77topaz » May 4th, 2018, 5:20 pm

And for OCA, it's probably David Eppstein's glider database.
User avatar
77topaz
 
Posts: 859
Joined: January 12th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby Koiti Kimura » May 4th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Let me ask you all a fool basic question since I am still a mere/sheer novice/beginner in this field/discipline: does the existence of gliders mean the existence of gliders-guns? If not, which kinds of gliders are accompanied/produced by gliders-guns?
Koiti Kimura
 
Posts: 24
Joined: October 13th, 2017, 2:14 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby Saka » May 4th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Koiti Kimura wrote:Let me ask you all a fool basic question since I am still a mere/sheer novice/beginner in this field/discipline: does the existence of gliders mean the existence of gliders-guns? If not, which kinds of gliders are accompanied/produced by gliders-guns?

Pretty much any spaceship that has a Synthesis has a gun. I'm not sure where most of the guns for different ships are located but you can check out Category:Guns
Proud owner and founder of Sakagolue
x = 17, y = 10, rule = B3/S23
b2ob2obo5b2o$11b4obo$2bob3o2bo2b3o$bo3b2o4b2o$o2bo2bob2o3b4o$bob2obo5b
o2b2o$2b2o4bobo2b3o$bo3b5ob2obobo$2bo5bob2o$4bob2o2bobobo!

(Check gen 2)
User avatar
Saka
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Location: In the kingdom of Sultan Hamengkubuwono X

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby dvgrn » May 4th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Saka wrote:
Koiti Kimura wrote:Let me ask you all a fool basic question since I am still a mere/sheer novice/beginner in this field/discipline: does the existence of gliders mean the existence of gliders-guns? If not, which kinds of gliders are accompanied/produced by gliders-guns?

Pretty much any spaceship that has a Synthesis has a gun. I'm not sure where most of the guns for different ships are located but you can check out Category:Guns

There are explosive rules -- not sure what a good example might be, maybe Brian's Brain or Star Wars or Seeds? -- where there are lots of gliders all over the place, but it's hard to get anything to stand still long enough to be a gun. So I think gliders don't necessarily imply glider guns.

Maybe someone can dig up a really boring super-explosive rule that has a glider or two, but everything else is provably a spacefiller?
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
 
Posts: 4977
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » May 8th, 2018, 10:18 am

Is it possible in rule tables to make certain states react only on generations that are a multiple of 2, 3, etc, while using one state? I want to make a very complicated CA and want to conserve the amount of states, both for faster simulation and because there is a limit of 256 states.
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby dvgrn » May 8th, 2018, 10:43 am

KittyTac wrote:Is it possible in rule tables to make certain states react only on generations that are a multiple of 2, 3, etc, while using one state?

Not that I can think of. You'd have to use double, triple, etc., the number of states, and have states 1 through N appear only on even generations and states N+1 to 2N appear on odd generations, or the equivalent, with different rules for each group of states as appropriate.

(Not sure if you could get away without an alternate zero state -- depends on the rule you want, I think. If you need different behavior for the zero state depending on generation, then you might end up being stuck with bounded universes, or Golly's standard weird behavior at the boundaries.)
User avatar
dvgrn
Moderator
 
Posts: 4977
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » May 8th, 2018, 10:53 am

dvgrn wrote:
KittyTac wrote:Is it possible in rule tables to make certain states react only on generations that are a multiple of 2, 3, etc, while using one state?

Not that I can think of. You'd have to use double, triple, etc., the number of states, and have states 1 through N appear only on even generations and states N+1 to 2N appear on odd generations, or the equivalent, with different rules for each group of states as appropriate.

(Not sure if you could get away without an alternate zero state -- depends on the rule you want, I think. If you need different behavior for the zero state depending on generation, then you might end up being stuck with bounded universes, or Golly's standard weird behavior at the boundaries.)

Made a suggestion to allow us to arbitrarily increase the number of states.
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby wildmyron » May 8th, 2018, 11:06 am

KittyTac wrote:Is it possible in rule tables to make certain states react only on generations that are a multiple of 2, 3, etc, while using one state? I want to make a very complicated CA and want to conserve the amount of states, both for faster simulation and because there is a limit of 256 states.

No, it is not possible in Golly. I think modification of the ruletable code in Golly to introduce this is feasible, but perhaps you should consider a custom simulator for what you want to do: Golly is extremely good at simulating 2-state CA on small neighbourhoods and ruletables allow an extraordinary variety of rules to be explored, but some things are just much easier to express in a declarative language. For example, a step function can easily use whatever neighbourhood you provide it; it can be generation dependent, or cell location dependent; and you can easily count neighbour states or use arithmetic to calculate intermediate values. I don't know what platform to suggest here, it depends on what you are trying to do.
wildmyron
 
Posts: 874
Joined: August 9th, 2013, 12:45 am

Re: Thread for basic questions

Postby KittyTac » May 8th, 2018, 11:12 am

wildmyron wrote:
KittyTac wrote:Is it possible in rule tables to make certain states react only on generations that are a multiple of 2, 3, etc, while using one state? I want to make a very complicated CA and want to conserve the amount of states, both for faster simulation and because there is a limit of 256 states.

No, it is not possible in Golly. I think modification of the ruletable code in Golly to introduce this is feasible, but perhaps you should consider a custom simulator for what you want to do: Golly is extremely good at simulating 2-state CA on small neighbourhoods and ruletables allow an extraordinary variety of rules to be explored, but some things are just much easier to express in a declarative language. For example, a step function can easily use whatever neighbourhood you provide it; it can be generation dependent, or cell location dependent; and you can easily count neighbour states or use arithmetic to calculate intermediate values. I don't know what platform to suggest here, it depends on what you are trying to do.

I run Windows, and I am broke and cannot really buy a new PC to run Mac or Linux or whatever. I may make a separate program, though.
User avatar
KittyTac
 
Posts: 532
Joined: December 21st, 2017, 9:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests