ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Golly suggestions

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.

Re: Golly suggestions

Postby KittyTac » October 10th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Here's another thing: Ability to simulate Wolfram rules that are not range-1 2-state ones. It's annoying to use Wolfram Alpha for their analysis.
KittyTac

Re: Golly suggestions

Postby Redstoneboi » October 11th, 2018, 3:54 am

KittyTac wrote:Here's another thing: Ability to simulate Wolfram rules that are not range-1 2-state ones. It's annoying to use Wolfram Alpha for their analysis.

Explanation
well, golly actually converts elementary wolfram rules into either 2 state asymmetric rule tables or MAP strings
it also can’t run even wolfram rules because of the b0.
since golly only runs 2d rules and instead converts it into a b0 rule, it allows layers below the original pattern to evolve. state 1 cells can’t die either.

Solution
maybe have a “lineLoader” algorithm that runs up to 256 state and range 64 (or whatever) 1d rules, with the height of each cell being the screen’s height.
suggestion: i think 1d tables should either be @LINE, or @WOLFRAM instead of @TABLE
optional: maybe even request a script (please make it .lua that converts a 1d pattern and a rule into a pattern in a rule where nothing moves.

Suggestion
and while we’re on the topic of adding algorithms, maybe a “blockLoader” that simulates arbitrary state block based cellular automata with 2*2 neighborhoods such as margolus and square4cyclic.
suggestion: block tables should be @BLOCK
maybe even update the margolus patterns?

i guess you can have either of those, and i’d be happy.
it’s more convenient to use these than having to convert them using scripts back and forth with each edit.
c(>^x^<c)~
This is Fluffy the cat.
Fluffy wants to discover new things that everyone likes.
Fluffy likes to watch spaceship guns in Golly.

There’s one problem,

Fluffy doesn’t exist :(
Redstoneboi

Previous

Return to General Discussion