ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Catagolue Discussion Thread

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.

Re: Catagolue Discussion Thread

Postby Apple Bottom » October 14th, 2018, 5:05 am

calcyman wrote:No, I'm afraid they're irrevocably deleted.

Oh. Hmm, that's a bit of a bother as far as the statistics in the Catagolue article on the LifeWiki article are concerned. The C1 ones are OK, but the !C1 ones are aggregated across all higher symmetries, so I can't just use /objcount for those.

Looks like I may just have to remove the xp2 statistic. (It's probably not important exactly how many different period-2 oscillators were found in higher symmetries anyway.)

EDIT: or, alternatively, add a note saying it's not an exact figure. Caveat lector!
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!
Apple Bottom

Postby muzik » November 5th, 2018, 7:25 am

Will any more rules be getting animated pattern icons in the near future? This one, for example, is the strobing equivalent of day and night, so if it would be possible for catagolue to somehow pick up on this, it could borrow animations from the real day and night.
waiting for apgsearch to support one-dimensional rules
muzik

Postby Ian07 » November 6th, 2018, 7:31 am

Adam, could you please delete the erroneous objects I submitted for Move/Morley and D&N real quick? Thanks.
Ian07

Postby 77topaz » November 6th, 2018, 8:00 am

Ian07 wrote:Adam, could you please delete the erroneous objects I submitted for Move/Morley and D&N real quick? Thanks.

I don't think there's any quick way for him to delete "erroneous objects"... otherwise we wouldn't have hundreds of censuses that contain them. There's even a few in b3s23 censuses, if I remember correctly.
77topaz

Postby calcyman » November 6th, 2018, 8:31 am

Ian07 wrote:Adam, could you please delete the erroneous objects I submitted for Move/Morley and D&N real quick? Thanks.

I believe I already did -- I quarantined and backed out the offending hauls. Certainly there are no gliders here:

https://catagolue.appspot.com/census/b3678s34678/C1/xq4

or here:

https://catagolue.appspot.com/census/b368s245/C1/xq4

Oh gosh you've added four new hauls with gliders. Can you please stop searching until I realise what's happened (probably a bad regex on my part)? Thank you!
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!
calcyman

Postby Ian07 » November 6th, 2018, 4:34 pm

calcyman wrote:Oh gosh you've added four new hauls with gliders. Can you please stop searching until I realise what's happened (probably a bad regex on my part)? Thank you!

Sorry about that. I had a search running while I was at school and when I got back and heard there was a new update, I immediately submitted the hauls not knowing they contained the gliders.
Ian07

Postby 77topaz » November 6th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Oh okay, those erroneous objects were just coming from specific hauls from a specific bugged version. Some rules have been reporting erroneous objects in pretty much every version of apgsearch...
77topaz

Postby calcyman » November 6th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Ian07 wrote:
calcyman wrote:Oh gosh you've added four new hauls with gliders. Can you please stop searching until I realise what's happened (probably a bad regex on my part)? Thank you!

Sorry about that. I had a search running while I was at school and when I got back and heard there was a new update, I immediately submitted the hauls not knowing they contained the gliders.

Thanks. I've now backed out each of those hauls individually from the census, and checked that it results in the number of gliders being restored to exactly zero.

Note to everyone: please update to v4.62-ll2.0.16 of apgsearch as soon as possible!
calcyman

Postby muzik » November 20th, 2018, 9:05 am

Is it possible to request that certain censuses be merged together, provided the contained rules are equivalent?
muzik

Postby Apple Bottom » November 24th, 2018, 4:53 am

While we're on the subject of requests, is this sort of thing really necessary? It's not even marked _Test.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Apple Bottom

Postby muzik » December 4th, 2018, 9:12 am

Would it at all make sense to add the ability to "report" objects which are incorrectly separated?
muzik

Postby wwei23 » December 6th, 2018, 10:55 am

1x256X2, 1X2x256, D2_+1_Gutter, and the infamous 1x256X2+1, are listed under Unofficial symmetries in the symmetry list on rule pages, and as troll symmetries on object pages. They're supposed to be listed as troll symmetries on the rule pages.
wwei23

Postby muzik » December 6th, 2018, 11:57 am

muzik

Postby calcyman » Yesterday, 12:32 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:
calcyman wrote:It's not a bug; it's a feature.

[...]

Aha! That limit hadn't been on my mind anymore. Thanks for the explanation! :)

Is there a way to retrieve the culled objects, BTW? I.e., is there such a thing as (say) https://catagolue.appspot.com/textcensu ... D8_4/xp2/2 to get the second MB worth of objects, etc.?

Great news: I've now implemented gzip compression for large ( > 750 KB) b3s23 tabulations*. For instance, the xp2 tabulation in b3s23/D8_1 now occupies only 338438 bytes in storage (980063 bytes uncompressed).

* Frighteningly, this momentarily caused the xp2 tabulation in b3s23/D8_1 to display 0 objects on the census page, but that's because the Java code snippet I borrowed didn't remember to insert linebreaks in the decompressed string. After amending the code, everything works smoothly.

This means that b3s23 tabulations can now grow up to three times as large as before (and, in particular, the b3s23/C1 census won't start discarding objects until it reaches an object count of ~ 40 quadrillion -- approximately 150 times the current size of the census).

Now that we know that it works, I might start gzipping tabulations in other rules and lower the size threshold. This should lower memory and storage costs, theoretically, and therefore give a slight scalability boost to Catagolue.

EDIT: In retrospect, it looks like bzip2 would be even smaller than gzip (235664 bytes instead of 338438).
calcyman

Postby Apple Bottom » Yesterday, 1:52 pm

calcyman wrote:Great news: I've now implemented gzip compression for large ( > 750 KB) b3s23 tabulations*. For instance, the xp2 tabulation in b3s23/D8_1 now occupies only 338438 bytes in storage (980063 bytes uncompressed). [...]

This means that b3s23 tabulations can now grow up to three times as large as before (and, in particular, the b3s23/C1 census won't start discarding objects until it reaches an object count of ~ 40 quadrillion -- approximately 150 times the current size of the census).

Marvellous!

calcyman wrote:EDIT: In retrospect, it looks like bzip2 would be even smaller than gzip (235664 bytes instead of 338438).

And then there's xz, as well as more exotic ones like zopfli and brotli... though with (de)compression also using resources, squeezing out a few more bytes may not be a good trade-off (right now).

Matt Mahoney's got an interesting comparison page here for various compressors, BTW.

Apple Bottom

Previous

Return to General Discussion