New Site for Sharing Golly Patterns and More

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Tezcatlipoca

New Site for Sharing Golly Patterns and More

Post by Tezcatlipoca » February 16th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Hi! I like this forum a lot, but a forum is not the best medium for sharing and distributing the actual products of our experimentation, so I've put some time lately into building something I hope can function as a companion and take on those jobs more appropriately. It's at a stable point, but to some extent it is a work in progress as I plan to continue improving it. But I hope all of you will come by and check it out! Maybe make an account and contribute a little if you like what you see. Feel free to make suggestions here or there on how to make it what you'd like it to be.

http://patterns.boundstechconsulting.com

Thanks! :D

Scorbie

Re: New Site for Sharing Golly Patterns and More

Post by Scorbie » February 17th, 2015, 9:00 am

Nice job! I guess that's a site for loops. Just signed up after a quick tour. It was pleasant to see the messanger-like UI! I also liked the pointing system after seeing strange activities these days. Maybe we could consider adding that here.

Tezcatlipoca

Post by Tezcatlipoca » February 17th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Scorbie wrote:Nice job! I guess that's a site for loops.
Would it be useful to put up a similar section for gliders, spaceships, guns, bombers and the like? I come from a biology background so I play mostly with the loops.

Provided I get some visitors, I'll let you know how people like the points system. The way I've implemented them is through a drupal module--my site is drupal based so I don't think telling you about it would help you that much.

I am going to put a link to both this forum and golly on the front page. I have yet to really create a great design for the front... I plan to work on it next time I have a minute. But I intend it to be kind of a social repository cousin to this place, which is well designed for the things it sets out to do.

Scorbie

Post by Scorbie » February 18th, 2015, 5:27 am

Tezcatlipoca wrote:Hi! I like this forum a lot, but a forum is not the best medium for sharing and distributing the actual products of our experimentation...
Actually, I would like to here specifically why. What aspects of the forum medium bugged you?
Would it be useful to put up a similar section for gliders, spaceships, guns, bombers and the like? I come from a biology background so I play mostly with the loops. 
I think that depends with the answer to the question above, but generally, I think a new section is not worth spending your time and effort. We already have lifewiki and many forums, and support for additional features here would be better than making an entirely new site for all life topics, in my opinion.

But I really like your new site as I like LFoD wiki. Because I could get organized information in that specific field.

Anyway, it's your webpage, so I guess it's your decision. Based on the current look, I think it'll turn out well.

Oh and a small personal opinion. I think it would be nice if one could sign up with conwaylife account + real name.

Tezcatlipoca

Post by Tezcatlipoca » February 21st, 2015, 12:05 am

Scorbie wrote:Oh and a small personal opinion. I think it would be nice if one could sign up with conwaylife account + real name.
I'd love to have it open to all ConwayLife.com Members... I don't know how exactly it would work technically off the top of my head and I don't know who to inquire with on that, but maybe you could point me in the right direction as to who to talk to to see if there's any interest?

Thanks!