Golly communication

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
wwei23

Golly communication

Post by wwei23 » June 26th, 2017, 10:24 am

What is going on? I pasted a rule into Golly 2.8, and now Golly 2.7 has it too, even though I didn't paste it into Golly 2.7! Why?

Saka

Re: Golly communication

Post by Saka » June 26th, 2017, 10:26 am

wwei23 wrote:What is going on? I pasted a rule into Golly 2.8, and now Golly 2.7 has it too, even though I didn't paste it into Golly 2.7! Why?
What's the problem really? They probably share a common rule folder

wwei23

Post by wwei23 » June 26th, 2017, 10:32 am

Saka wrote:
wwei23 wrote:What is going on? I pasted a rule into Golly 2.8, and now Golly 2.7 has it too, even though I didn't paste it into Golly 2.7! Why?
That's really weird. If I have two copies of Golly, how does one know that the other has a rule folder?

Saka

Post by Saka » June 26th, 2017, 10:34 am

wwei23 wrote:
Saka wrote:
That's really weird. If I have two copies of Golly, how does one know that the other has a rule folder?
Dunno lel. Now this is the real question. I've been wondering too.

calcyman

Post by calcyman » June 26th, 2017, 10:55 am

Your rules (the ones you paste into Golly) are stored in your user home directory (/home/whatever or C:\Users\whatever), rather than in the Rules subdirectory of the Golly installation.
What do you do with ill crystallographers? Take them to the mono-clinic!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » June 26th, 2017, 8:47 pm

wwei23 wrote:If I have two copies of Golly, how does one know that the other has a rule folder?
They are both using the same GollyPrefs file. The path to your rules folder is set in Preferences > Control and stored in GollyPrefs. If you want your two Golly versions to use different rule folders then copy GollyPrefs from its current location (see bottom of Help > File Menu) and put it in the same folder as the Golly executable. Restart that Golly and change the rules folder path in Prefs > Control.
Use Glu to explore CA rules on non-periodic tilings: DominoLife and HatLife

wwei23

Post by wwei23 » June 29th, 2017, 10:16 am

I want to honor the Golly Gang for this smart choice. Every time I apgsearch a non-totalistic rule, Golly 2.7v can use it!

wwei23

Post by wwei23 » June 29th, 2017, 10:19 am

By the way, Golly 2.7 has a minor advantage over Golly 2.8. If you have it minimized, it seems to go really fast, while Golly 2.8 doesn't.