Methethulas

For general discussion about Conway's Game of Life.
Hunting

Methethulas

Post by Hunting » September 21st, 2017, 9:22 am

1150M(?Is this it?Is this new?)

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
3o$o$3o$obo$3o!
HWSS+Pond+Glider????

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 24, rule = B3/S23
8bo$8bobo$8b2o7$b2o$o2bo$o2bo$b2o5$b3o$bo2bo$bo$bo3bo$bo3bo$bo$2bobo!

toroidalet

Re: Methethulas

Post by toroidalet » September 21st, 2017, 11:03 am

From da rulez
Some specific examples of discoveries that won't be of interest to this community include:
    A methuselah that lasts fewer than 20,000 generations or is larger than a 20-by-20 box.
Some examples of methuselahs can be found here. Most of these last 20 times as long as yours. In the future, please consult what is known before posting. (Or post in the AUPNWOPT thread)
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » September 21st, 2017, 12:58 pm

toroidalet wrote:Some examples of methuselahs can be found here. Most of these last 20 times as long as yours. In the future, please consult what is known before posting. (Or post in the AUPNWOPT thread)
Speaking of rules, I'm not sure there is a rule to this effect, but if not I think there should be: don't bite the newcomers! (Actually, this is probably covered by "be kind", which is part of the very first rule.)

It takes time to familiarize oneself with how a forum works and even more to really understand what is and isn't a noteworthy discovery. In the case of methuselahs, there are specific criteria in the rules, granted. For spaceships, this isn't true. I'd understand your reaction if these were posts by a regular, but they're not. First impressions matter, and the newcomer of today may go on to discover something amazing tomorrow.

So, to Hunting: first and foremost, welcome to the forums! Don't let this rough start scare you off. Take your time to get familiar with the forums and what the Life community does and doesn't consider noteworthy discoveries. Experiment, read up on what others have found and built, and most of all, have fun.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

Hunting

Post by Hunting » September 21st, 2017, 11:15 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:
toroidalet wrote:Some examples of methuselahs can be found here. Most of these last 20 times as long as yours. In the future, please consult what is known before posting. (Or post in the AUPNWOPT thread)
Speaking of rules, I'm not sure there is a rule to this effect, but if not I think there should be: don't bite the newcomers! (Actually, this is probably covered by "be kind", which is part of the very first rule.)

It takes time to familiarize oneself with how a forum works and even more to really understand what is and isn't a noteworthy discovery. In the case of methuselahs, there are specific criteria in the rules, granted. For spaceships, this isn't true. I'd understand your reaction if these were posts by a regular, but they're not. First impressions matter, and the newcomer of today may go on to discover something amazing tomorrow.

So, to Hunting: first and foremost, welcome to the forums! Don't let this rough start scare you off. Take your time to get familiar with the forums and what the Life community does and doesn't consider noteworthy discoveries. Experiment, read up on what others have found and built, and most of all, have fun.
Thanks.I just want to check has anyone found this.
I can't find a page on lifewiki about Spaceships with two rakes.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec » December 19th, 2017, 12:40 pm

Maybe long-lasting patterns that don't make the forum's standard for methuselahs could be called "jareds"?