ConwayLife.com - A community for Conway's Game of Life and related cellular automata
Home  •  LifeWiki  •  Forums  •  Download Golly

Trouble loading Python library

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.

Trouble loading Python library

Postby Ethanagor » March 20th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Hello! I'm not sure if this is necessary to start a thread for (or if this even fits under this forum), but I am having trouble getting Python scripts to work. I have two versions of Python installed, one of which is the default. I have tried typing the names of both versions, and when that didn't work I tried typing the full paths to both DLL files. However, I still cannot get Golly to be able to access the python library. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my ignorance.

~Ethan :D
"It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache." - Frank N. Furter
Ethanagor

Re: Trouble loading Python library

Postby dvgrn » March 20th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Ethanagor wrote:I have two versions of Python installed, one of which is the default.

More specifics, please!

1) What are the version numbers of the two Python versions?
2a) If possible, what are the names of the downloaded executables used to install those Python versions?
This is one easy way to see whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Python installed.
2b) If you don't have the installer executables handy, go to a Python command line and enter

import sys; print (sys.version)

3) What version of Golly did you download? There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If you try running 32-bit Golly with 64-bit Python or vice versa, it won't work (and unfortunately Golly will be kind of mysterious about it).
dvgrn

Return to Scripts