Python problems

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
drc

Python problems

Post by drc » January 2nd, 2016, 1:28 pm

I moved to a new computer, 64-bit windows 7, and tried to run python scripts, (two versions of apgsearch-hacked and life-integer-gun30) but it closes out of golly. I think I might have the wrong python27.dll file, so a file would be helpful.

dvgrn

Re: Python problems

Post by dvgrn » January 2nd, 2016, 8:46 pm

drc wrote:I moved to a new computer, 64-bit windows 7, and tried to run python scripts, (two versions of apgsearch-hacked and life-integer-gun30) but it closes out of golly. I think I might have the wrong python27.dll file, so a file would be helpful.
I've been meaning to bring this up on golly-test -- thanks for the reminder. If you installed the latest 64-bit Python -- 2.7.11 -- then you're seeing the same behavior I've just seen on a new 64-bit Windows 7 laptop.

I uninstalled 2.7.11 and installed 64-bit Python 2.7.6, and that worked fine.

I seem to recall that Python 2.7.8 worked fine with Golly as well -- maybe try that one, and then fall back to 2.7.6 if necessary? Somewhere between there and 2.7.11 Python starts doing something that Golly doesn't expect... Let me know if 2.7.8 works, or 2.7.6, or if you still have problems.

drc

Post by drc » January 2nd, 2016, 11:44 pm

dvgrn wrote:
drc wrote:I moved to a new computer, 64-bit windows 7, and tried to run python scripts, (two versions of apgsearch-hacked and life-integer-gun30) but it closes out of golly. I think I might have the wrong python27.dll file, so a file would be helpful.
I've been meaning to bring this up on golly-test -- thanks for the reminder. If you installed the latest 64-bit Python -- 2.7.11 -- then you're seeing the same behavior I've just seen on a new 64-bit Windows 7 laptop.

I uninstalled 2.7.11 and installed 64-bit Python 2.7.6, and that worked fine.

I seem to recall that 64-bit Python 2.7.8 worked fine with Golly as well -- maybe try that one, and then fall back to 2.7.6 if necessary? Somewhere between there and 2.7.11 Python starts doing something that Golly doesn't expect... Let me know if 2.7.8 works, or 2.7.6, or if you still have problems.
Just downloaded 2.7.6, I keep entering the location of the python27.dll file but it doesn't recognise it.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 3rd, 2016, 12:42 am

drc wrote:Just downloaded 2.7.6, I keep entering the location of the python27.dll file but it doesn't recognise it.
Huh. Are you sure you downloaded the 64-bit version of Golly, and not the default 32-bit one? That's the main thing I can think of offhand that would cause that.

EDIT: Just noticed that I mis-copied the link to 2.7.8 -- it was pointing to a Python 3.4 download. Fixed it in the previous message. Installing one of those Python 3.x's also causes the same Golly-doesn't-like-your-Python symptom, I believe.

We really probably ought to figure out how to give better error messages when the DLL is present but not compatible with Golly.

drc

Post by drc » January 3rd, 2016, 11:19 am

dvgrn wrote:Huh. Are you sure you downloaded the 64-bit version of Golly, and not the default 32-bit one? That's the main thing I can think of offhand that would cause that.

EDIT: Just noticed that I mis-copied the link to 2.7.8 -- it was pointing to a Python 3.4 download. Fixed it in the previous message. Installing one of those Python 3.x's also causes the same Golly-doesn't-like-your-Python symptom, I believe.

We really probably ought to figure out how to give better error messages when the DLL is present but not compatible with Golly.
Downloaded 64-bit golly, tried 2.7.6 and it didn't work. Tried 2.7.8 and it was missing the DLL file.

EDIT: Fixed! I found one in system32 that works fine.