I forgot how to use gfind

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
Saka

I forgot how to use gfind

Post by Saka » November 23rd, 2016, 5:19 am

What's the CygWin Command to run it? Sorry :P

drc

Re: I forgot how to use gfind

Post by drc » November 23rd, 2016, 6:00 pm

./gfind b3s23
Gfind can be very confusing sometimes

Saka

Post by Saka » November 24th, 2016, 3:25 am

Ok thanks. but what is the gfind for non totalistic rules? Sorry...

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » November 24th, 2016, 3:57 am

Saka wrote:Ok thanks. but what is the gfind for non totalistic rules? Sorry...
There are no "out of the box" search tools for non-totalistic rules which have been published to the forums. If you really do want to search those rules you will need to do a bit of work to compile a rule-specific version of one of the existing tools. There are instructions for adapting gfind and also zfind with caveats that both are likely to have bugs.

Here are some notes I have made elsewhere about using the adapted gfind:
I thought you would appreciate a warning that the code has some issues - particularly in the use of symmetries and in the detection of completed spaceships. As mentioned in that forum thread, the code which detects completed spaceships uses some shortcuts based on the input rule and the symmetry - but because the ruleTab array is compiled in (not generated from the input rule) it is possible that in some cases gfind will not find a spaceship which it should have. I am not yet aware of a test case for this but it is likely. It is also necessary to provide an input rule to gfind. I tend to choose the Life-like rule which is most like the rule being searched, e.g. for the x-rule precursor rule I used B23/S124.

Additionally, the For-gfind-from-HenselNotation.py script which EricG posted uses a different variation of Hensel's notation for isotropic rules. To use the script you need to swap 'r' and 'y' wherever they occur in the rulestring, and replace 'n' with 'v'. Also, there is a bug in handling of S8 - mME is added twice in the corresponding ruleTab entry which causes a compilation error.
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

Saka

Post by Saka » November 24th, 2016, 5:00 am

Yes I am looking for that one with the ruleTab things... I know it exists...

EDIT: Found it! I just renamed it "Sif" and I had no idea :roll: