apgsearch and Non-Totalistic Rules

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
Hdjensofjfnen

apgsearch and Non-Totalistic Rules

Post by Hdjensofjfnen » February 5th, 2017, 6:30 pm

For some reason, my version of apgsearch (v1.1) won't search non-totalistic rules.

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 9, rule = B3-jqr/S01c2-in3
3bo$4bo$o2bo$2o2$2o$o2bo$4bo$3bo!

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
4b3o$6bo$o3b3o$2o$bo!

dvgrn

Re: apgsearch and Non-Totalistic Rules

Post by dvgrn » February 5th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Yes, isotropic rules aren't supported in out-of-the-box apgsearch -- you have to be willing to dig around on the Hacking apgsearch thread. Or possibly elsewhere, if my information is out of date.

(Which it might well be. I have enough trouble with plain old ordinary Life, and have seldom dared to set foot in the vast multiverse of isotropic rules.)

This question came up a few months ago, I believe: there was some rumor of a v(0.54+0.22i), but there doesn't seem to be a release by that name yet. Can someone give a more authoritative summary of the current cutting edge of isotropic rule searching?

praosylen

Re: apgsearch and Non-Totalistic Rules

Post by praosylen » February 11th, 2017, 5:33 pm

dvgrn wrote:This question came up a few months ago, I believe: there was some rumor of a v(0.54+0.22i), but there doesn't seem to be a release by that name yet. Can someone give a more authoritative summary of the current cutting edge of isotropic rule searching?
An update: I hope to have 0.22i done within two months, because I just finally received a new Mac with OS X Sierra installed. It should hopefully be easier to use and contain bugfixes, with more (somewhat minor) features; I hope to eventually modify it to take fuller advantage of Golly 2.8's capabilities and optimize for speed, as well as improving support for rules with common infinite growth, but that would be some time in the future.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...