apgsearch Question

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
Plaba

apgsearch Question

Post by Plaba » December 21st, 2017, 1:24 pm

Hi,
I have apgsearch and am in the process of running a hundred million soups. Where do I find all the unidentified objects my search turns up?

I'm a newbie to this forum. I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong place.

Thanks,
Plaba

Rhombic

Re: apgsearch Question

Post by Rhombic » December 21st, 2017, 1:44 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums!!
I'm guessing you're running the C version (apgluxe 4.2) from a terminal?
In that case, they should be uploaded to http://catagolue.appspot.com/census/
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » December 21st, 2017, 1:46 pm

Plaba wrote:Hi,
I have apgsearch and am in the process of running a hundred million soups. Where do I find all the unidentified objects my search turns up?

I'm a newbie to this forum. I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong place.

Thanks,
Plaba
(Also search non totalistic rules. b3s23/C1 is boring. In the Other CA forum, apgsearch - haul requests is a good thread and b34w7es234kqw is a good rule to search)
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

praosylen

Post by praosylen » December 21st, 2017, 3:02 pm

Majestas32 wrote:(Also search non totalistic rules. b3s23/C1 is boring. In the Other CA forum, apgsearch - haul requests is a good thread and b34w7es234kqw is a good rule to search)
That's certainly a matter of opinion. Personally, I'd like to see many more people searching b3s23/C1 and other Life symmetries at this point, since there's been somewhat of a hiatus for the last few months in volume of contribution to b3s23.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

Plaba

Post by Plaba » December 21st, 2017, 3:36 pm

Sorry, I forgot to say I'm running the Python version of apgsearch for Golly 3.0 on a Mac.

Majestas32

Post by Majestas32 » December 21st, 2017, 3:57 pm

A for awesome wrote:
Majestas32 wrote:(Also search non totalistic rules. b3s23/C1 is boring. In the Other CA forum, apgsearch - haul requests is a good thread and b34w7es234kqw is a good rule to search)
That's certainly a matter of opinion. Personally, I'd like to see many more people searching b3s23/C1 and other Life symmetries at this point, since there's been somewhat of a hiatus for the last few months in volume of contribution to b3s23.
Well yeah but convincing n00bs to follow MY personal opinion instead of others' is an honored pastime.
Searching:
b2-a5k6n7cs12-i3ij4k5j8
b2-a3c7cs12-i

Currently looking for help searching these rules.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » December 21st, 2017, 4:23 pm

A for awesome wrote:That's certainly a matter of opinion. Personally, I'd like to see many more people searching b3s23/C1 and other Life symmetries at this point, since there's been somewhat of a hiatus for the last few months in volume of contribution to b3s23.
I concur with Aidan there. B3/S23/C1 has grown fairly large, and apparently that's turned some people off of contributing, but what we'd actually need is more contributions, from more contributors. There's no end of interesting things still to discover; but the low-hanging fruits have been picked, so if anything we need to make a bigger effort to reach the ones higher up.

Of course other CAs are interesting too. One of the problems (well, "problems") with them, however is actually that there's just too darn many -- even outer-totalistic Life-like CAs are legion, not to speak of non-totalistic ones. So how do you choose which ones to investigate?

What people currently do, I think, is use other searcher programs to identify rules in which certain simple patterns evolve in interesting ways, then use apgsearch to take a more comprehensive look at those rules. But that's a relatively low-level approach where "interestingness" is defined in terms of e.g. "has high-period spaceships". Contrast that with, say, Conway's proof that Life can serve as a general model of computation; that's a much more sophisticated notion of "interesting".

Of course, in the grand scheme of thing it doesn't really matter; (almost) all rules are interesting in some sense, and any contribution is good. But to get back to the original question, I, too, would encourage more contributions to B3/S23/C1.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!