Need help with Gfind!

For scripts to aid with computation or simulation in cellular automata.
KittyTac

Need help with Gfind!

Post by KittyTac » February 26th, 2018, 10:01 am

When I try to search some rules, it prints an error message: "Unexpected character in command line: ' n" or something along these lines.

wildmyron

Re: Need help with Gfind!

Post by wildmyron » February 26th, 2018, 11:13 am

Please provide the command you are using to invoke gfind. Also, which version of gfind did you compile and is it modified in any way (such as Paul Tooke's patches)?
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

Semi-active here - recovering from a severe case of LWTDS.

KittyTac

Post by KittyTac » February 26th, 2018, 10:20 pm

I used ./gfind to start the program. I used the version from the "Compiling C code" tutorial.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » February 26th, 2018, 11:15 pm

KittyTac wrote:I used ./gfind to start the program.
OK, what input do you provide when gfind prompts for a rule?

I don't find that a very useful way to run gfind. It's better to specify the rule on the command line. This has the added benefit of allowing you to use command history to easily modify the search. BTW, when gfind asks for a rule, it's actually asking you to enter all the search parameters, so you can type "b3s23/o3" to find only the dart. As I said, better to put this on the command line and invoke gfind with something like:

Code: Select all

./gfind b3s23/o3
In case you haven't yet, use "./gfind c" to see all the search options.
The '/' characteers are optional. I use them to seperate the different parts of the search specification so that it's a bit easier to see what the search was looking for when I review it later.
KittyTac wrote:I used the version from the "Compiling C code" tutorial.
OK, that's Eppstein's original version 4.9
The 5S project (Smallest Spaceships Supporting Specific Speeds) is now maintained by AforAmpere. The latest collection is hosted on GitHub and contains well over 1,000,000 spaceships.

KittyTac

Post by KittyTac » February 27th, 2018, 1:24 am

Okay, I think I found the root of the problem. It can't run non-totalistic rules.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » February 27th, 2018, 3:03 am

KittyTac wrote:Okay, I think I found the root of the problem. It can't run non-totalistic rules.
Right, unmodified gfind can only search semi-totalistic rules.

@EricG outlined a method to hack gfind to search a given isotropic rule in the Adapting gfind thread. Please note that you need to compile the modified gfind specifically for the rule you wish to search; the adapted gfind.c file is based on an older version (v4.6); and the Python script there uses a variant of Allan Hensel's notation to specify the rule. Unless you want to search wide ships at low periods I would recommend using ntzfind, ntqfind, or perhaps lls instead. Alternatively, quite a few people would be grateful if you improved gfind's usability in this regard.

77topaz

Post by 77topaz » February 27th, 2018, 4:52 am

wildmyron wrote:Right, unmodified gfind can only search semi-totalistic rules.

@EricG outlined a method to hack gfind to search a given isotropic rule in the Adapting gfind thread. Please note that you need to compile the modified gfind specifically for the rule you wish to search; the adapted gfind.c file is based on an older version (v4.6); and the Python script there uses a variant of Allan Hensel's notation to specify the rule. Unless you want to search wide ships at low periods I would recommend using ntzfind, ntqfind, or perhaps lls instead. Alternatively, quite a few people would be grateful if you improved gfind's usability in this regard.
Hmm... is that the official ntgfind? Because I thought there was also a ntgfind, which might be the closest to what KittyTac's looking for.

wildmyron

Post by wildmyron » February 27th, 2018, 4:57 am

77topaz wrote:
wildmyron wrote:@EricG outlined a method to hack gfind to search a given isotropic rule in the Adapting gfind thread.
Hmm... is that the official ntgfind? Because I thought there was also a ntgfind, which might be the closest to what KittyTac's looking for.
It's not official, but it's the only means of using gfind to search non-totalistic rules (not just isotropic ones) that I'm aware of.

Edit: Fix quotation tags

JP21

Post by JP21 » December 17th, 2019, 8:12 am

wildmyron wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 11:15 pm
In case you haven't yet, use "./gfind c" to see all the search options.
It took 2 months long for me to find this... There was never a text saying how to get the options of gfind.
A 17 year old guy that have useless discoveries in life and other rules.

Code: Select all

x = 13, y = 20, rule = B3/S23
11b2o$11b2o4$8b2o$8b2o2$2o$2o3$3b2o$3b2o2$11b2o$10b2o$12bo$3b2o$3b2o!
My actions weren't smart back then.

testitemqlstudop

Post by testitemqlstudop » December 25th, 2019, 4:50 am

Wait, ntqfind exists? Where?

Waiting for ntikpx