Things You've Been Doing Other Than CGoL

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
gameoflifemaniac

Re: Things You've Been Doing Other Than CGoL

Post by gameoflifemaniac » May 11th, 2017, 9:58 am

I actually didn't lose my stats!
EDIT: And not banned!
Last edited by gameoflifemaniac on May 13th, 2017, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Code: Select all

b4o25bo$o29bo$b3o3b3o2bob2o2bob2o2bo3bobo$4bobo3bob2o2bob2o2bobo3bobo$
4bobo3bobo5bo5bo3bobo$o3bobo3bobo5bo6b4o$b3o3b3o2bo5bo9bobo$24b4o!

Mr. Missed Her
Location: Somewhere within [time in years since this was entered] light-years of you.

Post by Mr. Missed Her » May 12th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I downloaded this wonderful program called Space Engine. It's interesting (since astronomy/astrophysics in general are interesting), and you can have fun flying spaceships around. Now I just need to learn how to avoid crashing into planets so much. (It turns out "autopilot" is really just "automatic crashing into selected object.")

I wonder if autopilot even attempts to reach the future position of the planet, instead of just going straight towards the object and then having to keep readjusting to keep heading straight towards it.

Edit:
'Bout 5 G's of acceleration, or 0 with the other (retro) engines turned on too.
'Bout 5 G's of acceleration, or 0 with the other (retro) engines turned on too.
spaceship yay.png (75.58 KiB) Viewed 11222 times
There is life on Mars. We put it there with not-completely-sterilized rovers.
And, for that matter, the Moon, Jupiter, Titan, and 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

drc

Post by drc » May 14th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Got one of my friends to be my pondlife apgsearch slave :P . They can search 5x faster than I can.
EDIT: Actually it's something like 10x but I can't accurately measure
Last edited by drc on May 14th, 2017, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saka

Post by Saka » May 14th, 2017, 11:31 pm

drc wrote:Got one of my friends to be my pondlife apgsearch slave :P . They can search 5x faster than I can.
:lol: I have never done something like that before! How cruel! :lol:
I also got my friends interested in CA once. He played around in the Star Wars rule and found a cool ship. If you download my files on the Star Wars thread you can find it. (Hint: His name is Myles)

drc

Post by drc » May 14th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Saka wrote: :lol: I have never done something like that before! How cruel! :lol:
I also got my friends interested in CA once. He played around in the Star Wars rule and found a cool ship. If you download my files on the Star Wars thread you can find it. (Hint: His name is Myles)
Well that is very nice, here's to hoping something doesn't screw up with catagolue, since my friend is asleep.

EDIT: I'm also trying to teach him about the general CGoL-sphere, it's coming along a bit slowly. Anybody have good beginner guides?"

muzik

Post by muzik » May 17th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Been thinking about geometry lately.

Since you can create a great dodecahedron from 12 intersecting pentagons, is there such thing as a "great cube"? This would consist of 6 squares, linked together to form a shape like some sort of excavated octahedron (sharing the same vertex and edge arrangement just like the great dodecahedron does the icosahedron). It probably wouldn't be very regular though since the squares would be directly overlapping each other.
Last edited by muzik on May 18th, 2017, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gameoflifeboy

Post by gameoflifeboy » May 17th, 2017, 7:48 pm

muzik wrote:Been thinking about geometry lately.

Still nice you can create a great dodecahedron from 12 intersecting pentagons, is there such thing as a "great cube"? This would consist of 6 squares, linked together to form a shape like some sort of excavated octahedron (sharing the same vertex and edge arrangement just like the great dodecahedron does the icosahedron).
Yes, you can create something like this. It wouldn't be a true polyhedron, though, as the squares would come in three overlapping sets of two. It is a degenerate polyhedron, but it still fulfills the basic rule that two faces meet at an edge. In fact, it is a compound of three square dihedra.
It probably wouldn't be very regular though since the squares would be directly overlapping each other.
No, it would be perfectly regular. The cubic symmetry group of transformations allow any face to be mapped onto every other face in 8 ways, equal to the order of symmetry of the faces. There are also four ways to map an edge onto each other edge, and 8 ways to map each vertex of valence 4 (which is actually two coinciding vertices) onto each other vertex. This means that this is a truly regular compound, and in fact the square dihedra can be replaced by cubes (as square prisms) or even octagonal prisms and the resulting figure will still be vertex-transitive, if also coincidic.

muzik

Post by muzik » May 18th, 2017, 8:31 pm

and the "great octahedron" would just be the same as the stellated octahedron/compound of two tetrahedra, right?

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » May 19th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Made a long time ago a sine calculator in GD! ID: 33013776
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Saka

Post by Saka » May 21st, 2017, 5:30 am

I accidentally found a googlewhack when misspelling a plant species: "asplenium aleutiXXXcun" like A for Awesome said, the XXX is for preventing this page to come up.

muzik

Post by muzik » May 21st, 2017, 5:40 pm

Another geometry related thought: would the star polygon {4/2} be a compound of two digons, or a square stellated to infinity as in the tetrahemihexacron?

gameoflifeboy

Post by gameoflifeboy » May 22nd, 2017, 12:46 am

muzik wrote:Another geometry related thought: would the star polygon {4/2} be a compound of two digons, or a square stellated to infinity as in the tetrahemihexacron?
Under common usage, {(n*a)/(n*b)} (where n, a, b are integers, and a and b are coprime) is commonly used to represent a compound of n a/b-gons (in this case, n = 2, a = 2, and b = 1, so it is a compound of 2 digons as you said) but a more professional notation, used here uses {(n*a)/(n*b)} to represent a different shape, an {a/b}-gon that closes after reaching the starting point n times. To visualize this for {6/2}, imagine drawing a triangle but continuing past the starting point and tracing each edge again before closing. The finished figure has six edges that overlap in three pairs. {4/2} would be a similar thing, a doubly-wound digon.

So to answer your question, {4/2} technically represents neither of the things you said, but it could be used to represent the compound of two digons under a casual interpretation. Many of your questions seem to relate to how naming systems (describing similarities between shapes) should get extended to cover unconventional cases which, while a fun exercise, usually produces the best results when you open your mind to the exact algorithm the naming system uses and apply it in the most literal way possible. Sometimes there is more than one way to do this; I prefer the notation I described as "technical" because it considers the shape topologically and only makes the edges the same length as an afterthought.

About the infinite stellation, I'm not as partial to this one because it requires the definition of vertices at infinity. I'm rather uncomfortable with the duals of hemipolyhedra for the same reason. I still never really tried to visualize the tetrahemihexacron, mostly because the 6 infinite extensions that only describe 3 vertices confuse me.

muzik

Post by muzik » May 30th, 2017, 8:02 am

Well, my two thoughts were these:

- The 2 in 4/2 means joining every second point in the outside to each other, without leaving out any points, giving the plus shape, and

- the 2 meaning the first stellation (since 1 means the convex polygon, so subtracting 1 from the 2 gives the first stellation), and since the two edges are parallel they would never meet and simply give an infinite figure.

So, more random shenanigans:

- Are there any polyhedra that are isogonal, isohedral and isotoxal, but the faces aren't all strictly regular polygons? I'm thinking the stellations of the icosahedron might count as these.

- Assuming that the figure {6/3} represents a star figure compound of three digons and not just a triply-wound digon, would this mean that the figure {3/1.5} would somehow be half of this? To me it would seem like a "perfect Y", with three equally spaced lines radiating out from a point, similarly to one of those fidget spinners, or the shape you can draw inside a hexagon to make it look like an opaque cube.
Last edited by muzik on June 1st, 2017, 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

praosylen

Post by praosylen » May 30th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Something that's always irritated me is music notated in 3/8 time. It's really just 3/4, 6/8, 9/8, 12/8, or maybe a mixed combination of the previous ones.

6/4 divided up into 2 groups of 3 beats always used to irritate me a similar reason; it's normally just 2 3/4 bars ungainly smashed together; until I heard a piece where it wasn't just misnotated 3/4. By the way, 6/4 divided up the other way is one of my favorite time signatures, along with 11/8 and anything with a multiple of 5 in the numerator.
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

muzik

Post by muzik » May 31st, 2017, 12:51 am

I've tried experimenting with 11/4, 13/4, 17/4 and 19/4 recently. Nice set of quadruplet primes.

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » June 8th, 2017, 10:34 am

I have been doing... other cellular automata ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). The topic title wasn't 'Things You've Been Doing Other Than Cellular Automata' XDDDDDDDDDDD...

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » June 14th, 2017, 10:05 pm

So have I!

Saka

Post by Saka » June 15th, 2017, 2:49 am

gameoflifemaniac wrote:I have been doing... other cellular automata ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
You violated Rule #5, you used the wrong meme. The right meme is CSI

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » June 16th, 2017, 2:48 am

Wot's CSI?

Saka

Post by Saka » June 16th, 2017, 2:49 am

gameoflifemaniac wrote:Wot's CSI?
You clearly need more memes.

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » June 21st, 2017, 6:13 pm

I've been working on a large number notation comparable to Bowers' exploding array function and faster than Extensible-E notation, I believe. You just have to look it up. On the subject, Calcyman, you made the xi function right?
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

gameoflifeboy

Post by gameoflifeboy » June 21st, 2017, 7:19 pm

Congratulations!!! You just made history by making the first post on these forums that mentions Jonathan Bowers!

blah

Post by blah » June 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm

I don't know who that is, but I find it amusing how he's the only person on this list with no article.
succ

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » June 21st, 2017, 7:49 pm

I'm kind of surprised that I'm the first, what experience do you have with Bowers and his notation gameoflifeboy? Also, I am working on a text based game, getting sub-20 solves on a Rubik's cube more consistently, I only have two, (my best is 18.89), and a couple other projects.
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

gameoflifeboy

Post by gameoflifeboy » June 21st, 2017, 10:55 pm

AforAmpere wrote:I'm kind of surprised that I'm the first
I see what you mean. The rational part of my mind knew it had to happen eventually, but I still knew how excited I would be when it happened because I always thought of Bowers as a person whose work was underappreciated.

I figured out about Bowers Exploding Array function in 2011, after I discovered his work with polytopes and then explored the rest of his site. I figured out how the arrays worked all the way up to early tetrational arrays, and then gave up trying to visualize them but trusted that Bowers had provided a foolproof way to turn any unsolved array into a space that could be filled with numbers to create another array; with that in mind I was able to understand legion arrays too, as they involve the repeated application of the "array of" function, which takes an unsolved array and turns it into another array to be filled with the same number. However, recently on Googology Wiki there has been talk on a way to "formalize" the array-of notation so there was a well-defined method of describing the space of an array by another array. Mostly this involves extending the definition of Bowers Exploding Array Function so that the arguments can be ordinals as well. The last time I checked, they hadn't gotten very far.

By the way, Calcyman's Xi function is completely different. It grows uncomputably fast, which means that it grows faster than all functions whose values can be computed by a theoretical computer with infinite memory and time. This means that Xi(n) will eventually become larger than any function made by taking a Bowers array and setting some entries to n. (Assuming, of course, that all array spaces really can be defined.)