LifeWiki Trusted Account Request Thread - Post requests here

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
dvgrn

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki (and forums?)

Post by dvgrn » July 13th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Apple Bottom wrote:Would it be an idea to discuss (with Nathaniel) the possibility of having a second bureaucrat on the wiki who could act on these requests?
Um, well, that's one of the items that Nathaniel only has time to pay attention to in short bursts.

Last time the question came up, the theory was that I already had enough admin privileges to make changes to the trusted list. But when I tried it, I didn't -- some bit still needs to be flipped somewhere. I'm guessing it will happen eventually...!

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » July 16th, 2017, 2:37 am

As Nathaniel still hasn't trusted me, I decided to write the article in wiki syntax, and allow someone else who is trusted to put it up on the wiki. It does mean that I won't be credited for the article, but that's okay. It didn't take very long to write the article in wiki syntax, because all I had to do was transfer the word document I wrote 17 days ago into wiki syntax. However, I wasn't able to preview it because I am not trusted, and so there probably are many syntax-related mistakes. Anyway, here it is:

Code: Select all

[[Glider synthesis]] is the process of colliding gliders – the smallest spaceship Conway’s Game of Life – in a specific way to construct a specific object. It is one of the few areas in the Game of Life that many discoveries can still be made without using scripts. 

This is an example of a glider synthesis:
{{LV:Viewer|x = 63, y = 67, rule = B3/S23
2bo$3b2o$2b2o2$60bo$60bobo$60b2o$50bo$48b2o$49b2o2$12bo$13b2o$12b2o3$
7bobo$8b2o$8bo2$42bo$43bo$41b3o6$45bo$45bobob3o$45b2o2bo$50bo3$35bo$
34bo$31b2ob3o$30bobo$32bo7$18bo$16bobo$17b2o2$24b3o$26bo$25bo$4bo$4b2o
19b2o$3bobo19bobo$25bo2$53b2o$53bobo$53bo5$3o$2bo$bo! [[THUMBNAIL THEME 6 GRID]]}}

It is a 16 glider synthesis of Achim Flammerkamp’s pseudo-barberpole, which, at the time of writing, is the cheapest synthesis known of that object.

===Locating Known Glider Syntheses===
To locate a known glider synthesis, there are four places you should look:

*[http://codercontest.com/mniemiec/lifepage.htm Mark Niemiec’s website]
*[http://www.conwaylife.com/wiki/Main_Page LifeWiki]
*[https://github.com/ceebo/glider_synth/blob/master/display_synth.py Chris Cains’s display_synth script]
*[http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1155&start=550#p42862 Compressed Folder of cheapest oscillator syntheses]

Here is a Flowchart showing which of those places you should look in, depending on what type of object you chose:

<<insert flowchart here>>

Sometimes you will not find a synthesis for a particular object in any of these places. That could be because:

*There does exist a known synthesis, but it is hidden somewhere obscure. Your best bet is to ask on the forums.
*No syntheses are known because no-one has decided to synthesise that specific object before. These are usually pretty easy to make a synthesis for yourself
*No syntheses are known because the object is very difficult to synthesise. An example of this would be [[Spider]].

In the next section we will look at how to make your own syntheses. 

==Making your own glider syntheses==

===Using Catagloue to find glider syntheses===
Before you start, you will need to download the second python script posted by Brett Berger [http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2032&start=0#p27202 here]:
If you select an object in Golly and run the script, it will open the object’s catagolue page.

Let’s say you want to find a synthesis for	block on down [[candlefrobra]], which, according to Mark Niemiec’s website, takes 12 gliders:
{{LV:Viewer|x = 10, y = 5, rule = B3/S23
4bo$2obob2obo$2obo3bobo$3bo4bo$3b2o! [[THUMBNAIL THEME 6 GRID]]}}
Then select the pattern in Golly and run the script mentioned above. It should bring you to [http://catagolue.appspot.com/object?apgcode=xp3_025qz32qq1&rule=b3s23 this page on catagolue].
Scroll down to the part of the page with lots of differently coloured dots. These are all sample soups for the object. 
The black ones are asymmetric soups, which are the easiest to make syntheses from. (However, it should not be forgotten that you can still get good syntheses from symmetric soups.)

So click on the first asymmetric soup (the first black dot), and copy the rle it provides into Golly. You should get this:
{{LV:Viewer|x = 16, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
ob2o3bo2bo2bobo$ob5ob3o2bobo$obobo4b2obo2bo$3b2o5b3obo$2bobo8b3o$bo2bo
4b5obo$4b6obo2b2o$obo2b2o2b4o$o2bob4obo3b2o$5b3o2bo3bo$6bob2ob2o2bo$2b
2ob5obob2o$4o3b2obobo2bo$ob3ob2obo3b2o$3b3ob5o2b2o$bo3b2obob2obo! [[THUMBNAIL THEME 6 GRID]]}}

Now play the soup until the candlefrobra appears. This should happen at generation 919. Use the goto.py script (which comes with golly) to go 20 generations back. 
Watch each generation up to the candlefrobra’s formation step-by-step to see which objects react to make the candlefrobra. 
Next, go back 20 generations, select the objects that reacted to make a candlefrobra, and paste them into a new layer.

Test to see if that pasted pattern works. If it doesn’t work, go back to the layer with the soup, and select and paste a larger area. 
Once you’ve deleted any objects that don’t participate in the reaction, you should get something like this:
{{LV:Viewer|x = 11, y = 16, rule = B3/S23
9bo$8bobo$9b2o2$6bo$2o3bobo$2o2b2ob2o6$5bobo$4b3o$3b3o$3b2o! [[THUMBNAIL THEME 6 GRID]]}}
We know how to make all those reactants with gliders, so we can now make a synthesis! 
In fact, all of the reactants can be made in two gliders (those collisions can be found in two-glider-collisions.rle in Golly’s pattern collection).

However, before you start, you may notice that not all of the blinkers in the traffic light react before making the candlefrobra. So maybe we don’t need all of the blinkers. 
In fact, the only blinker we need is the top one. Try deleting the rest of the blinkers just before the Traffic Light first reacts. 
This isn’t necessary, but to help your understanding, I’ve replaced the traffic light predecessor with one that only makes a blinker to get this:
{{LV:Viewer|x = 11, y = 19, rule = B3/S23
9bo$8bobo$9b2o2$6bo$2o3bobo$2o2b2ob2o8$5b2o$2b3obo$2b2o$2b2obo$3bobo! [[THUMBNAIL THEME 6 GRID]]}}
Now there is also no junk left over after the synthesis, only the candlefrobra.

Now to start the synthesis. To do this, you should synthesise each of the reactants separately in such a way that they work when put together. 
You can find all the syntheses you need for this in two-glider-collisions.rle. Try to do this yourself. 
If you can’t manage to make it work using only 2-glider collisions, look in Mark Niemiec’s website to find more useful syntheses.

If you need a hint, these are the syntheses I would use:
x = 35, y = 29, rule = B3/S23
bo26bo$2bo14bo11b2ob2o$3o13bobo9b2o2bobo$4bo12b2o13bo$3bo$3b3o8bo$8b2o
3bobo$8b2o2b2ob2o2$25b2o$24bobo$26bo2$27b2o$27bobo$13b2o12bo$10b3obo$
10b2o$10b2obo$11bobo6$bobo$2b2o2b2o$2bo2b2o$7bo!
If you used the hint, note that you may need to rewind some of the syntheses to make it work.

How did you go? If you created a synthesis with less than 12 gliders then congratulations, you would have created a record breaking synthesis! 
For reference, this is the synthesis I created which used 8 gliders:
{{LV:Viewer|x = 17, y = 21, rule = B3/S23
9bobo$bo8b2o$2bo7bo3b3o$3o11bo$4bo10bo$3bo$3b3o2$7b2o$6bobo$8bo$2bo$ob
o6b2o$b2o6bobo$9bo4$10b3o$10bo$11bo! [[THUMBNAIL THEME 6 GRID]]}}

In this example with the block on trans-candlefrobra, we were lucky to get a good reaction from the very first soup. 
Sometimes, you will have to look through 20 or more soups before finding a suitable reaction.

If you want another practice for creating synthesis from a reaction, here is the reaction the current record holding synthesis of [[why not]] (8 gliders) was made with:
{{LV:Viewer|x = 22, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
17bo$16b3o$15b2ob2o$19b2o$19b3o$19b2o$10b3o2b2ob2o$2o8bobo	3b3o$b2o7b3o
4bo$o3$12b2o$12b2o! [[THUMBNAIL THEME 6 GRID]]}}

Good Luck!...

===Using Converters to Make Syntheses===

To be added later
There is a flowchart that it refers to which I have had attached to my first post in this thread.

So any trusted user should feel free to turn this into a wiki article in the tutorials section of the wiki, or instead just preview it, and fix any syntax mistakes. Thanks! :)

Saka

Post by Saka » July 16th, 2017, 3:31 am

Goldtiger997 wrote:Put up the article anyway
Done! Look at the tutorials section, under Other Search Methods (Page not created yet) or @ Tutorials/Glider_Syntheses

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » July 16th, 2017, 4:50 am

Saka wrote:Done! Look at the tutorials section, under Other Search Methods (Page not created yet) or @ Tutorials/Glider_Syntheses
Thanks Saka! Just one thing; I intentionally did not put a particular rle in lifeviewer because it was a hint and if it was in lifeviewer people would see it even if they didn't want the hint. So perhaps just include it as rle.

raiqamar769

Post by raiqamar769 » July 19th, 2017, 1:42 am

please someone give useful link on massive spam attack on the wiki, because still i can't understand their solution.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 7th, 2017, 6:17 am

Nathaniel -- could you be so kind and hand the trusted flag on the wiki to Calcyman?
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

Post by 2718281828 » August 8th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Hi,
I would like to be added to the trusted user list so that I can edit the Wiki.
Do I have to do something special to become trusted?

My user name in the LifeWiki is the same as in the forum, just the first 10 digits of e (without the comma): 2718281828

florian

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » August 14th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Can I please be added to the trusted list as well? My username is the same, "AForAmpere".
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 15th, 2017, 5:38 am

2718281828 wrote:Do I have to do something special to become trusted?
Nope, the only thing you'll have to do is have patience. Nathaniel's the only one who can set the trusted flag on accounts, and for various reasons he's too busy to do this regularly.

It's a bit unfortunate in that it keeps people from editing the wiki who shouldn't be kept from doing so, but it's how it is.

So for now -- just have patience, it'll be taken care of eventually. Alternatively, if you have specific edits you want to make, you can also post them on the forum. In fact I'll make a new thread for this, to keep this one from getting cluttered. ;)

EDIT: here's the new thread.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Nathaniel
Site Admin

Post by Nathaniel » August 15th, 2017, 10:55 am

I've now updated the "trusted" list so that it includes everyone who has requested in here.

GoldTiger -- you are already showing as "trusted" to me on the wiki. Is your username Goldtiger997 on the wiki? Are you getting any particular error message, or are editing controls just not appearing at all?

Edit: Also, other admins can now add users to the "trusted" list as well.

AforAmpere

Post by AforAmpere » August 15th, 2017, 11:03 am

Thank you!
I manage the 5S project, which collects all known spaceship speeds in Isotropic Non-totalistic rules. I also wrote EPE, a tool for searching in the INT rulespace.

Things to work on:
- Find (7,1)c/8 and 9c/10 ships in non-B0 INT.
- EPE improvements.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » August 15th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Nathaniel wrote:Edit: Also, other admins can now add users to the "trusted" list as well.
Excellent news. Thank you! This'll make everything so much easier. :)

wwei23

Re: Massive spam attacks on the wiki

Post by wwei23 » August 17th, 2017, 7:17 pm

gameoflifeboy wrote:Aaaaand now they're on the forums too.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2302

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2301

What a surprise. I thought we had successfully filtered out spambots. (After all, you need to know who discovered the Game of Life to start new pages.)

Maybe these are just especially smart spambots, or maybe they're being directly controlled by a person.
Information
The requested topic does not exist.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » August 17th, 2017, 11:21 pm

[ Apologies to everyone else who has to read this additional off-topic noise. This just seemed like a perfect case to write up as a public request for a change in behavior. Here's hoping this request will do some good --! ]
wwei23 wrote:
gameoflifeboy wrote:Aaaaand now they're on the forums too.
What a surprise. I thought we had successfully filtered out spambots.
Information
The requested topic does not exist.
Darn right the topic does not exist. It was deleted over a year ago because of being obvious spam.

Now, you could have edited that previous unnecessary post to add the "PoW" comment, which was also based on a post from last year. So it also most likely wasn't a very good idea to post it, either... but at least as an edit to the previous post it wouldn't have been twice as bad.

Instead you double-posted. The delay was long enough that people like me who get email notifications for this board might end up getting two separate notifications.

Obviously all this isn't really a very big deal, in the Big List of the World's Problems. On the other hand, it gets a little painful after a while when I check in hoping for a new interesting addition to a thread that I'm subscribed to... and it turns out to be another one of this kind of posting, usually from you, with no actual content -- or at least a very low signal-to-noise ratio.

"PoW" in this context is "Proof of Work". Try a simple search in the thread for "PoW". Kiran's earliest post starts with a mention of "Scrypt proof of work". You could have done this yourself instead of making every reader on the thread look at your question. And you arranged the question so that nobody can answer it without doing the extra work of doing the exact search that you should have done in the first place...!

Along similar lines, you just sent in another necropost with no new information in it. The exact same RLE that you just contributed was posted over eight years ago. That may be a record. But if it is, please don't try to break it. Please just stop the pointless necroposting!

Can I maybe convince you that this is not very polite behavior? Maybe you could make an effort to think for a moment about your audience before hitting the Post button. Try to have something to say in each post you write (outside of the Sandbox) that might be of general interest to the people who are paying attention to that particular thread.

This is an academic forum, not a chat or microblogging platform. Please be considerate and follow the rules a little more often -- again, outside of the Sandbox... but really, double-posting and necroposting are kind of discouraged even there.

Electro_blob

Post by Electro_blob » October 13th, 2017, 9:15 pm

I recently made a post about not being able to post anything. Now I understand why. Can you please add me to the trusted list?

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » October 14th, 2017, 4:21 am

Electro_blob wrote:I recently made a post about not being able to post anything. Now I understand why. Can you please add me to the trusted list?
Done!

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 14th, 2017, 10:19 am

Apple Bottom wrote:
Electro_blob wrote:I recently made a post about not being able to post anything. Now I understand why. Can you please add me to the trusted list?
Done!
A quick word of caution, though:

New terms very seldom get added to the LifeWiki successfully until people have been talking about them somewhere else for a year or two. A lot of non-notable patterns tend to get added and then eventually just have to be removed again, unfortunately -- the LifeWiki gets way too cluttered with enthusiastic but random additions otherwise.

A good way to establish priority for an idea is to post the relevant pattern somewhere on the forums, as Macbi has suggested, and get people talking about it and experimenting with it. There's a long tradition in the Conway's Life community of remembering the first discoverer of a new object or mechanism.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » October 14th, 2017, 2:25 pm

dvgrn wrote:the LifeWiki gets way too cluttered with enthusiastic but random additions
Oh yes, don't I ever agree with THAT one!

The LifeWiki should really be fairly conservative in terms of content, and contributors should be conservative in what they put on (and in) it. Well-established terms are fine, even obscure ones, but the LifeWiki is manifestly not the right place for establishing new terms. Unless and until something's caught on, it doesn't belong on the LifeWiki[1]. Same for patterns, rules, and pretty much anything and everything else that is on topic in principle for the LifeWiki in the first place.

1. Including in other articles, excluding on user (sub-)pages.

Electro_blob

Post by Electro_blob » October 15th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I will make sure to post my pattern in the forum first.

Marrow16

Post by Marrow16 » October 16th, 2017, 11:06 am

Hi,

Could I please be added as "trusted" so that I can edit the Wiki?

My wiki username is "Marrow16"

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » October 16th, 2017, 11:57 am

Marrow16 wrote:Could I please be added as "trusted" so that I can edit the Wiki?

My wiki username is "Marrow16"
Done!

M. I. Wright

Post by M. I. Wright » October 22nd, 2017, 7:06 pm

Hey - wiki name "Wright", may I be added to the trusted list?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » October 22nd, 2017, 7:10 pm

M. I. Wright wrote:Hey - wiki name "Wright", may I be added to the trusted list?
Right away, sir!
Write away, sir!

M. I. Wright

Post by M. I. Wright » October 22nd, 2017, 10:15 pm

dvgrn wrote: Right away, sir!
Write away, sir!
Gah, I've got nothing as punny for "dvgrn" nor "Dave Greene". But thank ya :)

gameoflifemaniac

Post by gameoflifemaniac » November 24th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Could I be added to the trusted list, please?
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Code: Select all

b4o25bo$o29bo$b3o3b3o2bob2o2bob2o2bo3bobo$4bobo3bob2o2bob2o2bobo3bobo$
4bobo3bobo5bo5bo3bobo$o3bobo3bobo5bo6b4o$b3o3b3o2bo5bo9bobo$24b4o!