Fat-finger mistakes

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Apple Bottom

Fat-finger mistakes

Post by Apple Bottom » September 1st, 2017, 2:34 pm

Oh look, it's my first sandbox thread.

Have you ever made any fat-finger mistakes while working with Life (or other CAs) and the associated tools? I recently did; I wanted to soup-search the 14-state Generations version of Life (B3/S23/G14), using apgluxe, and found (much to my surprise) that it was orders of magnitude slower than any of the less stateful variants, up to and including B3/S23/G13. I shrugged it off and attributed it to Life working in mysterious ways, but when I checked the results a few hours later I found I'd accidentally fat-fingered the compilation and searched B3/S23/G143 instead. No wonder that it was so sluggish, then!

On the plus side, Catagolue acquired two hauls of a rule it otherwise likely wouldn't have seen for a while.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

muzik

Re: Fat-finger mistakes

Post by muzik » September 1st, 2017, 2:42 pm

Well, said while wouldn't be way too long, since I was originally planning on eventually searching all B3/S23 multistate variations (not that such rules would hold many interesting patterns, I would assume).

On the topic of apgsearch, I've tried seRching a lot of rules with b9 and/or s9 in them accidentally.

Apple Bottom

Post by Apple Bottom » September 1st, 2017, 2:54 pm

muzik wrote:not that such rules would hold many interesting patterns, I would assume
You never know. I'll have to port over the rest of my apgmera 3.x patches to 4.x, especially the one that automatically quits after a specified amount of time, then this sort of search will be possible largely without any manual intervention.
If you speak, your speech must be better than your silence would have been. — Arabian proverb

Catagolue: Apple Bottom • Life Wiki: Apple Bottom • Twitter: @_AppleBottom_

Proud member of the Pattern Raiders!

fluffykitty

Post by fluffykitty » September 1st, 2017, 4:49 pm

muzik wrote:seRching

drc

Post by drc » September 1st, 2017, 4:53 pm

fluffykitty wrote:
muzik wrote:seRching
Haha, how iropnic of them to say that on this thread.