Game of Life Resources Not on the Internet
The following bibliography was extracted from the file readme.doc
in Alan Hensel's pattern distribution, and is placed here for your convenience.
Its initial form was a plain ascii text file, and was formated for HTML
by Thomas Morin.
- Berlekamp, Conway, and Guy: Winning Ways (for your Mathematical
Plays), Volume 2, (c)1982. ISBN 0-12-091152-3.
- Dewdney, A.K.: The Armchair Universe, (c)1988. ISBN 0-7167-1939-8
- Gardner, Martin: Wheels, Life, and Other Mathematical Amusements,
(c)1983. ISBN 0-7167-1589-9.
- Gutowitz, Howard: Cellular Automata: Theory and Experiment,
(c)1991. ISBN 0-262-57086-6.
William: The Recursive Universe, (c)1985. ISBN 0-688-03975-8.
- Preston, Duff: Modern Cellular Automata
- Sigmund, Karl: Games of Life
- Wolfram, Stephen: Theory and applications of cellular automata,
(c)1986. ISBN 9971-50-124-4 pbk.
- BYTE magazine: Sep 75, Oct 75, Dec 75, Jan 76, Dec 78,
Jan 79, Apr 79, Oct 80, Jul 81.
- Complex Systems: Bays, Carter: (various articles on 3-D
life) Apr 87, Dec 87, Dec 90, Feb 91, Oct 92.
- Recreational Computing: May/Jun 79.
- Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol. 55: Stephen Wolfram:
"Statistical Mechanics of Cellular Automata."
- Scientific American:
Oct 70, Nov 70, Jan 71, Feb 71, Mar 71, Apr 71, Nov 71, Jan 72, Dec 75,
Mar 84, May 85, Feb 87, Aug 88, Aug 89, Sep 89, Jan 90.
- "LifeLine: A Quarterly Newsletter for Enthusiasts of John Conway's
Game of Life", nos. 1-11, 1971-1973.
These issues are probably still available. Write to: Robert
Wainwright or see Welcome
to Paul's Page of Conway's Life Miscellany