A finite plane is a type of bounded Life universe that takes the form of an m × n rectangle. Unlike other topologies such as a torus, the edges are not joined together, and the outside cells are always treated as dead.
|(click above to open LifeViewer)|
- Top, Very Left: the traffic light predecessor evolves into a pulsar quadrant.
- Top, Middle Left: The queen bee shuttle's beehive is surpressed by the edge. The edge also allows one Bee of the twin bees shuttle to survive alone.
- Top, Middle Right: The century and pi-heptomino stablise into the stable bookend and house due to the absence of cells on the edge.
- Top, Very Right: When a glider hits the edge, it turns into a block. Near the edge, a block can cleanly eat a glider.
- Left: A B-heptomino becomes a spaceship on the edge with the support of other spaceships on the non-edge side.
- Bottom Left: The overweight spaceship can be supported by the edge.
- Bottom: Half of a eureka can be stabilised by the edge.
- Bottom Right: a LWSS turns into a glider, a MWSS turns into a semi-pulsar, and HWSS dies when hitting the edge.
- Right: Halves of many gutter-containing oscillators (and spaceships) (like the tumbler, 34p14 shuttle, Rich's p16 and 38P7.2) can be stabilised by the edge.