Did you know...
- ...that it is currently an open question as to if there exists a periodic pattern whose only predecessors are its own evolutionary sequence?
- ...that it can be proved reflectorless rotating oscillators exist in Life, although none have yet been found or constructed?
- ...that there are currently known elementary spaceships with speeds c/7 and c/10 orthogonal, but none with c/8 or c/9?
- ...that there are currently known elementary spaceships with speeds c/7 and c/12 diagonal, but none with c/8, c/9, c/10 or c/11?
- ...that while the speed limit for orthogonal spaceships in rules using the Moore neighbourhood is c orthogonal, spaceships in Larger than Life rules are capable of breaking this barrier?
- ...that without the use of adjustable glider loops, there are no known oscillators with periods 43, 49 or 53?
- ...that without the use of Herschel loops or adjustable glider loops, there are no known oscillators with periods 57, 59 or 61?
- ... that the largest interesting pattern constructed, the caterpillar, contains over 11 million cells?
- ... that the Gosper glider gun was the first pattern to be discovered that exhibits infinite growth?
- ... that the block-laying switch engine and the glider-producing switch engine (and various combinations of two switch engines) are the only infinitely-growing patterns that are known to have ever occurred naturally from an asymmetric random starting configuration?