Did you know...
- ...that the block-laying switch engine and the glider-producing switch engine are the only two infinitely-growing patterns that are known to have ever occurred naturally from a nonsymmetric random starting configuration?
- ...that oscillators are known that oscillate at all periods other than 19, 23, 34, 38 and 41?
- ...that the pentadecathlon and the blinker are the only known oscillators that are polyominos in more than one phase?
- ...that it is impossible for a period 3 oscillator to be a phoenix?
- ...that the methuselah with the longest known lifespan, 40514M, lasts for over 40,000 generations before stabilizing? The second-place holder, Fred, runs for over 35,000 ticks.
- ...that replicators with quadratic population growth are known to exist in Conway's Game of Life, but none have yet been found?
- ...that the first known period 37 and 51 oscillators were found in 2009?
- ...that a pattern whose population grows without bound but does not tend to infinity is known as a sawtooth?
- ...that there are over 6.5 million distinct strict still lifes with 24 or fewer cells?
- ...that some infinitely-growing patterns can be constructed with as few as three gliders?