A flotilla (plural flotillae) is a spaceship composed of a number of smaller interacting spaceships. Often one or more of these is not a true spaceship (e.g. an overweight spaceship) and could not survive without the support of the others; those ships are said to be escorted by the true ships.
In the following example, a long overweight spaceship is being escorted by two heavyweight escorts; most of the 10-bit spark that would make it unstable is suppressed by the HWSSes, except for two cells that dissipate harmlessly.
Standard spaceship flotillae
- 1 LWSS on LWSS (a pseudo-spaceship)
- 3 LWSS on MWSS
- 8 LWSS on HWSS (including 1 pseudo-spaceship)
- 5 MWSS on MWSS
- 15 MWSS on HWSS
- 10 HWSS on HWSS (including 1 pseudo-spaceship)
- Spaceship flotilla at the Life Lexicon
- The 47 two-spaceship flotillae at Mark D. Niemiec's Life Page