Agree with proposed deletion. It's true that it would be kind of useful to have a name for this particular still life, since it gets so much use in minimally welded Snark+syringe.
However, this case is a perfect example of why it's a terrible idea for one single person to go around making a lot of names up on their own. "Fourteen loop" isn't going to become the commonly-used name for this object, unless everyone decides to use the name just to prove me wrong now that I've said this... which seems very unlikely in this case: it's a 16-bit still life, not a 14-bit one. [EDIT: not sure what I was looking at when I counted 16 bits -- but see below.]
- Disagree with deletion. I feel as though this still life is small enough as to be notable, and is also natural as opposed to something manually created with 30 cells. However, I'd be fine with a new name being decided for it. - AwesoMan3000 (talk) 11:07, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- But... which still life are we actually talking about now? People would be maybe less likely to want to delete a new page about the Snark-weld-syringe still life, if the page made any kind of sense. For example, it might include an embedded viewer showing the Snark-weld-syringe in context. This page almost seems like it ought to be put out of its misery, and maybe re-created if someone really wants to take the time to do it carefully.
- Also, why is the pname for this object "13loop" -- where in Conway's name did that come from?
- In any case, if this page is really supposed to be about the probably-notable Snark-weld-syringe, that's a different object -- 15 cells, not either 14 or 13. Mark just has that one as "15.482", with a glider synthesis "known" but not actually listed. Might be a good idea to try and hunt down that synthesis, and then maybe make a new page. The apgcode is xs15_3lkia4z32, not that that is any help with making a standard name... the problem is that pnames are supposed to be just alphanumeric, but if you take out the underscore you get the very misleading "xs153lkia4z32", implying a 153-bit still life. Anyone have a decent solution for standard apgcode-based names? Dvgrn (talk) 19:54, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- I've amended the page to be xs15_3lkia4z32. You can get the synthesis straight from Catagolue: http://catagolue.appspot.com/js/glidersynth.html?xs15_3lkia4z32 Calcyman (talk) 17:05, 27 November 2018 (UTC)