Timeline of Life facts
|This article is a stub. You can help LifeWiki by expanding it.|
Conway's Game of Life is in its forties. This is a timeline of the discoveries of the game patterns and related software or inventions.
- John Horton Conway, inventor of the Game of Life.
- First oscillators of periods 2, 3, 4, 8, 14, 15 and 30 found : blinker, pulsar, pinwheel, figure eight, tumbler, pentadecathlon and queen bee shuttle.
- The first c/4 diagonal spaceship discovered by Richard Guy : the glider - the only known till 1999.
- The first c/2 spaceship to be found was the lightweight spaceship, by John Conway
- Lifeline, first Life newsletter edited and published by Robert Wainwright, March 1971
- The first known puffers that travelled at c/2 orthogonally, found in 1971
- The HashLife algorithm first described by Bill Gosper in the early 1980s
- Dean Hickerson creates the first oscillator search program in 1989
- The first non-monotonic spaceship, the 13-engine Cordership, in 1991
- The first c/5 orthogonal spaceship to be discovered was the snail, 1996
- The first true period 24 and 48 guns in June 1997.
- First oscillators of period 37, 51 found in 2009
- LifeWiki goes live — January 2009
- LifeWiki's 600 patterns milestone — June 2009
- The first elementary oblique spaceship, Sir Robin, is discovered in March 2018.