Any comments on this automata B13456/S5678?

For discussion of other cellular automata.
ntdsc

Any comments on this automata B13456/S5678?

Post by ntdsc » November 22nd, 2017, 12:23 pm

It's B13456/S5678 starting from large square of cells. You can see the other square form at an off angle shortly, and then there is a row of teeth or interlacing triangles that form continuously on its edges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Tjjt9HZ20

I wonder if I made a larger grid of those large cells, of this or some other rule to try to get a billiard ball computer elastic collision.

Also, on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL7kGMP03D8 you can see in light shade green an artifact at 0:10, of a column of light green squares, and it's operating on the edges of the automata. Maybe the automata itself is doing something to the programming, but it's consistent and doesn't change.

ntdsc

Re: Any comments on this automata B13456/S5678?

Post by ntdsc » November 25th, 2017, 11:45 am

I hope you look on the second link. It's definitely doing something quantum. It's not just an artifact. At 0:10 is a column of barely lit dark green squares. Then just on the edge of where the white and black squares are flickering, ie in the boundary between the black and the blocky automata itself, is the same dark green on the edge, and it look flowing like water. Also, shortly after, on the right side, is a row of teeth or consecutive triangles on the right of the automata. You have to look hard to see it. I'll try to recover the rule as it's on my dad's computer. You can see the design initially at the beginning. If you change the black background to lavender I believe the barely lit dark green would show in bright contrast. It's either the black background being lavender, or the white squares, I'll have to play around when I can get back to the computer.

As to why it's doing it, I know that when the automata zooms out, there are curvy "lines" flowing through the automata, and that is similar to the phase of a laser where all the computation is done in quantum experiments such as weyl semimetals. I don't know why it's showing up like that, and it's either because that's something that shows up with automata that have curvy lines like that, or there is some reflection in the monitor or how the monitor displays things. Either way, it looks like something quantum, and if can be done right, would probably become intelligent.

BlinkerSpawn

Post by BlinkerSpawn » November 25th, 2017, 2:56 pm

The CA is highly explosive and chaotic and very solid under certain conditions (as demonstrated in your first link).
The "dark green" you report is simply a JPG compression artifact seen in all videos made with that format; not some crazy self-interfering light phenomenon with your monitor (light doesn't work that way).
I don't really see anything else going on except for that cool striped effect from the first link.
LifeWiki: Like Wikipedia but with more spaceships. [citation needed]

ntdsc

Post by ntdsc » November 25th, 2017, 6:05 pm

If you look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NYXij37v_s
It's a shrinking automata. As the square changes shape, if you put two side by side, it looks like the Fredkin gate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M16zHR1 ... GZ&index=2

As they shrink they may cause holes. But like you say really the interesting thing in that second link above (in my original post) is the horizontal line. I'm wondering if just slightly changing the central shape would cause criss crossing lines to form. Then change the rule from the explosive to the shrinking automata above. That may form a gate. Then compress, and you may see interesting effects. I know that "compressed states" in physics, however bizarre, sometimes change things from regular conducting to superconducting ie, from classical to quantum. I don't think it would be too difficult to play around the original second link in my original post to create multiple criss crossing lines instead of a single line. To get it, the curly cue would have to bend back all the way to the center.

ie, First do my explosive automata to form multiple criss crossing lines. Then change to the shrinking automata. Then compress the video and watch. Also, I would change the color of either the background or the lit cells to lavender to see it better. Again, I'll have to recover both explosive and shrinking automata rules. They weren't complicated.

ntdsc

Post by ntdsc » December 18th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I'm not sure about that layout above, but in the rule B3/S12456, if you make a single diagonal row, ie diagonal row of blocks, not up down or left right, in that rule, and wait a few seconds before hitting play in Golly, then hit play, and compress the video of the automata (can just upload to youtube with Action video recorder), in the youtube video, you can see moving phantom blocks around the diagonal row even before hitting play. So you really don't have to use that rule, just lay a diagonal row, and see the moving blocks along that diagonal row. But it doesn't occur along columns or rows. I'm wondering why it occurs just for the diagonal rows. I assume it has something to do with the raster in the monitor. And it only happens when the video is uploaded to a video compression site like youtube or compressing it yourself. Also, that video I uploaded, cellular automata explosion, has a bowed in area, that is somewhat diagonal and phantom blocks move along it. I uploaded another one that was not bowed in, but bowed out, or missile shaped, and in that one the phantom blocks would shoot out like a missile away from the bowed out area. This is the one where it shoots out like missiles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jL9WCze9zo