Cells! - my game of life variation with some stohastic and colors :)

For discussion of other cellular automata.
Ponytale

Cells! - my game of life variation with some stohastic and colors :)

Post by Ponytale » October 6th, 2022, 12:23 am

Hello. A year ago I was bored and wrote just another gameof Life variant with the main idea was to find the rules that allow the colony be active (immortal) while not spreading too fast or take all the cells of the field. I wanted something like... cool screensaver maybe?

Anyway, that's what I came into. Here is the game's repositary with all the source code (for C++ Builder 10.4), the Win32 .exe file, and some screenshots. Try to switch the Effect/Alt checkboxes and the corresponding trackbar to see another colour schemes, fullscreen mode, etc. UnRar the patterns archive with 500+ different patterns, which works in the Cells! rules (most of them works in B3/S23 rule also):

https://github.com/P0nytale/Cells

From readme.md:

The main difference from the original B3/S23 rule is that when all three colors (arranged in two concurrent sets):
1. Orange/Red/Yellow and
2. Cyan/Black/Green
are met in the Moore's neighborhood of the empty cell: the Magenta (for Set 1) or Purple (for Set 2) cell is born.
Otherwise all four colors of one set acts as plain black cells in the original Conway's game of life. The color of the newborn, previously empty cell is determined by the plain superiority of the neighborhood's cells colors.
The Magenta/Purple cells are also act like the normal active cells except for the one new rule:
- Variant 1 (When when gr1/gr2 DryLife checkbox is unchecked): if there are 6 or 7 Magenta/Purple cells respectivaly in the Moore's neighborhood of the cell - the next turn it become one of three color of her Set, determined by the random. This is Conway's B3/S23 variation of the game.
- Variant 2 (When when gr1/gr2 DryLife checkbox is checked): if there are 7 living cells in the Moore's neighborhood and none are Magenta/Purple - the next turn it become one of three color of her Set, determined by the random. This is DryLife B37/S23 variation of the game.
This new rules leads to almost eternal, living population, starting from the very small populations (of course, random-driven mechanics), and not growing very fast, for the other side.
Also notice that Set 1 and Set 2 are just concurrenting for the area and explodees when it meets each other in the one cell neighborhood.

Feel free to use the source code of this game as you wish as long as you include the copyright notice in all copies or substantial portions of the Software (MIT License).

I will be glad to discuss this new rules and answer your questions.

Regards, Ponytale.