Challenges

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 501
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm

Re: Challenges

Post by confocaloid » November 6th, 2022, 12:02 pm

breaker's glider gun wrote:
November 6th, 2022, 11:39 am
Challenge:
in a non-alternating, non-B0 rule, find a spaceship/oscillator that has at least 1 generation of no birth and no death AT THE SAME TIME.
(Hint:this must be a generations rule.)
I do not have a working example, but there might be a 3-state modification of Life where the pi-heptomino would be a spaceship with these three consecutive phases:

Code: Select all

x = 24, y = 5, rule = nameless_rule
2B8.2B8.2B$B.A7.B.B7.B.B$2.B9.B9.BA$B.A7.B.B7.B.B$2B8.2B8.2B!

@RULE nameless_rule
@TABLE
n_states:3
neighborhood:Moore
symmetries:permute
Unlikely events happen.
User:Confocal/R (incomplete)

User avatar
toroidalet
Posts: 1407
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm
Location: My computer
Contact:

Re: Challenges

Post by toroidalet » November 6th, 2022, 2:08 pm

You can find a few here and here. There's also one on the interesting replicators thread that I don't care to find.
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

User avatar
breaker's glider gun
Posts: 530
Joined: May 23rd, 2021, 10:26 am
Location: the inside of a stuffed anaconda or maybe [click to not expand]

Re: Challenges

Post by breaker's glider gun » November 9th, 2022, 6:12 pm

adjusted challenge: at DIFFERENT points!
| >;
v
Last edited by breaker's glider gun on November 9th, 2022, 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:?: :?: . . . :!:

User avatar
squareroot12621
Posts: 266
Joined: March 23rd, 2022, 4:53 pm

Re: Challenges

Post by squareroot12621 » November 9th, 2022, 7:15 pm

breaker's glider gun wrote:
November 9th, 2022, 6:12 pm
adjusted challenge: at DIFFERENT points!
B3/S23 beacon.
Generation 0 % 2: No birth.
Generation 1 % 2: No death.

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
2o$o$3bo$2b2o!
— END —

Code: Select all

x = 14, y = 14, rule = Life
6b2o$5bo2bo$4bob2obo$3bobo2bobo$2bo2bo2bo2bo$bob2ob2ob2obo$obo2bo2bo2b
obo$obo2bo2bo2bobo$bob2ob2ob2obo$2bo2bo2bo2bo$3bobo2bobo$4bob2obo$5bo
2bo$6b2o! [[ THEME Mono STARS ]]

User avatar
toroidalet
Posts: 1407
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm
Location: My computer
Contact:

Re: Challenges

Post by toroidalet » November 9th, 2022, 9:52 pm

This one has no birth or death in 3 separate intervals:

Code: Select all

x = 6, y = 3, rule = 1c23-y4c5e6c/34e6in/15
.A.2A$A.AMLA$.A.2A!
5 times (EDIT: nope, only 3. If you increase the generations to 16, it has 4, and at 28 it has 5):

Code: Select all

x = 23, y = 16, rule = 1c23-ny5e6c/34e6i/15
2.A17.A$.ABA15.ABA$.ABA15.ABA$11.A$10.ABA$.A.A6.ABA6.A.A$2.A17.A2$10.
A.A$11.A2$.A.A15.A.A$A3.A13.A3.A2$10.A.A$9.A3.A!
Both of these rules are from here (The first one is from "Another related rule which isn't explosive"/"But what a disappointment when you find it is nonetheless explosive" and the second is corderized from "A related rule")
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

Citation needed
Posts: 152
Joined: April 1st, 2021, 1:03 am

Re: Challenges

Post by Citation needed » November 10th, 2022, 3:41 am

ColorfulGalaxy found that the nine distinct 3-cell Garden of Eden patterns (seen as 1-cell-high prisms) in Life without Death rule can fit into a 3x3x3 cube. (citation needed)

Code: Select all

x rule = LifeColorful
ADA$
BDC$
BDC$
$
E2F$
F2G$
EGE$
$
HAC$
BIH$
IHI$!

User avatar
GUYTU6J
Posts: 2027
Joined: August 5th, 2016, 10:27 am
Location: 拆哪!I repeat, CHINA! (a.k.a. 种花家)
Contact:

Re: Challenges

Post by GUYTU6J » November 15th, 2022, 6:55 am

Here is a period-1022 Margolus oscillator rendered in state 9 of Super mode.

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 35, rule = B2c/SSuper
17.J$16.J.J$15.J.J.J$14.J.J.J.J$13.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.J.J.J.J$11.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$9.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$
7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J$4.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$2.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J.J$2.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
$4.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$9.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$11.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.J.J.J.J$13.J.
J.J.J.J$14.J.J.J.J$15.J.J.J$16.J.J$17.J!
Pick a phase of this oscillator, set generation to 0, and change one (1) state-9 cell to state 1. The challenge is to maximize time duration with both type of history/off-trail cells present. Consider extinction of state-2 cells and extinction of state-10 cells separately.

Code: Select all

x = 60, y = 29, rule = B2-a/S12
8bo40bo$8bo38bobo$10b2o35bobo$7b3o37bo4$55bo$22b3o30b2o$3o4bobo43bo$
23b3o7bo19b2o$b3o4bo21b2obo6b2o$34bo$32bo18bo$32bo18bo5bo$57bo$16b3o
32bo$14b2o40bob2o$17bo17b2o19bo$17bo18bo$33b2o$34bo4$42bo$40bobo$40bob
o$40bo!

User avatar
confocaloid
Posts: 501
Joined: February 8th, 2022, 3:15 pm

Re: Challenges

Post by confocaloid » November 15th, 2022, 8:33 pm

State 10 can disappear at T = 55:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 35, rule = B2c/SSuper
17.J$16.J.J$15.J.J.J$14.J.J.J.J$13.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.J.J.J.J$11.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$9.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$
7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J$4.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$2.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$.A.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I$J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I.I$2.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
$4.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$9.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$11.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.J.J.J.J$13.J.
J.J.J.J$14.J.J.J.J$15.J.J.J$16.J.J$17.J!
State 2 can disappear at T = 28:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 35, rule = B2c/SSuper
17.J$16.J.J$15.I.A.I$14.J.J.J.J$13.J.I.I.I.J$12.J.J.J.J.J.J$11.J.J.I.
I.I.J.J$10.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$9.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J$8.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$
7.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J$6.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J
.J.J.J.J$4.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.J.
J$2.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.J.
J.J$2.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.J.J
$4.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$7.J.J.J.J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J$8.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$9.J.J.J
.I.I.I.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$11.J.J.I.I.I.J.J$12.J.J.J.J.J.J$13.J.
I.I.I.J$14.J.J.J.J$15.I.I.I$16.J.J$17.J!
Unlikely events happen.
User:Confocal/R (incomplete)

User avatar
GUYTU6J
Posts: 2027
Joined: August 5th, 2016, 10:27 am
Location: 拆哪!I repeat, CHINA! (a.k.a. 种花家)
Contact:

Re: Challenges

Post by GUYTU6J » November 15th, 2022, 10:24 pm

State 10 disappears at generation 76:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 35, rule = B2c/SSuper
17.J$16.I.I$15.J.J.J$14.J.I.I.J$13.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.I.I.J.J$11.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J$9.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I$
7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J$4.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$2.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.I$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.A.J$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J.J$2.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.I$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
$4.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.I.I.I.
I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J$7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I$9.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J$11.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.I.I.J.J$13.J.
J.J.J.J$14.J.I.I.J$15.J.J.J$16.I.I$17.J!
The pattern has a one-cell-thick phase at T=287.

Code: Select all

x = 60, y = 29, rule = B2-a/S12
8bo40bo$8bo38bobo$10b2o35bobo$7b3o37bo4$55bo$22b3o30b2o$3o4bobo43bo$
23b3o7bo19b2o$b3o4bo21b2obo6b2o$34bo$32bo18bo$32bo18bo5bo$57bo$16b3o
32bo$14b2o40bob2o$17bo17b2o19bo$17bo18bo$33b2o$34bo4$42bo$40bobo$40bob
o$40bo!

User avatar
breaker's glider gun
Posts: 530
Joined: May 23rd, 2021, 10:26 am
Location: the inside of a stuffed anaconda or maybe [click to not expand]

Re: Challenges

Post by breaker's glider gun » November 21st, 2022, 5:38 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 10:24 pm
State 10 disappears at generation 76:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 35, rule = B2c/SSuper
17.J$16.I.I$15.J.J.J$14.J.I.I.J$13.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.I.I.J.J$11.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J$9.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I$
7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J$4.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$2.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.I$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.A.J$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J.J$2.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.I$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
$4.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.I.I.I.
I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J$7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I$9.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J$11.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.I.I.J.J$13.J.
J.J.J.J$14.J.I.I.J$15.J.J.J$16.I.I$17.J!
Cool! state 9 dies at 67.
|
V
Last edited by breaker's glider gun on November 21st, 2022, 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:?: :?: . . . :!:

User avatar
toroidalet
Posts: 1407
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm
Location: My computer
Contact:

Re: Challenges

Post by toroidalet » November 21st, 2022, 5:41 pm

breaker's glider gun wrote:
November 21st, 2022, 5:38 pm
GUYTU6J wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 10:24 pm
State 10 disappears at generation 76:

Code: Select all

x = 35, y = 35, rule = B2c/SSuper
17.J$16.I.I$15.J.J.J$14.J.I.I.J$13.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.I.I.J.J$11.J.J.J.
J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J$9.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I$
7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J$4.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$2.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.I$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J$J.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.A.J$.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.
J.J$2.I.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J.J.I.I.I$3.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J
$4.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J.J$5.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$6.J.I.I.I.
I.J.J.I.I.I.I.J$7.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$8.I.I.I.I.J.J.I.I.I.I$9.J.J.J
.J.J.J.J.J.J$10.J.J.J.I.I.J.J.J$11.J.J.J.J.J.J.J$12.J.J.I.I.J.J$13.J.
J.J.J.J$14.J.I.I.J$15.J.J.J$16.I.I$17.J!
No, I think you flipped the number around. It's 67.
No, state 10 is the dead history cell. One survives at the far left corner until 74, and another just a bit to the right is extinguished in generation 76.
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

User avatar
pzq_alex
Posts: 677
Joined: May 1st, 2021, 9:00 pm
Location: tell me if you know

Re: Challenges

Post by pzq_alex » January 14th, 2023, 9:33 am

Find a non-rock catalysis for this still life:

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 8, rule = B3/S23
2b2o$bob3o$o5bo$2ob3o$bobo$bo2b2o$2b2o2bo$5b2o!
救救kench
Support LeapLife, Glimmering Garden, and B3-jknr4ity5ij6i7c8/S23-a4city6ac7c!

User avatar
hotcrystal0
Posts: 903
Joined: July 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm
Location: United States

Re: Challenges

Post by hotcrystal0 » January 24th, 2023, 8:32 pm

Hdjensofjfnen wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 12:44 pm
Saka wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 12:03 am
EvinZL wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Related to self-describing pattern: make a self describing apgcode. "xp0_nogliders" works but its kind of cheating
Does xp0_blinker work?
I didn't find this, I remembered this from another thread, but I forgot where...
After xp0_blinker, there are no more apgcodes in which a stable object's name yields the original object, let alone yield it cleanly. I did this a while ago and got to xp0_cismirroredrbee before giving up.
how about xp0_justablock?

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!

User avatar
toroidalet
Posts: 1407
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 1:48 pm
Location: My computer
Contact:

Re: Challenges

Post by toroidalet » January 25th, 2023, 12:35 am

Hdjensofjfnen wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 12:44 pm
Saka wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 12:03 am
EvinZL wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Related to self-describing pattern: make a self describing apgcode. "xp0_nogliders" works but its kind of cheating
Does xp0_blinker work?
I didn't find this, I remembered this from another thread, but I forgot where...
After xp0_blinker, there are no more apgcodes in which a stable object's name yields the original object, let alone yield it cleanly. I did this a while ago and got to xp0_cismirroredrbee before giving up.
You didn't look long enough. While this pattern does not evolve into the still life it describes, it should at least show that there is a still life which is produced by the apgcode of its English name and give you some idea of how to find one.
Any sufficiently advanced software is indistinguishable from malice.

User avatar
Hdjensofjfnen
Posts: 1726
Joined: March 15th, 2016, 6:41 pm
Location: r cis θ

Re: Challenges

Post by Hdjensofjfnen » Today, 1:01 am

toroidalet wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 12:35 am
You didn't look long enough. While this pattern does not evolve into the still life it describes, it should at least show that there is a still life which is produced by the apgcode of its English name and give you some idea of how to find one.
I was searching for trivial examples at the time. Rather than pulling up a three-year-old post to criticize my methodology, it might be more productive to try to construct such a still life yourself.

Code: Select all

x = 5, y = 9, rule = B3-jqr/S01c2-in3
3bo$4bo$o2bo$2o2$2o$o2bo$4bo$3bo!

Code: Select all

x = 7, y = 5, rule = B3/S2-i3-y4i
4b3o$6bo$o3b3o$2o$bo!

Post Reply