Introductions

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
wirehead

Re: Introductions

Post by wirehead » April 30th, 2024, 8:57 pm

Thatonenerd wrote:
April 30th, 2024, 6:02 pm
Hi!
Hello to you, and welcome to the forums!!

Patterns are usually posted by copying the RLE of the pattern, and pasting it in between BBCode "code" tags (hit the quote button on my post to see how it is formatted). For example, here's a glider, the icon of this site:

Code: Select all

x = 3, y = 3, rule = Life
bo$2bo$3o!
To copy the RLE of a pattern, click the "show in viewer" link on the above box to launch LifeViewer. Then draw your pattern, select it, and press Ctrl+C (not Command+C, if you're on a Mac).

If you're going to be doing serious work with cellular automata, I highly recommend getting Golly if you don't have it already. It can run enormous patterns that LifeViewer can't handle, often with a speedup in the thousands or millions (even billions if it works properly). The process for getting a RLE is the same -- select the patten and hit Ctrl+C. (Except that in Golly you can rebind the 'copy' action to whatever keyboard shortcut you prefer, and IIRC the default on Mac is the familiar Command+C.)

Also, just a word of warning: Oscillators, especially in Star Wars, are relatively common and often useless, so they aren't cataloged. Interesting patterns typically do one of three things: fill a "hole" in existing search efforts (such as the first p19 oscillator, Riley's p19), prove something (such as Ilkka Törmä and Ville Salo's solution to the unique father problem), or do something extremely interesting (such as _zM's computer). If you post the oscillator you found, don't be surprised if you end up being the butt of another "i found a new still life guys!!" joke.
Langton's ant: Can't play the drums, can be taught.

Thatonenerd

Post by Thatonenerd » May 1st, 2024, 7:46 pm

Thank you for the info also I do have golly also do you have any tips for an aspiring pattern-finder?

I’m asking everyone, not just wirehead

May13

Post by May13 » May 12th, 2024, 10:33 pm

Hello.
My name is Dmitry Maitak.
My favourite subjects are informatics and mathematics. My hobbies are playing chess, playing the piano, solving variations of the Rubik's cube (11x11x11, Petaminx, Sudoku cube).
I became interested in cellular automata in 2020. I remember trying to manually find new spaceships in B3/S35, like these:

x = 71, y = 15, rule = B3/S35
bo9bo9bo9bo9bo7bo11bo7bo$3o7b3o7b3o7b3o7b3o5b3o9b3o5b3o$obo7bobo7bobo
7bobo7bobo5bobo9bobo5bobo$obo7bobo7bobo6bo3bo5bo3bo3bo3bo11bo3bo$b3o7b
3o7b3o6bobo7bobo5bobo12bo3bo$bo9bo9bo8bobo7bobo5bobo13b3o$bo9bo9bo6bo
5bo5bo3bobo5bo12bo$2bo9bo9bo7bo3bo9bobo3bo14bo$o9bo9bo11bo11bobo$o9bo
9bo21bo3bo$o9bo9bo21bo$o9bo3bo5bo23bo$2bo7bo9bo3bo$12bo7bo$22bo!
In 3-4 years I made several important discoveries (c/6 orthogonal technology, Stag beetle, ShipWorld, (2,1)c/4 and 4c/9 in OTCA, still life syntheses), and I plan to continue my research on CA.
I'm about to go to university to study informatics.
The latest version of hex-gliders.db have 668 gliders from OT hexagonal rules. Let's find more!
The latest version of new-gliders.db (28795 gliders): here
My scripts: new-glider.py v0.2, nbsearch2a.py, collector.py v0.3

tommyaweosme

Post by tommyaweosme » May 26th, 2024, 2:19 pm

another post on my way to reply to every sandbox post on the first page (just to fling me to 500 posts)

welcome to the forums! :D
my sugar glider:
* wants you to stop reporting my posts
* finds reactions in squishmellows
* noclips through blocks

pifricted

Post by pifricted » July 10th, 2024, 9:54 am

Hi,I'm pifricted (Also,yoou can call me pi ) ,an ative user in forum.

In 2023 winter, i knew there is "a wiki for CGoL", and viewed many pages.In May,2024,I had a account.Then i posted my frist rule.

(But i don't find a new pattern in Life yet.)

WhiteHawk

Post by WhiteHawk » July 10th, 2024, 5:41 pm

Hello Life Enthusiasts! I am excited to be part of the discussion after several months of observing (I am not sure how long, but it's been over a year since I was around for the discovery of P19 and P41).

I really enjoy seeing some of the discussions here, and hope to be able to contribute more once I learn more coding languages and how to use search programs (I am an aspiring Computer Science minor, not official yet).
Until then, I suppose I will remain mostly in the realm of Other Cellular Automota, where discoveries can be made more easily, or in the Sandbox having fun with CA.

EDIT: Below is a test pattern for posting. It should show a blinker. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
$b3o!

tommyaweosme

Post by tommyaweosme » July 10th, 2024, 5:52 pm

welcome to the forums!

pls read these 9 tips to succdeed in forumination

1. you dont need correct capitalization here

2. use [code][/code] tags for patterns

3. bbcode :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :wink: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen:

4. plsplsplsplspls dont make pointless posts okthx

5. NO SWEARING whatever you do DONT DO IT

6. dont make 1000 posts in 6 months. daz crazy (only i had the excuse to do it)

7. learn catalysts. just do it Tutorial/Catalysts

8. we have a wiki too. but dont spam your userpage.

9. yay you read my 9 tips :D :D :D :D :D
my sugar glider:
* wants you to stop reporting my posts
* finds reactions in squishmellows
* noclips through blocks

b-engine

Post by b-engine » July 10th, 2024, 6:07 pm

WhiteHawk wrote:
July 10th, 2024, 5:41 pm
EDIT: Below is a test pattern for posting. It should show a blinker. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

x = 5, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
$b3o!
Use pattern or code tags instead (they're exactly same).
The pattern button is at the right of right of LV button. Click that to summon pattern tags.
You can edit your post by clicking the pencil button at top-right corner.
b-rules100th post: 18 November 2023 1000th post: 8 March 2024 10000th post:

Drelectron8

Post by Drelectron8 » July 11th, 2024, 7:16 am

Hey everyone. My real name is Rayyan (Pronounced "Ryan") and I came to the forums as another random user. As of this post I am 13. I live in Singapore.

I started to gain interest when I found out about this online. I used to fathom if I could one day, be very successful in making a difference, hence my search for finding all sorts of patters, spaceships, still life ect. You know, when I try and explain these sorts of things to other people, they don't really understand what this "Cellular Automata" is.

But I know that all of you have found this. Don't die thinking you did nothing your whole life. Just remember that you made a difference, not in the sense of an impact, but on knowledge.

Thank you.

x = 4, y = 4, rule = B01356/S012345
ob2o$2obo2$obo!
#C [[ THEME Book AUTOFIT LAYERS 5 DEPTH 0.50 ]]
OCA:Wickstretcher And The Parasites← Check this cool rule out!

Wickstretcher And The Parasites forums. ← Check the forums as well!