How you visualise patterns

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Rhombic

How you visualise patterns

Post by Rhombic » June 27th, 2016, 2:20 pm

People tend to perceive things in different ways. After having experience with GoL, I am pretty confident that most of us see gliders as "that small thing that darts out of things". Blinkers will usually be seen as dull and uninteresting, especially when in traffic lights (oh, what a surprise...); however, I am pretty sure that people will see some differently:

For me, a Herschel is a rugby player. That seems odd, right? Well, it just rapidly moves somewhere, sort of orthogonally, and then passes the ball [the glider(s)], as in rugby, backwards! I can't help but think of that like that.

Again, for me, the pi-heptomino looks like a cauliflower. Actually, more like Romanesco broccoli. It is like one of those fractal bits of the vegetable. Also Mandelbrot, somewhat.
SoL : FreeElectronics : DeadlyEnemies : 6a-ite : Rule X3VI
what is “sesame oil”?

muzik

Re: How you visualise patterns

Post by muzik » June 27th, 2016, 2:28 pm

The weighted spaceships are actually ducks.

Code: Select all

x = 26, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
b2o7b2o8b2o$2ob2o4b2ob3o4b2ob4o$b4o5b5o5b6o$2b2o7b3o7b4o!
Seeing the resemblance here isn't hard.

Also, this resemblance:

Code: Select all

x = 12, y = 4, rule = B3/S23
8bo$bo5bo$o6bo3bo$3o4b4o!
Guess there's some truth behind "featherweight spaceship"
Bored of using the Moore neighbourhood for everything? Introducing the Range-2 von Neumann isotropic non-totalistic rulespace!