Leaving

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Hunting

Leaving

Post by Hunting » April 1st, 2021, 8:46 am

Goodbye. IDK how will the forum react to this. Happy, maybe? Even if I don't see any significant number of LeapLife advertising. Or maybe moderators will lock this thread because it contributes nothing to CA or the community.

I did not know one day I'll leave the forums, when I started rulegolfing. I did not know one day I'll leave the forums, when I created LeapLife. I did not know one day I'll leave the forums, when I was adjusting the labels of the LeapLife timeline pattern. This forum has grown up with me, but it's not a hard decision to leave. It's harder to stay here.

I wasted my whole year to develop LeapLife whenever I get a chance, as if OCA DOTY 2020 is already given to LeapLife. I thought to myself, "there's no other project with effort comparable to that of LeapLife! How could I lose?" But I lost miserably. No, I'm not blaming people here for not voting for LeapLife. I understand everyone have their comfort zone. I believe #01 is an interesting project as well, but I also did not vote for it because I have to send 20 PMs to dvgrn before I could understand it.

LeapLife is not even my rule, it's just a completely random non-explosive rule I got from the automatically-generated 2-from-life list. It also seems to be the local minimum, by the lack of natural high-period oscillators & natural linear growths & common growth mechanisms, which many of its relatives have. What I wanted to demonstrate is, B3/S23 have no inherent advantage - it's just people are exploring it more and it is alive for longer, and if more people are exploring any other random rule and any other random rule is alive for longer, they will appear to be more interesting or developed. (The "LeapLife is good" thread was from the same perspective, and another reason I created it is I was trying to write a new intro that goes "LeapLife is a completely random close life variant. Well, it was before 2020. But because people randomly decided to investigate it, it was found to have the following properties: ...")

The sandbox is getting worse. First BokaBB came to pollute (? apologize for being rude if this is considered rude but I've seen this claim in various places) the sandbox, then it becomes moderated which is even worse. No reason to stay here anymore.

This is supposed to be sent a week ago, but I do not have access to the computer. Was gonna say Vote for LeapLife (in a better way ofc) but no I don't want my last post to be ranted forever. I really hope people can care about the year of effort more though.

EDIT: I'd like to admit something JP21 tried to make me admit many times, as well.

If you feel sad when you see this, don't miss me, I don't plan to be missed as well. Just respect all hard works and not mark them overrated, not even specifically for LeapLife.

@GUYTU6J: It's not that the contest matters. It's that I feel people ignoring hard works is a sign of the community worsening, similar to how moderated sandbox is a sign of the community worsening.

NOTE: SIMILAR TO THE REAL LOAFER SOUP, THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE. THIS ACCOUNT WILL NO LONGER BE (MUCH) ACTIVE FROM NOW ON.
Last edited by Hunting on April 2nd, 2021, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

GUYTU6J

Re: Leaving

Post by GUYTU6J » April 1st, 2021, 10:15 am

Hunting wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 8:46 am
I wasted my whole year to develop LeapLife whenever I get a chance, as if OCA DOTY 2020 is already given to LeapLife. I thought to myself, "there's no other project with effort comparable to that of LeapLife! How could I lose?" But I lost miserably. No, I'm not blaming people here for not voting for LeapLife. ...
If I understand it right, you are going to realize my signature in LeapLife because of being defeated in some contest?
LeapLife is not even my rule, it's just a completely random non-explosive rule I got from the automatically-generated 2-from-life list.
But you said,
Hunting wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 12:15 am
Also, one thing I always wanted to point out is a rule's creator should not own a rule. People who explored it should.

Schiaparelliorbust

Post by Schiaparelliorbust » April 1st, 2021, 10:39 am

Hunting wrote:
Goodbye. IDK how will the forum react to this. Happy, maybe? Even if I don't see any significant number of LeapLife advertising. Or maybe moderators will lock this thread because it contributes nothing to CA or the community.
Well I'm sad to hear this.
Hunting wrote:
I wasted my whole year to develop LeapLife whenever I get a chance, as if OCA DOTY 2020 is already given to LeapLife. I thought to myself, "there's no other project with effort comparable to that of LeapLife! How could I lose?" But I lost miserably. No, I'm not blaming people here for not voting for LeapLife. I understand everyone have their comfort zone. I believe #01 is an interesting project as well, but I also did not vote for it because I have to send 20 PMs to dvgrn before I could understand it.
I don't think LeapLife is a waste at all. As you've said many times before that Leaplife is meant to emulate the early development of CGoL, and that on its own makes it interesting.
Hunting wrote:
The sandbox is getting worse. First BokaBB came to pollute (? apologize for being rude if this is considered rude but I've seen this claim in various places) the sandbox, then it becomes moderated which is even worse. No reason to stay here anymore.
I agree that pre-BokaBB polluted Sandbox was much better, and I don't like it being moderated to this extent, but I think the Sandbox is still worthwhile, albeit less than it used to be. I would like random posts to reopen too.
Last edited by Schiaparelliorbust on April 2nd, 2021, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunting's language (though he doesn't want me to call it that)
Board And Card Games
Colorised CA
Alien Biosphere

{censored}

Post by {censored} » April 1st, 2021, 10:49 am

I do not believe you. If you posted this on some other day maybe I would believe.
Hello!I am {censored}. I like doing {censored},{censored} and sometimes also {censored}. I live in {censored}.
Every day things are heating up more and more.
We must fight for the future of The Sandbox together!

Also,{censored}.

Dylan Chen

Post by Dylan Chen » April 2nd, 2021, 5:22 am

Why leaving?
LeapLife is marvelous. Check this promoting video made by me.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1gb4y197J5
Tools should not be the limit.
Whether your obstacle is a script, an stdin, or Linux environment computing resouces.
check New rules thread for help.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » April 2nd, 2021, 8:28 am

See you soon. Hope you will come back!

I’ll probably not be active in the sandbox since I think it is even worse than the BokaBB-ed sandbox.

Agin, no offense, although {censored} Is better than BokaBB, but I will suggest you guys better not make sandbox red whenever I wake up.
Lol

I will keep hunting ‘active’ in catagolue, I guess?

I also dislike things like this
MathAndCode wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 2:00 pm
cgoler2 wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 10:19 am
Beehive + 2 fishhooks + pi = 4 blocks:
That pseudo still life can already be constructed with four gliders.

Code: Select all

x = 11, y = 11, rule = B3/S23
2bo5bo$obo5bobo$b2o5b2o6$b2o5b2o$obo5bobo$2bo5bo!
Also, if you're trying to do what I think that you're trying to do, I recommend that you look at the conduits tutorial.
a useless pattern not worth of posting in sandbox and some advertising that is totally unrelated and even a bit ridiculous. :?:
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

YYDH

Post by YYDH » April 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am

I'm sorry to hear that.You're nice and do make contributions to the forums.
If you are in trouble,please let us know.I'll miss you.

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » April 2nd, 2021, 11:30 am

yujh wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 8:28 am
a useless pattern not worth of posting in sandbox and some advertising that is totally unrelated and even a bit ridiculous. :?:
cgoler2 attempted to use fishhooks incorrectly. I was trying to fix that.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » April 2nd, 2021, 7:05 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 11:30 am
yujh wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 8:28 am
cgoler2 attempted to use fishhooks incorrectly. I was trying to fix that.
I'm sorry not to stop here, but why does fishook mean conduits?
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » April 2nd, 2021, 10:32 pm

yujh wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 7:05 pm
I'm sorry not to stop here, but why does fishook mean conduits?
They are commonly used in conduits.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 7th, 2021, 5:36 am

Given a signature saying "Don't like the community, won't talk. Not alt of FWKnightship." how possibly could the new user FWCamelship be an alt of Hunting?
---
Hunting wrote:
@GUYTU6J: It's not that the contest matters. It's that I feel people ignoring hard works is a sign of the community worsening...
Then I had to admit that I was one of the ignoring group of people. You can see that I hardly contributed to the rule later, and I once even made a unconstructive post commenting on the 2-transition-from-life rulespace under temporary personal depression (If you see this, don't search for it). So — apologies.

Also I'd like to see how others that did contribute like dvgrn and mniemiec and FWKnightship would say.