the book 'Game of Life Cellular Automata' - translation need

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Dylan Chen

the book 'Game of Life Cellular Automata' - translation need

Post by Dylan Chen » April 3rd, 2021, 9:32 am

https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/ ... 4996-217-9

It's a terrific book, I haven't knew the existance of it untill the recommandation of @ hkoenig

Anyone would join me to translate it (at least some chapter) in to other languages?
Tools should not be the limit.
Whether your obstacle is a script, an stdin, or Linux environment computing resouces.
check New rules thread for help.

GUYTU6J

Re: the book 'Game of Life Cellular Automata' - translation need

Post by GUYTU6J » April 3rd, 2021, 9:36 am

Dylan Chen wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 9:32 am
Anyone would join me to translate it (at least some chapter) in to other languages?
I guess by "other language" you mean Chinese first. Well, we have lots of translation work to do... Is there any particular reason why the book (instead of more up-to-date resources like Life Lexicon and LifeWiki articles) is chosen at the beginning?

Dylan Chen

Post by Dylan Chen » April 3rd, 2021, 10:01 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 9:36 am
more up-to-date resources like Life Lexicon and LifeWiki articles
where could I found the 'to-do-list', could you list them in your wiki user page?
Whether your obstacle is a script, an stdin, or Linux environment computing resouces.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 3rd, 2021, 10:13 am

Dylan Chen wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 10:01 am
GUYTU6J wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 9:36 am
more up-to-date resources like Life Lexicon and LifeWiki articles
Where could I found the 'to-do-list', could you list them in your wiki user page?
There is really no such list. If there used to be some plan, I would go through and compile a list of translated terms at User:GUYTU6J/Proposed Chinese translations, and then focus on completing the translation of either Life Lexicon, Release 29 (2018 July 2) (provided that no new versions are coming along currently) (not LifeWiki, now that I've thought a little, as articles within are constantly changing and so not suitable) or the rumoured Game of Life textbook (details can be found here).

Dylan Chen

Post by Dylan Chen » April 3rd, 2021, 10:22 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 10:13 am
Lexicon, Release 29 (2018 July 2)[/url] (provided that no new versions are coming along currently) (not LifeWiki, now that I've thought a little, as articles within are constantly changing and so not suitable) or the rumoured Game of Life textbook (details can be found here).
tks, I'll try that.

The book I referred is the 40th anniversary book, it contains some first-hand history about 19070± Life and several academic questions that I have been wondering since I join the community.
Stories and Logical theory is always attracting

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » April 3rd, 2021, 10:38 am

Dylan Chen wrote:
April 3rd, 2021, 10:22 am
...some first-hand history about [1970]± Life and several academic questions that I have been wondering since I join the community.
Stories and Logical theory is always attracting.
For the historical part, just refer to the LifeWiki Lifeline transcriptions (which BTW are too old to be valuable for translation efforts but are otherwise still worth reading). I personally don't care about academic questions as much.

Let's put further discussion on the talk page associated to my proposed Chinese translations.