Thread For Your Failed Things

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
BokaBB

Thread For Your Failed Things

Post by BokaBB » April 29th, 2021, 6:09 am

A thread for anything you tried to do or found but which failed in some way. Other people may help fixing it
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

GUYTU6J

Re: Thread for your Useless discoveries

Post by GUYTU6J » April 29th, 2021, 7:21 am

There is no need to make this thread because if we have something failed we would still post to the corresponding thread and seek for help there, which is necessary to reduce the amount of random, scattering but potentially notable information. So moderators please lock this thread and/or move this to sandbox.

(EDIT: these posts end up at useless discoveries thread.
EDIT once more: LOL they moved this to the sandbox and got some curious confusion!
)

Bokabb, I can understand your excitement after getting your keyboard fixed but don't get back to the old habit of making new threads everywhere.
Last edited by GUYTU6J on April 30th, 2021, 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

BokaBB

Re: Thread for your failed things

Post by BokaBB » April 29th, 2021, 8:23 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 7:21 am
There is no need to make this thread because if we have something failed we would still post to the corresponding thread and seek for help there, which is necessary to reduce the amount of random, scattering but potentially notable information. So moderators please lock this thread and/or move this to sandbox.

Bokabb, I can understand your excitement after getting your keyboard fixed but don't get back to the old habit of making new threads everywhere.
That thread is needed I believe for at least something.
Whoever did that, please back it.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » April 29th, 2021, 8:29 am

GUYTU6J wrote:

BokaBB wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 8:23 am
Have a good day!
I agree with GUYTU6J. Posting partial results in topic-appropriate threads and asking for help is the best way to ensure that relevant people see them, and to reduce clutter.

Unless you can show a specific need, other than a vague "at least something", there's no compelling need to create a new thread.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » April 29th, 2021, 8:38 am

mniemiec wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 8:29 am
GUYTU6J wrote:

BokaBB wrote:
Have a good day!
I agree with GUYTU6J. Posting partial results in topic-appropriate threads and asking for help is the best way to ensure that relevant people see them, and to reduce clutter.

Unless you can show a specific need, other than a vague "at least something", there's no compelling need to create a new thread.
This surely does not belong here anyway.
Also,I could make independent ones for object classes.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

dvgrn

Re: Thread For Your Useless Discoveries

Post by dvgrn » April 29th, 2021, 8:44 am

BokaBB wrote:
That thread got reported, so I moved it. The alternative was to just delete it.

@BokaBB, you created two new threads in quick succession today, and they both got reported, and both needed to be moved. This very strongly suggests that you should stop and think for a moment about why this happened, and change your posting behavior so that it doesn't happen again.

Instead, you immediately posted a response demanding that moderators do even more work for you, moving the thread back again. Please remember that moderators' job is to keep the forums in working order, not to do things for you. Your opinions may be strongly held, but they're often not shared by other users of the conwaylife.com forums.

The general opinion here seems to be that the threads that you created today were not actually needed. There's nothing wrong with that -- everybody misses seeing existing threads sometimes, or makes other mistakes along similar lines. But usually when someone moves or deletes your messages, there's a reason for it, and it's worth taking a moment to think about what that reason is, and how you can avoid the same mistake in the future.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » April 29th, 2021, 8:56 am

dvgrn wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 8:44 am
BokaBB wrote:
That thread got reported, so I moved it. The alternative was to just delete it.

@BokaBB, you created two new threads in quick succession today, and they both got reported, and both needed to be moved. This very strongly suggests that you should stop and think for a moment about why this happened, and change your posting behavior so that it doesn't happen again.

Instead, you immediately posted a response demanding that moderators do even more work for you, moving the thread back again. Please remember that moderators' job is to keep the forums in working order, not to do things for you. Your opinions may be strongly held, but they're often not shared by other users of the conwaylife.com forums.

The general opinion here seems to be that the threads that you created today were not actually needed. There's nothing wrong with that -- everybody misses seeing existing threads sometimes, or makes other mistakes along similar lines. But usually when someone moves or deletes your messages, there's a reason for it, and it's worth taking a moment to think about what that reason is, and how you can avoid the same mistake in the future.
I just wanted to say that this is not a good place to move.
Okay,I understand. However, technically moderators still have that job since there are many things that only they can do and are sometimes needed to users.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » April 29th, 2021, 8:59 am

I would have preferred outright deletion. I'm not sure how this thread is relevant.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 29th, 2021, 9:00 am

BokaBB wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 8:56 am
Yup, you were very clear about that and I understood you perfectly.

Nonetheless, I chose to move your post here, and you didn't say anything that convinced me that I was wrong about that. Some useful advice for you in situations like this might be the old saying, "Leave well enough alone."

This Useless Discoveries thread is in fact a place where people traditionally post patterns that are broken and they can't figure out how to fix them -- and sometimes other people look at them and figure out a solution, at which point the repaired pattern gets posted elsewhere.

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » April 29th, 2021, 9:04 am

Hey, being the guy that originally reported this post, I used the off-topic reason and I strongly suggested moving to the sandbox
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » April 29th, 2021, 9:10 am

dvgrn wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:00 am
BokaBB wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 8:56 am
Yup, you were very clear about that and I understood you perfectly.

Nonetheless, I chose to move your post here, and you didn't say anything that convinced me that I was wrong about that. Some useful advice for you in situations like this might be the old saying, "Leave well enough alone."

This Useless Discoveries thread is in fact a place where people traditionally post patterns that are broken and they can't figure out how to fix them -- and sometimes other people look at them and figure out a solution, at which point the repaired pattern gets posted elsewhere.
What about renaming this thread then,maybe to ,,Thread For Fixing Things"?
Weirdly,I usually put a lot of effort to be understood but get responses like this. What will make you understand?I surely will not say every single unimportant little thing every time.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » April 29th, 2021, 9:16 am

For something like this:

Code: Select all

x = 4, y = 14, rule = B3/S23
o$4o$3bo9$3bo$4o$o!
what is there to fix?
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 29th, 2021, 9:19 am

yujh wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:04 am
Hey, being the guy that originally reported this post, I used the off-topic reason and I strongly suggested moving to the sandbox
Yup. I saw that too. Instead I chose to introduce BokaBB to the Useless Discoveries thread, which is where "broken patterns" of the type mentioned in the original thread usually get posted. Yes, @hotdogPi, other types of useless patterns get posted here, too.

Everyone should please go read the Aesop's fable about the miller and his son and the donkey -- the one with the moral that says "you can't make everyone happy, and it's kind of silly to even try too hard to do that".

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » April 29th, 2021, 9:33 am

dvgrn wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:19 am
yujh wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:04 am
Yup. I saw that too. Instead I chose to introduce BokaBB to the Useless Discoveries thread, which is where "broken patterns" of the type mentioned in the original thread usually get posted. Yes, @hotdogPi, other types of useless patterns get posted here, too.

Everyone should please go read the Aesop's fable about the miller and his son and the donkey -- the one with the moral that says "you can't make everyone happy, and it's kind of silly to even try too hard to do that".
Okay.
Please respond to my last post here before this.
Have a good day!

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 29th, 2021, 4:48 pm

BokaBB wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:33 am
Okay.
Please respond to my last post here before this.
I already did. Twice, in fact -- once even before your message:
dvgrn wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:00 am
Some useful advice for you in situations like this might be the old saying, "Leave well enough alone."
And the other one was:
dvgrn wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:19 am
If I renamed this thread, then someone else would complain -- justifiably, because this thread isn't only for patterns that need to be fixed (but probably can't be). It's also for broken things that are definitely unfixable, but are interesting in some other way.
BokaBB wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 9:10 am
What about renaming this thread then,maybe to ,,Thread For Fixing Things"?
Weirdly,I usually put a lot of effort to be understood but get responses like this. What will make you understand?I surely will not say every single unimportant little thing every time.
It doesn't really seem to be necessary to create a separate thread to put only broken patterns that are possibly fixable. You are certainly free to disagree about this. However, please bear in mind that no matter how clearly you explain your personal opinion to other people, they will still not necessarily change their minds. Most people around here are kind of ornery and independent-minded and hard to convince -- just like you, probably!

Reputation is Important
-- Okay, here's the unfortunate fact that you may find disappointing. At this point, the response that you get to your posts might not be the same as the response that other people might get, even to the exact same posts.

In the past you've made a large number of posts that many other forum users have objected to. Their objections were on the grounds that you were making a lot of noise without contributing anything CA-related to the forums. I'm not saying that you're going to continue to do that, now that you're back from your month away. What I am saying is that you have spent quite a long time building a reputation for posting unwanted stuff.

It's gotten to the point where people aren't necessarily going to give you the benefit of the doubt. When you create multiple new threads or a lot of posts in a row, people are going to worry, or even expect, that you're back to your old behavior. That expectation is not something you are going to be able to change by complaining about it, or by saying that you're going to "put a lot of effort to be understood". People's opinion of you will only change when you really start behaving significantly differently, so that people start to be able to trust you to use these forums without repeatedly annoying them.

Case in Point
Today was a great example. Three different people pointed out three different posts of yours to me today, saying that they were in the wrong place or unwelcome for various reasons. Not all of those people were necessarily correct in their low opinions of your posts -- but they weren't necessarily wrong either -- and right or wrong, I had to spend the time to deal with their reports and write various messages to you.

The best way for you to change your reputation is to not post nearly so much. You're already up to to thirty posts here, just today. To put it simply, that's something like ten times too many, or maybe even thirty times too many, unless you really have a lot of new CA discoveries to report. Also, one of your conversations today was a case where you were much too confident, and tried repeatedly to explain something to another user, when in fact you were the one who misunderstood. This is not the first time that this has happened.

This is "an academic forum, not a chat or microblogging platform" -- I'm sure you've heard this before, but you haven't shown any sign of understanding it yet. It means "don't post lots of one-line conversational messages", and "don't make a lot of demands that other users spend time/pay particular attention to you". Please take this as an official reminder and warning.

cgoler2

Re: Thread For Your Failed Things

Post by cgoler2 » April 30th, 2021, 8:54 am

Why are the exact same posts being made in the Useless Discoveries thread and this thread?

JP21

Re: Thread For BokaBB's failed convincement

Post by JP21 » April 30th, 2021, 9:12 am

cgoler2 wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 8:54 am
Why are the exact same posts being made in the Useless Discoveries thread and this thread?
They just moved all of the pointless discussion from useless discoveries to here. (which is about a failed things thread that BokaBB wants but nobody else actually wants (including me))

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » April 30th, 2021, 10:20 am

BokaBB wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 8:48 am
Hey, what are you doing with my account?
Quoting you to make you see this.
My apologies! It looks like I hit the Edit button instead of the Reply button when I was trying to respond to your latest message, so that damaged your message a little bit. I've gone ahead and removed the duplication.

What I intended was to post a new message something like this:
dvgrn wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 4:48 pm
BokaBB wrote:
April 30th, 2021, 8:16 am
Is 10 posts per day acceptable?
Ten posts in one day is fine -- as long as three different people don't end up reporting three of your posts, as they did yesterday. Topics matter, as you noted about MathAndCode's posts.

If you're posting ten posts every day, the odds are near 100% that you're completely failing to understand how the conwaylife forums are meant to be used. So unless you're posting interesting new CA discoveries with your ten posts every day, you'll probably run into serious trouble sooner or later with that volume of messages.

An example of posts that you really shouldn't be making is this entire series of "discussion questions" on the Useless Discoveries thread. I moved your thread there because that would have been a good place to post the kind of failed patterns you were talking about. But once you and I end up having a full page of discussion about what's appropriate and what's not -- drawing a lot of attention to you and with no CA content whatsoever -- then it becomes really annoying to other users of the forums, that we're choosing to have that discussion there, on the Patterns thread.

So I've moved all of this to the Sandbox. But I've spent as much time on this discussion as I can afford already. Please just re-read everything I wrote, and try to understand that no matter how much you might want to use the conwaylife forums the way you've been using them, you're probably never going to be able to post thirty posts in a day, or even ten, without getting a chorus of complaints from a lot of people, and probably ban warnings or actual bans from moderators.