Introductions

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
gameoflifemaniac

Re: Introductions

Post by gameoflifemaniac » August 30th, 2020, 9:59 am

Anonymous Glider wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Hi I guess...

I'm just another guy who didn't realize how cool CGoL was until a few months ago. I came across it a few times, but never saw anything more complex than a glider. When I found this website, I was instantly fascinated with all the thing that had been discovered. After downloading Golly and reading through as many Lifewiki articles as I could, I started playing around with some basic stable circuits. I lurked on these forums for a few months before finally deciding to register.

I still mostly work with stable (and sometimes periodic) circuits, mostly for logic/computation.
yooo
I was so socially awkward in the past and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Code: Select all

b4o25bo$o29bo$b3o3b3o2bob2o2bob2o2bo3bobo$4bobo3bob2o2bob2o2bobo3bobo$
4bobo3bobo5bo5bo3bobo$o3bobo3bobo5bo6b4o$b3o3b3o2bo5bo9bobo$24b4o!

vivi

Post by vivi » September 10th, 2020, 9:38 pm

hi! i've been lurking here for several months and reading about/experimenting with CGoL on and off since maybe 2010? and i only just decided to register. i feel like it's pretty unlikely that i'll do anything cool myself but i find pretty much any kind of development really exciting. it's cool just to be around when things get discovered, yknow?
they/she
be kind

Saka

Post by Saka » September 10th, 2020, 9:43 pm

vivi wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 9:38 pm
hi! i've been lurking here for several months and reading about/experimenting with CGoL on and off since maybe 2010? and i only just decided to register. i feel like it's pretty unlikely that i'll do anything cool myself but i find pretty much any kind of development really exciting. it's cool just to be around when things get discovered, yknow?
Well, welcome to the forums! Have you downloaded Golly? Do if you haven't.

vivi

Post by vivi » September 10th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Saka wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 9:43 pm
thank you !! i've had golly for a bit, i used it a lot in maybe 2012 and then forgot about it until a few months ago and it's definitely nicer now. and i have a lot more patience.
they/she
be kind

NoAyeBeardo

Post by NoAyeBeardo » September 11th, 2020, 12:36 pm

vivi wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 9:59 pm
Saka wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 9:43 pm
thank you !! i've had golly for a bit, i used it a lot in maybe 2012 and then forgot about it until a few months ago and it's definitely nicer now. and i have a lot more patience.
and maybe read the forum rules so we wont have another ColorfulGalaxy. No offense, just please don't start spamming the forums with useless stuff, which is what most new users do.
Not inactive any more! :D

vivi

Post by vivi » September 11th, 2020, 12:48 pm

NoAyeBeardo wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:36 pm
and maybe read the forum rules so we wont have another ColorfulGalaxy. No offense, just please don't start spamming the forums with useless stuff, which is what most new users do.
i will read them!! so far i've gotten excited about ,, one thing but i won't spam.
they/she
be kind

NoAyeBeardo

Post by NoAyeBeardo » September 11th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Ok good! Some examples of spammers are (not naming any names)
Last edited by NoAyeBeardo on September 13th, 2020, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not inactive any more! :D

praosylen

Post by praosylen » September 11th, 2020, 9:05 pm

NoAyeBeardo wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:36 pm
NoAyeBeardo wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:59 pm
Ok good! Some examples of spammers are rahul25, ColorfulGalaxy, and ENORMOUS_NAME.
Can we (in general, not as a euphemism for "you") please not do this kind of stuff? Just because someone doesn't have a good grasp on what kinds of patterns and discoveries are generally considered worthwhile enough to post doesn't mean they're a "spammer". Actual spammers and trolls are almost always banned immediately once they show up. Naming names of people that seem genuinely interested in cellular automata but haven't quite figured out how this forum works yet and calling them spammers is 1) mean, 2) likely to turn newcomers away, including people who will contribute important things later on, 3) tends to make the forums a much less enjoyable place to read, and 4) is basically spam itself — and it seems like nowadays every new person who shows up immediately gets their first few Life discoveries shot down with "this isn't notable", "this is uninteresting", "this is known", and whatever mainly by people who almost never post in the Patterns forum, and whether or not the things they discovered are actually notable or interesting.

(I know you do post in the Patterns forum, so that part isn't really applicable — sorry to call you out specifically, I want to be clear that it's not really your problem specifically, but a larger pattern of behavior that a bunch of fairly recently joined people [within the last year or so | without naming names] have picked up of being intolerant of newcomers. But in my experience most people who regularly contribute Life discoveries of their own are much more tolerant of new users' attempts at contributing — and since those are the people the Patterns forum is geared at, I tend to think it's their opinion that should count, not the opinion of a bunch of white knight slightly-less-new users who don't really get what the Patterns forum is supposed to be either. Anyway I do think you'd be in the minority in terms of wanting to behave this way toward new users.)

Sorry to go on a big rant about this, but it's something I've been wanting to say for a long time to a lot of different people, and I haven't really had a good opportunity to say something yet.
vivi wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Hi! I wanted to say I already thought your blinker+fleet reaction and your sparky p72 hassler with it was cool, and I don't think anything you've done so far, or are likely to do, would be spam or anything. This place used to be way more welcoming of new users and I hate how a lot of people now immediately assume everyone who shows up is going to somehow "ruin" the forums or whatever with endless piles of new "I THINK I DISCOVERED A NEW STILL LIFE" or "NEW 300-GENERATION METHUSELAH" threads and octuple posts or whatever. Please don't be afraid to share the things you find, as long as you're at least making an effort to follow forum etiquette when you do, like checking to see if it's in the LifeWiki or maybe some pattern collections (if you know about them) first — and it's even totally fine if you don't know if what you find is "notable" by community standards, there are plenty of places for that, like the Unsure/Useless Discoveries threads in Patterns (and pretty much any Sandbox thread for that matter).
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

vivi

Post by vivi » September 11th, 2020, 10:28 pm

A for awesome wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Hi! I wanted to say ...
hi !! thank you wow. i'll do my best to pick up etiquette etc. i don't blame people for being wary, but i also really appreciate your being so welcoming!! honestly i really wanna get into the pointless optimization game so that's the spammiest thing i'd be likely to do, hehe.
they/she
be kind

Moosey

Post by Moosey » September 12th, 2020, 11:36 am

I agree wholly with what prao said.
praosylen wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 9:05 pm
This place used to be way more welcoming of new users and I hate how a lot of people now immediately assume everyone who shows up is going to somehow "ruin" the forums or whatever with endless piles of new "I THINK I DISCOVERED A NEW STILL LIFE" or "NEW 300-GENERATION METHUSELAH" threads and octuple posts or whatever.
My additional two cents: to those that make these assumptions (Not naming names esp. since you know who you are), it's kind of a violation of the first rule in these forums:
Nathaniel wrote:Be kind, honest, and respectful.
In addition, that kind of rudeness is (1) off-topic, (2) completely unjustified, (3) unwelcoming, and most importantly: (4) IT CREATES CLUTTER AND MESSES, which is generally what said rudeness tries ineffectively to combat.

tl;dr folks, don't be unkind to the newbies, it doesn't help. Instead, please kindly explain if they have any mistakes.

For instance, suppose a newbie joined and posted something along "Is this c/3 spaceship known/new c/3 spaceship/etc". What's been happening is basically along the lines of certain users immediately responding with something like (ok this is slightly exaggerated, perhaps, but it still gives the general idea of the responses)
That's a dart stop ruining the forums
a better response would be
Hi, welcome to the forums! That spaceship is unfortunately known (dart); what search program did you find it with?
This is superior for several reasons:
(1) it's welcoming
(2) it's on-topic
(3) it opens possibilities for interesting discussion! Maybe this newbie didn't use a script on these forums but rather wrote a script themselves! Maybe said search script is faster than others! etc etc etc -- this could lead to all sorts of fortunate possibilities that would not happen if someone instead chooses to be rude and unwelcoming.
Last edited by Moosey on April 9th, 2022, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
not active here but active on discord

Hunting

Post by Hunting » September 13th, 2020, 1:23 am

Moosey wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 11:36 am
Not naming names esp. since you know who you are), it's kind of a violation of the first rule in these forums:
Nathaniel wrote:Be kind, honest, and respectful.
I'm not. I'm always trying to be kind and offer helpful advices even if they did something which was usually frowned upon, just not so good at choosing words.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » September 13th, 2020, 7:11 am

vivi wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:28 pm
honestly i really wanna get into the pointless optimization game so that's the spammiest thing i'd be likely to do...
Do you have a particular target for Pointless Optimization? The big topic for that used to be the glider guns thread, but now the gun collection has been so relentlessly optimized that it has become a difficult field to break into and find an improvement. There might still be a few exceptions hiding among the big lower-period guns, but the big pseudo-period guns are complicated enough that they'd be a scary starter project, I suppose.

The most recent optimization project has been the upcoming Speed Demonoid, but I've probably lost all perspective on how much someone would have to learn to make contributions to that! Probably some reminders from confused newcomers would be a good incentive fix the categorizations in the new 12x12 one-time turner/splitter collection. (The 90-degree turner categories are good, though somewhat painful to use at the moment, but the splitters and 0- and 180-degree turner categories are still just a big mess.)

Goldtiger997

Post by Goldtiger997 » September 13th, 2020, 11:00 am

vivi wrote:
honestly i really wanna get into the pointless optimization game so that's the spammiest thing i'd be likely to do, hehe.
There's still a huge supply of still-life and oscillator syntheses that can still be pointlessly optimised without too much difficulty. Just head over to the C1 census page on Catagolue, pick some random xs20-xs30 still-life with a fairly high number of soups, and try and make a cheaper synthesis than the one present using the soups on the page. If there isn't already a synthesis for that still-life, then even better: you've synthesised a previously unsynthesised still-life! This is an example of the kind of still-life I'm thinking of.

Alternatively, you could try pointlessly optimising some of the patterns collected in this table about stable spaceship circuitry . Admittedly, many of those patterns have already been optimised quite extensively due to a spate of activity a few months ago, so further optimisations could be a little challenging at first.

If you're not interested in stable circuitry, there's still a large pile of non-standard spaceship guns/rakes that haven't been built yet or can be improved.

vivi

Post by vivi » September 13th, 2020, 11:10 am

dvgrn wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:11 am
vivi wrote:
honestly i really wanna get into the pointless optimization game so that's the spammiest thing i'd be likely to do...
Do you have a particular target for Pointless Optimization? ...
i think i want to just spend some time reading each of these to see what i feel like i can contribute to. thanks for pointing me in some directions!!
they/she
be kind

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » September 14th, 2020, 7:56 pm

vivi wrote:
One thing that could use optimization sometime soon and has a lot of room for improvement is universal single-directional XWSS construction because it could be used in an upcoming self-constructing spaceship (or possibly two). If you work on that, I'll probably join you once I'm finished optimizing universal four-directional glider construction. Of course, you could also work on optimizing that, but I don't think that there's much room left.
By the way, I also lurked on the forums and wiki for several months before creating an account.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

Mr. T

Post by Mr. T » September 21st, 2020, 1:09 pm

Apropos optimization,
chanced my forum name from this unbelievelable clever "christoph r." to "Mr. T". T like in ..., you know. No, i don't say it, i don't wanna curse.
I am in this forum for a while, but Mr. T is brand new. So.

Servus!
Christoph Reinthaler (Who has this weird c/10-fetish)

yujh
Location: I'm not sure where I am, so please tell me if you know

Post by yujh » September 22nd, 2020, 5:52 am

Mr. T wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 1:09 pm
Apropos optimization,
chanced my forum name from this unbelievelable clever "christoph r." to "Mr. T". T like in ..., you know. No, i don't say it, i don't wanna curse.
I am in this forum for a while, but Mr. T is brand new. So.

Servus!
Truly weird.
Rule modifier

B34kz5e7c8/S23-a4ityz5k
b2n3-q5y6cn7s23-k4c8
B3-kq6cn8/S2-i3-a4ciyz8
B3-kq4z5e7c8/S2-ci3-a4ciq5ek6eik7

Bored of Conway's Game of Life? Try Pedestrian Life -- not pedestrian at all!

HelicopterCat3

Post by HelicopterCat3 » October 20th, 2020, 7:06 am

Hi I'm new to the forums! My name is Nathanael and I am 14 right now turning 15 and I became interested in the GoL last year and have since then been keen on learning. I love to play and write music for other people and I like to play video games in my free time.

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » November 6th, 2020, 6:39 am

Hello! My name is Alex. I work as an engineer, and in my free time I am fond of computer games, equipment and technologies. Astronomy has recently become my new hobby. I read articles about new developments and discoveries that make it possible to study not only space, but also life on our planet.

Dylan Chen

Post by Dylan Chen » December 23rd, 2020, 1:08 am

I step in world of CGoL in 2020 Mar., quite late for an "already grownup adult" who at his 20+.
At first I obsessed with the Meta-Pixel Galaxy video, so I visited lifewiki , a few days later registered the forum.
I got a new 6core laptop in early Jun. After tested some games, I had a whim of doing sth that cool and "scientific". So I went to the forum, saw a post of Saka said sth about Apgsearch. That is the new beginning of my Game of life.
It was the win-precompile & Cywin on the morning , and turns to WSL in the afternoon.
The summer of my hometown is really moist&hot, the laptop got burning &noise, so I turned to "rent" some remote Linux computers. "student price" cloud server for example.
inspirehep at 9:39 PM
Never thought I could learn all of these from the community. Linux command, server maintenance, bash script, apt&git&compile.
Today, I can control 70 instance simultaneously, using the powerful V100(able to search 1mi soups within a second), and help with some spaceship search.
At first, I thought Saka was the closest one to me(geologically). Untill recent days, I found someone in the server is in the same city with me.
I have watched the 2011 math imo windmill problem video long before I meet apg and realise he is the guy who participated the 2011 imo.
Until recent days, when checking the album of my phone, that I have done a simple cell automa model to simulate traffic in early 2017.
I have heard of the noun "cell automa" , "Game of life" hundreds of times in my early life, in my childhood. But not even a single time did I try it with my hand.
I missed a lot, However, also gained a lot from life (both CGoL & my actual life)
Tools should not be the limit.
Whether your obstacle is a script, an stdin, or Linux environment computing resouces.
check New rules thread for help.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » January 12th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Hey guys! I'm a 10 year old who discovered the world of Cgol in 2019. My name is Samuel, and I love Tetris. I post mostly in the OCA threads. I don't have any good computer(a chromebook is not good). Cheers! Note: I sometimes post something already known.
WARNING: This user may have mental health issues. Do not interact with them unless you are either nonexistent or a human being.
[THIS WARNING POSTED BY [CENSORED]]

PC101

Post by PC101 » January 12th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Hello to anyone reading this. I am very interested in physics, mathematics, and video games. I first discovered CGOL in 2017 through the "epic conway's game of life" video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2vgICfQawE) and have been hooked to it by how visually appealing some of the patterns are. The most appealing patterns to me were the engineered spaceships including (but not limited to) the Gemini and Waterbear. The complexity of engineered spaceships inspired me to attempt to make my own engineered spaceship.
Last edited by PC101 on December 12th, 2021, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffer Suppressor
Would we be able to know when we know everything there is to know?
How would we know what we don’t know that we don’t know?

The (34,7)c/156 caterpillar is finished!!! You can download it here.

weatherman115

Post by weatherman115 » March 16th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Hey everyone. My time here will most likely be spent making still lifes and doing the occasional haul. My primary interest is gaming, specifically FPS games, and I also enjoy math and music.

Here's some of what I've made so far:

x = 26, y = 28, rule = B3/S23
14b2ob2o$14b2obo$17bo$6b2o2b2o2b2ob2o$obo3b2o2b2o2b2o2bo$2obo13bo6b2o$
3bo2b10obobo4bo$2obobo10bobobo4bo$2obobo2b7obo2bobo2b2o$3bobobo7bobobo
2bo$2obobobo2b4obobo2bob4o$2obobobobo4bobobobo4bo$3bobobobo2bobobobo2b
ob2o$2obobobobobobobobobobobo$2obobobobobobobobobobobo$3bobobobo2bobob
obo2bob2o$2obobobobo4bobobobo4bo$2obobobo2b4obobo2bob4o$3bobobo7bobobo
2bo$2obobo2b7obo2bobo2b2o$2obobo10bobobo4bo$3bo2b10obobo4bo$2obo13bo6b
2o$obo3b2o2b2o2b2o2bo$6b2o2b2o2b2ob2o$17bo$14b2obo$14b2ob2o!

x = 21, y = 32, rule = B3/S23
5b2o2b2o$5bo2bo2bo$6b3obobo$10bobo$4b4obobo$3bo3bob2o$2bo2bo2bo4bo3bo$
2bob4o2b4o2bobo$3bo4b3o5bobo$4b3o5b4obo$b3o3b5o4bo$bo3b2o2bo3bobo$6bo
4b3ob2o$4bo2b4o5bo2b2o$4b3o5b3obobobo$8bob2obobob2o$2obob2ob2obo3bo3bo
$ob2obobo4bo2b2ob2o$8b2ob2o$9b2o$7bo4b3o$7b2ob2o2bo$11bo$7b2obo$8bob2o
$7bo$8b4o$12bob2o$8b2o2b2obo$8bo$9bo$8b2o!

x = 39, y = 39, rule = B3/S23
15b2o5b2o$16bo5bo$15bo7bo$15b2o2bo2b2o$18bobo$15b3obob3o$11b2obo2bo3bo
2bob2o$11b2obo4bo4bob2o$15b4ob4o$19bo$17bo3bo$6b2o8bob3obo8b2o$6b2o9bo
3bo9b2o$18b3o$6b2o23b2o$ob2obo2bo7b7o7bo2bob2obo$2obobo2bo2bo3bo7bo3bo
2bo2bobob2o$5b2obobobo2bob2ob2obo2bobobob2o$4bo3bo2bobobob2ob2obobobo
2bo3bo$3bobobobobobobo7bobobobobobobo$4bo3bo2bobobob2ob2obobobo2bo3bo$
5b2obobobo2bob2ob2obo2bobobob2o$2obobo2bo2bo3bo7bo3bo2bo2bobob2o$ob2ob
o2bo7b7o7bo2bob2obo$6b2o23b2o$18b3o$6b2o9bo3bo9b2o$6b2o8bob3obo8b2o$
17bo3bo$19bo$15b4ob4o$11b2obo4bo4bob2o$11b2obo2bo3bo2bob2o$15b3obob3o$
18bobo$15b2o2bo2b2o$15bo7bo$16bo5bo$15b2o5b2o!

JP21

Post by JP21 » March 16th, 2021, 9:42 pm

weatherman115 wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 5:34 pm

rle
Cool, but absolutely useless still lives. (most people in the community know them to be unnecessary)
I used to make those types of ungrateful still lives.
Sadly, I'm not the type of person who really does welcomes.....

Moosey

Post by Moosey » March 17th, 2021, 10:00 am

weatherman115 wrote:
March 16th, 2021, 5:34 pm
Hey everyone. My time here will most likely be spent making still lifes and doing the occasional haul. My primary interest is gaming, specifically FPS games, and I also enjoy math and music.

snip

snip 2: the sequel

snip 3 (widely considered the best film in the snip franchise)
Welcome to the forums!
not active here but active on discord