Re: Thread For Your Accidental Discoveries

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » June 18th, 2021, 9:12 pm

Edit: It looks like there was a minor argument over some misunderstandings, but it's been worked out and everyone has apologized. I've moved the relevant posts to the sandbox. --Sokwe

I hate myself sometimes. I'm socially inept and have no common sense. There are several things that I'll probably never forgive myself for.
Last edited by MathAndCode on June 19th, 2021, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

Ian07

Post by Ian07 » June 18th, 2021, 9:51 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
June 18th, 2021, 9:12 pm
This component was posted in 2017. The synthesis database was not added to Catagolue until 2019.

And even today, there are evidently people who either don't know about the box or don't quite know how to use it effectively. So if I see that someone hasn't been submitting their syntheses to Catagolue, I would simply inform them about it and try to give pointers where necessary. And if they get frustrated and give up because things keep getting parsed incorrectly, I for one will volunteer to handle it myself to the best of my ability.

This is definitely a legitimate issue, and efforts to recover syntheses buried in the forums are still ongoing, but chastising people for being unable to use something that didn't yet exist is not the solution.

praosylen

Post by praosylen » June 18th, 2021, 10:56 pm

MathAndCode wrote:
June 18th, 2021, 9:12 pm
Why wasn't this submitted to Catagolue? You had over four years to submit this to Catagolue, but you failed, thus consigning your component to become lost in the forums. Luckily, I found it—but that won't happen every time.
What is this? Honestly I'm kind of shocked you seem to expect someone to remember every last thing vaguely synthesis-y they've ever posted and to have submitted them all the instant the Catagolue box was up and running, much less things they posted on an old account they most likely would love to forget existed. Your tone here also comes across, at least to me, as pretty condescending and a bit self-important, although idk for sure if that's how you meant it. I really think that sometimes rules 7/8 on the discord should really apply here, too...

I know I'm not exactly being the model of politeness here either, and I'm sorry about that. I do feel like you could stand a lot of the time to make less of a big deal of minor guidelines or pieces of forum etiquette, have some understanding of why people do, or don't do, the things they do (or of course don't do), and realize that your expectations for others maybe aren't always realistic, and, beyond that, that your expectations aren't something that other people need to follow if they don't want to. I respect so much of what you've done in the fairly short time you've been here, but you're not really an authority figure in this community (yet — maybe you'll get there in a decade or so, or maybe sooner), you're definitely not a moderator, and you're not speaking for the community's collective opinion here (even if you think you are), at the very least in tone, so I don't know that your opinions and statements about this issue really carry the kind of weight that entitles you in the minds of the community to speak like that, and unfortunately you're probably going to annoy or even anger a lot of people if you keep doing it.

(Honestly I'd be tempted to post what I quoted here on Famous Quotes — it'd certainly be a good fit — but that feels excessively rude and kind of petty, so I won't. I just think you'd get a lot friendlier of responses — and you might even be more likely to convince people to do what you wish they do! — if you said things less bluntly and more conciliatorily a lot of the time.)
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...

MathAndCode

Post by MathAndCode » June 19th, 2021, 12:43 am

Ian07 wrote:
June 18th, 2021, 9:51 pm
This component was posted in 2017. The synthesis database was not added to Catagolue until 2019.
I was unaware of that.
Ian07 wrote:
And even today, there are evidently people who either don't know about the box or don't quite know how to use it effectively.
Yes, I should have remembered my own history with it.
Ian07 wrote:
This is definitely a legitimate issue, and efforts to recover syntheses buried in the forums are still ongoing, but chastising people for being unable to use something that didn't yet exist is not the solution.
I suppose that part of the problem is that I can't stand inefficiency, and having so many components get lost in the forums is very inefficient.
A for awesome wrote:
June 18th, 2021, 10:56 pm
What is this?
my habit of going to forum posts referenced in LifeWiki articles (in this case, the three-glider switch engine synthesis), reading through the entire page, and somehow figuring that it's okay to reply as long as the topic is still active; my annoyance over what I perceive as inefficiency; my tendency to let my annoyance show; my lack of social awareness; my then-lack of knowledge that Catagolue didn't keep track of syntheses then; my emotional but clearly not intellectual assumption that all of those four years would have been a reasonable opportunity; my loseness regarding what is worth mentioning if I'm already making a post anyway; my poor wording choice; my tendency focus on the RLEs instead of the words when I proofread my posts; and probably several more failures on my part
Also, I'm sure that I would have been able to identify all of those before I made that post, but I obviously haven't addressed them, so I apparently lack common sense or something.
I am tentatively considering myself back.

wwei47

Post by wwei47 » June 19th, 2021, 1:08 am

A for awesome wrote:
(Honestly I'd be tempted to post what I quoted here on Famous Quotes — it'd certainly be a good fit — but that feels excessively rude and kind of petty, so I won't. I just think you'd get a lot friendlier of responses — and you might even be more likely to convince people to do what you wish they do! — if you said things less bluntly and more conciliatorily a lot of the time.)
Then why does the 2017 Calcyman rant get a spot there?
MathAndCode wrote:
June 19th, 2021, 12:43 am
my annoyance over what I perceive as inefficiency
Then this is probably just another "emotions decide to overrun everything else" situation.
MathAndCode wrote:
my tendency to let my annoyance show
I can't adjust in response to an emotion I can't see, so I don't think this is an issue.
MathAndCode wrote:
my lack of social awareness
Me too.
Help me find high-period c/2 technology!
My guide: https://bit.ly/3uJtzu9
My c/2 tech collection: https://bit.ly/3qUJg0u
Overview of periods: https://bit.ly/3LwE0I5
Most wanted periods: 76,116

praosylen

Post by praosylen » June 19th, 2021, 1:12 am

MathAndCode wrote:
A for awesome wrote:
What is this?
my habit of going to forum posts referenced in LifeWiki articles (in this case, the three-glider switch engine synthesis), reading through the entire page, and somehow figuring that it's okay to reply as long as the topic is still active; my annoyance over what I perceive as inefficiency; my tendency to let my annoyance show; my lack of social awareness; my then-lack of knowledge that Catagolue didn't keep track of syntheses then; my emotional but clearly not intellectual assumption that all of those four years would have been a reasonable opportunity; my loseness regarding what is worth mentioning if I'm already making a post anyway; my poor wording choice; my tendency focus on the RLEs instead of the words when I proofread my posts; and probably several more failures on my part
Also, I'm sure that I would have been able to identify all of those before I made that post, but I obviously haven't addressed them, so I apparently lack common sense or something.
Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry... looking back on the post I made I made a huge, huge mistake, I can't believe how much I overreacted! I wasn't feeling as diplomatic as I should have already but then I did a bunch of the very things I was angry about thinking I saw from you (which you may or may not have ever even done), which was word things way more bluntly than I needed to, not consider that you might not actually know when the box was first implemented, act like I was somehow better than you, and admonish you for doing things differently than I would. Sometimes I don't get what my problem is... idk why I get so worked up about forum drama sometimes, but usually I delete my angry drafts, not send them, I'm so sorry. If you want me to "delete" my post I can, otherwise I'll let the moderators deal with it, if they even care. I think some of the points I made stand at least a bit, but I was just so tone-deaf and hypocritical, and I forget how much power my words can have on people when I write some sort of big statement or something that comes across as a "takedown" or whatever and's full of dangerous half-truths that people will believe when they hear them but completely cast things in the wrong light... I think I'll just let what Ian07 said stand and withdraw everything I said earlier, even though I know it doesn't really undo anything about how must have felt. I should just shut my mouth and never wade into forum/discord disputes, I'm clearly half the time way too good at either making people think they're utter human garbage and half the time at just being flat-out obviously mean and eliciting hugely (and well-deservedly) passive-aggressive responses from people, when all they did was one little thing that mildly annoyed me and a couple other people.

(Also I'm so sorry for everyone who likes to read this topic to make you all wade through this total junk. Carry on.)
former username: A for Awesome
praosylen#5847 (Discord)

The only decision I made was made
of flowers, to jump universes to one of springtime in
a land of former winter, where no invisible walls stood,
or could stand for more than a few hours at most...