Conversational Thread

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
AlbertArmStain

Conversational Thread

Post by AlbertArmStain » June 6th, 2022, 5:23 pm

Here’s the place to have a nice little conversation with your peers. Just remember to be respectful of others opinions.
Last edited by AlbertArmStain on June 7th, 2022, 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

hotdogPi

Re: Organized Non-academic Thread to make up for our loss

Post by hotdogPi » June 6th, 2022, 6:17 pm

I would rather have an organized miscellaneous academic and/or about the forum itself thread. Non-academic posts are exactly what we don't want in a random posts thread.

Basically an "I want to post something but I don't want to create a new thread" thread, which is some of what Random Posts 2 was doing, and that part should still exist.
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

AlbertArmStain

Re: Conversational Thread

Post by AlbertArmStain » June 6th, 2022, 6:26 pm

hotdogPi wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 6:17 pm
I would rather have an organized miscellaneous academic and/or about the forum itself thread. Non-academic posts are exactly what we don't want in a random posts thread.

Basically an "I want to post something but I don't want to create a new thread" thread, which is some of what Random Posts 2 was doing, and that part should still exist.
Fine, I’ll change the title. You happy now?
We have to balance between what the people want and what the moderators want.

Edit:
Retitled it again.
Last edited by AlbertArmStain on June 6th, 2022, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » June 6th, 2022, 11:40 pm

Do you know why the thread was locked?

Stop being hostile to anime.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 7th, 2022, 4:57 am

I'd like to say something in this nice small conversational thread before it gets locked some day for some reason or another.
GUYTU6J, in another thread, wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 11:38 pm
Do you forget what dvgrn said about a similar "game" of yours?
I'm not dvgrn, but neither is anyone else (except perhaps dvgrn). If all you have to say is a quote from a moderator or probably anyone else, then maybe you do not need to say it at all - IMO quoting a moderator is neither productive nor does something good to your argument.
FWIW I do not see any problem with that particular thread before your reply in it. (Also this is one reason why I decided to play a move there.) It is yet another Sandbox thread. I think if and when there is a problem with that thread, it will be handled.

GUYTU6J, please respect other people here, regardless of their background and contributions, as long as it is at all possible, and then a little bit longer after that. This is absolutely serious.
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

AlbertArmStain

Post by AlbertArmStain » June 7th, 2022, 7:30 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 11:40 pm
Do you know why the thread was locked?

Stop being hostile to anime.
Sokwe said nothing about anime, he only said that the lock was for evading random posts again. And that people are breaking rules. None of the rules mention being hostile to non-physical characters.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » June 7th, 2022, 7:39 am

AlbertArmStain wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 5:23 pm
For the prevention of chaos, and Sokwe locking another random posts thread
we have to keep it reasonable and organized.
and if Sokwe locks another thread like this, just tell him this quote from PkmnQ:
It's not random posts itself that breaks the rules, it's just the toxicicty that breaks the rules.
No, but really, I don't want another thread like this locked ever again.
To keep track of people disobeying rules, I’ll keep a tally. 3 strikes and your banned until you Learned your lesson. People will get a warning from me if the post doesn’t follow forum rules. If they don’t take down their post in the next 30 minutes, then they get a strike. Tell me if I should add a new rule.
Have fun, but not too much :mrgreen:!
Do you know that you are not going to be well here if you break the rules superimposed on this kind of threads by a site moderator ? I felt it on my own skin and it roasted me . Also , some people like those anime or whatever , so please be careful !
Please do not take this as an offense , I just wish you all the best !
EDIT:For moderators: I retract the last sentence in my report before my signature .
Good morning / afternoon / evening / night !
Enjoy your life and all the best !
Have a suuuuperior day !

BokaBB
Last edited by BokaBB on June 7th, 2022, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Sure, I was a bad person, but I have changed myself.
I'd love to befriend anybody who's interested.
Have a good day!

BokaBB

AlbertArmStain

Post by AlbertArmStain » June 7th, 2022, 7:45 am

BokaBB wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 7:39 am
AlbertArmStain wrote:
Here’s the place to have a nice little conversation with your peers. Just remember to be respectful of others opinions.
Do you know that you are not going to be well here if you break the rules superimposed on this kind of threads by a site moderator ? I felt it on my own skin and it roasted me . Also , some people like those anime or whatever , so please be careful !
Please do not take this as an offense , I just wish you all the best !
Have a suuuuperior day !

BokaBB
I’ll change that now.
Edit:
Those rules I mentioned no longer apply, it’s only a suggestion now.
Last edited by AlbertArmStain on June 8th, 2022, 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » June 7th, 2022, 7:57 am

I actually would love this , I mean , but I do not think that we are ever going to do that unless so much time passes that the moderators have forgotten about Random posts .
Have a suuuuperior day !

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » June 7th, 2022, 8:09 am

AlbertArmStain wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 7:30 am
...None of the rules mention being hostile to non-physical characters.
Forum Rules #1 wrote:Be kind, honest, and respectful.
EDIT:
confocaloid wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 4:57 am
I'd like to say something in this nice small conversational thread before it gets locked some day for some reason or another.
GUYTU6J, in another thread, wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 11:38 pm
Do you forget what dvgrn said about a similar "game" of yours?
I'm not dvgrn, but neither is anyone else (except perhaps dvgrn). If all you have to say is a quote from a moderator or probably anyone else, then maybe you do not need to say it at all - IMO quoting a moderator is neither productive nor does something good to your argument.
FWIW I do not see any problem with that particular thread before your reply in it. (Also this is one reason why I decided to play a move there.) It is yet another Sandbox thread. I think if and when there is a problem with that thread, it will be handled.

GUYTU6J, please respect other people here, regardless of their background and contributions, as long as it is at all possible, and then a little bit longer after that. This is absolutely serious.
I would suggest reading through a couple of old threads from that user (and also the sandbox-related threads in Website Discussion last year), and see what others replied. I cannot find a gentler way to say the following sentence, but the fact is that you haven't joined the forums at that time.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 7th, 2022, 8:40 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 8:09 am
I would suggest reading through a couple of old threads from that user (and also the sandbox-related threads in Website Discussion last year), and see what others replied.
So I did. Also I did read slightly more than a couple of your old and new posts.
GUYTU6J wrote:
I cannot find a gentler way to say the following sentence, but the fact is that you haven't joined the forums at that time.
From the fact that I haven't joined the forums at that time, it does not quite follow that I do not know what happened on the forums at that time.

Slightly more generally, if you think that someone else does not know something about the state of affairs, then you might want to think twice.
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » June 7th, 2022, 8:49 am

confocaloid wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 8:40 am
GUYTU6J wrote:
I would suggest reading through a couple of old threads from that user (and also the sandbox-related threads in Website Discussion last year), and see what others replied.
So I did. Also I did read slightly more than a couple of your old and new posts.
Conclusions on the "sandboxification", BokaBB and me, then?

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 7th, 2022, 8:54 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 8:49 am
As it stands, I do not yet feel need to jump to conclusions. You have all the time in the world. The world does not end tomorrow.
Also, this isn’t about that issue so don’t change the subject.
Unlikely events happen.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » June 7th, 2022, 9:13 am

confocaloid wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 8:54 am
GUYTU6J wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 8:49 am
As it stands, I do not yet feel need to jump to conclusions. You have all the time in the world. The world does not end tomorrow.
Also, this isn’t about that issue so don’t change the subject.
Well, I have imagined the reply coming in a bit later with detailed analysis, according to which I could adjust my future appearance on the forums. But I was disappointed.

The issue is pretty clear to me. Personally I interpreted BokaBB's return as a signal of willingness to improve appearance (and there were some PM messages between us about this); so when he seems to get back to the old behaviour, a little reminder is needed.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 7th, 2022, 9:25 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 9:13 am
Well, I have imagined the reply coming in a bit later with detailed analysis, according to which I could adjust my future appearance on the forums. But I was disappointed.

The issue is pretty clear to me. Personally I interpreted BokaBB's return as a signal of willingness to improve appearance (and there were some PM messages between us about this); so when he seems to get back to the old behaviour, a little reminder is needed.
As far as it seems to me personally (which may be irrelevant/meaningless depending on one's point of view), policing behaviour of other users is not something particularly fun/recreational/enlightening. Neither it seems to me to be something you (or me, for that matter) are supposed to do, as a humble CA enthusiast and forums dweller. Please whenever possible, leave the task of issuing little reminders to other users to those very few people who actually can do that in an appropriate way.

Also it is my opinion that CA-related games are okay in themselves. It is just the matter of being reasonable and playing nice.
Unlikely events happen.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » June 7th, 2022, 10:27 am

confocaloid wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 9:25 am
As far as it seems to me personally (which may be irrelevant/meaningless depending on one's point of view), policing behaviour of other users is not something particularly fun/recreational/enlightening. Neither it seems to me to be something you (or me, for that matter) are supposed to do, as a humble CA enthusiast and forums dweller. Please whenever possible, leave the task of issuing little reminders to other users to those very few people who actually can do that in an appropriate way.
Very good point. Yeah, I truly regret wasting so much time and posts in an issue like this, and I will try holding back my urge to do so.

There is only one inevitable problem that I have seen: "those very few people who actually can do that in an appropriate way" are prone to be reluctant and/or quite slow to respond when such a reminder or advanced treatments is really in need.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 7th, 2022, 10:35 am

GUYTU6J wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 10:27 am
Very good point. Yeah, I truly regret wasting so much time and posts in an issue like this, and I will try holding back my urge to do so.

There is only one inevitable problem that I have seen: "those very few people who actually can do that in an appropriate way" are prone to be reluctant and/or quite slow to respond when such a reminder or advanced treatments is really in need.
I'll try to be slightly more clear here, even though I am not really sure it is a good idea.

GUYTU6J, I do not think you have the necessary experience to be able to actually really determine exactly "when such a reminder or advanced treatments is really in need". I think you cannot know that at all.

Also i do not think you need to "interpret" any specific actions of anyone else on these forums and/or on the wiki in any specific way. These are not "signals" of any kind, at least these are not "signals" to you.

As a CA enthusiast and a LifeWiki editor, all you can really do is to try to continue to be a CA enthusiast and a LifeWiki editor, as long as that seems possible to you. Do not try to play a moderator. Being a moderator is not what you seem to think about when talking about "duty". Rather, I think it is more like a penal servitude. You do not actually want to be a moderator.

I'm sorry if I failed to explain myself, but probably I will not be able to continue to participate in this duscussion further too long, since my resources are limited.
Unlikely events happen.

GUYTU6J

Post by GUYTU6J » June 7th, 2022, 11:00 am

confocaloid wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 10:35 am
Okay, okay, you are certainly right that I am not qualified to moderate forums.

My last post was intended to end this discussion with a simple objective fact. I guess you interpreted my specific remark "There is only one inevitable problem that I have seen" as a signal of me finding an excuse to defend my policing behaviour. But there was no such implication beyong its literal meaning; I just wanted to see how others would feel to the phenomenon, or better, take action to disprove it.

My apologies if I failed to convey my ideas clearly and wasted your resources.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 7th, 2022, 11:11 am

FWIW this diff seems simultaneously fun and worrisome to me. Or maybe I'm just a little bit too old to get the joke or something.
Unlikely events happen.

confocaloid

Re: Organized Non-academic Thread to make up for our loss

Post by confocaloid » June 8th, 2022, 5:55 am

hotdogPi wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 6:17 pm
I would rather have an organized miscellaneous academic and/or about the forum itself thread.
Unfortunately the word "academic" means different things for different people.
I did read the forum rules which say "This is an English-language academic forum" and "This is an academic forum, not a chat or microblogging platform."

Since after all this is a conversational thread, as someone who likes to look at evolving CA patterns I'll put here some quotes from an essay "How to write mathematics" by Paul R. Halmos:
[...] There are advantages and disadvantages to addressing a very sharply specified audience. A great advantage is that it makes easier the mind reading that is necessary; a disadvantage is that it becomes tempting to indulge in snide polemic comments and heavy-handed "in" jokes. It is surely obvious what I mean by the disadvantage, and it is obviously bad; avoid it. [...]

[...] I do not mean that the style is to be pedantic, or heavy-handed, or formal, or bureaucratic, or flowery, or academic jargon. I do mean that it should be completely unobtrusive, like good background music for a movie, so that the reader may proceed with no conscious or unconscious blocks caused by the instrument of communication and not its content. [...]

[...] There is another rule, the major one, and everybody knows it, the one whose violation is the most frequent source of mathematical error: make sure that the "obvious" is true. [...]
Unlikely events happen.

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » June 8th, 2022, 9:48 am

So , is this thread legalised ?
Have a suuuuperior day !

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

AlbertArmStain

Post by AlbertArmStain » June 8th, 2022, 8:48 pm

BokaBB wrote:
June 8th, 2022, 9:48 am
So , is this thread legalised ?
I’m pretty sure it is. Also, the rules that I mentioned no longer apply because I Edited it:
AlbertArmStain wrote:

BokaBB

Post by BokaBB » June 9th, 2022, 1:21 am

In case if it is allowed to talk about non - CA or non - forum - related topics here , I would like for us to talk about one such topic here . What are your picks ?
Have a suuuuperior day !

BokaBB
I CAN APGSEARCH NOW!

Have a good day!

BokaBB

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 9th, 2022, 5:54 am

You better not ask where this MWSS came from. (In case you were wondering, it came from the dark side)

Code: Select all

x = 38, y = 38, rule = B3/S23
18b2o$18b2o2$15b2o4b2o$15b2o4b2o2$12b2o10b2o$12b2o10b2o2$9b2o16b2o$9b
2o16b2o2$6b2o22b2o$6b2o22b2o2$3b2o28b2o$3b2o28b2o2$2o34b2o$2o34b2o2$3b
2o28b2o$3b2o28b2o$18bo$6b2o8bo3bo9b2o$6b2o13bo8b2o$16bo4bo$9b2o6b5o5b
2o$9b2o16b2o2$12b2o10b2o$12b2o10b2o2$15b2o4b2o$15b2o4b2o2$18b2o$18b2o!
Unlikely events happen.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » June 10th, 2022, 11:45 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
June 10th, 2022, 11:32 pm
Whoops, I clicked on this button accidentally when trying to save a view of this thread for archival purpose:
Honestly, this seems childish for someone who has the ability to bump topics and accidentally modify time of posts. As well as expecting people to do your homework and explore your very own rule. As well as demanding that people answer your questions. Such behaviour is harmful to the community.

Please do not disrupt forums. Let a hundred flowers bloom, as they say
Unlikely events happen.